.22 lr for fox

I was having a discussion the other day with a chap i know about the suitability of .22 lr using subs on fox. Now i know they are regularly used in suburban gardens and the like at quite close ranges with good effect. However this chap claims a fox will drop on the spot at 100yds with a boiler room shot using subs. I just don,t know about that, never having used a .22 on fox,  has anyone on here done that or is it as i suspect too much to ask of the small round?  

Its only in recent times the some feos who make it up as they go along have said that the 22lr isn't suitable for fox but before the advent of 22cf the 22lr was considered to be a powerful  rifle.  I have shot more foxes with my 22lr than my 222, 223 or 243 combined. As with anything you have to consider shot placement. I have dropped them out to about 80 paces in the engine room on the spot. A few have run a bit before they dropped but that happens with any cal and is nerve energy when you see the bullet damage. Even if you have an elephant rifle the bullet has to hit something important not in the back leg or you just end up with a wounded animal.

• Like 4

I took a Big one at 100 yards exactly with Magtech 40g HP subs about 4 years ago.

It was not a shot I would normally take, as, in my opinion, EVERYTHING has to be right for a shot like that (and it isn't often).  Trotting across the field, I was already down on the bipod, he was broadside, I called, he stopped and that was it.   He did drop on the spot from a heart shot.

I wasn't after fox, and would rarely take them at this distance with a .22LR, I would certainly favour a HMR or WMR at 100, just the same, it's doable!

Edited by Deker
  • Like 1

I carry a 22lr on my rounds in the morning . It’s great for dispatching foxes in a snare . If I see Charlie I will also take a pop at him with my 22lr . I would rather use a centerfire , but needs must . I have hit foxes at 100 yards plus . But a sub sonic is dropping rapidly at this range . I practice constantly , on magpies and squirrels and rabbits and am pretty good at judging the amount of hold-over . But even so you are guessing . A 40 grain 22lr does pack a punch but I think best advice is keep the range to about 60 yards on foxes then you can really get good bullet placement , because if you start to stretch the range out you can’t be as accurate and although you will drop foxes , some will run off , maybe on a death run or more likely a lingering and miserable death .

Edited by shovel leaner
Spelling mistake shit instead of hit?
  • Like 2

My fao has the same view that the 22 isn't suitable for a fox and offered me a 22.50  i knocked him back and said thanks the amount of foxes i would shoot with it would be small and it would mean carrying two rifles  , but the thing is the amount of foxes i shoot whilst lamping  is descent and if you get a head shot  there dead only once i shot one in the engine room and couldn't find in with the lamp and next day it was within 5 yards of where i shot it but then things look so different in the dark 

its possible but not advisable 

I try to limit to 60 yards when shooting fox with 22lr.

I found subs dump  energy into the fox more where velocitors go right through stun the fox and possibly getting back up again after a few minutes

Edited by riflehunter583
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, riflehunter583 said:

its possible but not advisable 

I try to limit to 60 yards when shooting fox with 22lr.

I found subs dump  energy into the fox more where velocitors go right through stun the fox and possibly getting back up again after a few minutes

Any fox I shoot with a rimfire gets extra rounds free of charge!

• Like 3

Well doable if you out it in the engine room. I used to work on the idea that if I could see two separate eyes then it was within range. A lot of it is down to knowing your ground. Pacing it out in daylight so that you know that it is say 100 paces from that gate to that hedge, how to get from this field across to that field taking account of the wind. Using the contours of the ground, that hedgeròw and that woòd to give cover so that you are backgrounded. Easy when you know how.