any one with a cz 527 223 using 5.56 rounds

Thinking of buying a cz 527 varmint in 223.

Has anyone been using their cz527  223 with 5.56 rounds?

I noticed this on the cz website

Q: “Can CZ rifles chambered in .223 fire 5.56 ammunition safely?”

A: All of our .223s will happily eat 5.56. Since our factory is in Europe, we build everything to CIP spec, which doesn’t differentiate between the two cartridges and just has the higher pressure as its standard. So the CZ .223s will shoot everything from the cheapest Russian steel to match .223 brass ammo.

Edited by riflehunter583

Why? 

Field work will almost guaranteed be better with one of the many/assorted .223 rounds!

5.56 are commonly FMJ, and of course, higher pressure than .223.  So, if you want military target work a 5.56 rifle would be better, not a CZ527.

Edited by Deker

YES

No problem, don't believe the 'advice' you hear from the "health & safety' hordes??

You can shoot that ammo for ever , that said because it's MIL ammo it's crap so don't expect

good accuracy (cos you won't get it).

Anyway if your serious get some decent ballistic tip/hollow point, in 55gr and start from there.

AndyF

I once pulled the bullets on a thousand radway green ammo and seated a thousand 55 grn ballistic tips for a keeper friend and he got 1"+ groups at 100 yards and took hundreds of fox's with them over 20 years.

U.

8 hours ago, Underdog said:

I once pulled the bullets on a thousand radway green ammo and seated a thousand 55 grn ballistic tips for a keeper friend and he got 1"+ groups at 100 yards and took hundreds of fox's with them over 20 years.

U.

i have loads of once fired ggg brass thought i might try some 50 g v max in them with some durable primers :)

Edited by riflehunter583
9 hours ago, andyf said:

YES

No problem, don't believe the 'advice' you hear from the "health & safety' hordes??

You can shoot that ammo for ever , that said because it's MIL ammo it's crap so don't expect

good accuracy (cos you won't get it).

Anyway if your serious get some decent ballistic tip/hollow point, in 55gr and start from there.

AndyF

The OP says CZ have said they build their guns to take the roughly 20% extra pressure form 5.56 so that shouldn't be a problem. That being the case I question why they stamp them as .223 and not .223/5.56!

The main problem is performance as you mention, 5.56 is notoriously cheaply made, inaccurate and inconsistent.

Strange as it may seem I am still using what's left of a 5000 batch of Radway Green 7.62 from 1985 and it is remarkably good, regrettably my experience with their 5.56 is quite the opposite!

:thumbs:

Edited by Deker
  • Like 1

The thing about military ammo is that it doesn't  want / need to be accurate. you don't want to put 3 rounds through on hole in one bloke. You've only got to look at war time guns like the sten, some of which oñly had 2 grove rifling

19 hours ago, riflehunter583 said:

an ex army boy said he could shoot into 6 inchs at 400 yards with an sa80 and susat.

how true this is i have no idea.

not accurate enough for hunting but good enough to shoot on my local 500 yard range, save the brass for varminting

Never say never, but...….I wish you well, a lot of people would be pleased to get 6" groups with a CZ 527 in .223 at 400 yards with 5.56 ammo!

Let us know how you get on at the range.

ATB! :thumbs:

1 hour ago, ChrisJones said:

6" groupings at 400 yards? I thought H&K sorted those rifles out?!

Your average squaddie would be happy with 6" at 400 yards.  Frankly, that is a kill shot every time out to 400yards, which obviously doesn't happen!    Whilst the guns were never designed as target tools the ammo is a chunk of the problem.

My understanding is that Radway Green were almost forced to make 5.56 for the British army, the result, put simply, is they don't give a fig about the ammo quality, an that has been my experience using the stuff!

2 hours ago, Deker said:

Your average squaddie would be happy with 6" at 400 yards.  Frankly, that is a kill shot every time out to 400yards, which obviously doesn't happen!    Whilst the guns were never designed as target tools the ammo is a chunk of the problem.

My understanding is that Radway Green were almost forced to make 5.56 for the British army, the result, put simply, is they don't give a fig about the ammo quality, an that has been my experience using the stuff!

Fair enough on ammo quality but I'm genuinely astonished that particular rifle is pulling those kinds of groups. I'd expect a lot tighter.

27 minutes ago, ChrisJones said:

Fair enough on ammo quality but I'm genuinely astonished that particular rifle is pulling those kinds of groups. I'd expect a lot tighter.

I honestly don't know what the SA80 is really capable of, but a big problem, without any doubt is the ammo.

Some developed hand loads may well do better!

Who knows, who has tried?

Edited by Deker
18 minutes ago, Deker said:

I honestly don't know what the SA80 is really capable of, but a big problem, without any doubt is the ammo.

Some developed hand loads may well do better!

Who knows, who has tried?

Same and it's not likely we'll get any to play with without joining up.

6" at 400 yards is still the equivalent of a headshot too I'm just genuinely surprised that the A2 variant was shooting that considering the results they've been getting in marksmanship competitions. I'm very interested in how the new A3 variant will perform after this.

I kinda want one now just to see! :laugh: