Prepare ya sens...

31 minutes ago, LuckOrJudgement said:

As has been already said there's been a few of these.

How often do you hear about accidents involving kids getting blasted with 12 bores in the UK? 

If you’re hinting at the fact that we don’t hear about it at all really, due to the weapon being licensed and to that effect, is locked up? I get what your saying if that’s what you mean and it’s perhaps a fair point.

5 hours ago, Rez said:

If you’re hinting at the fact that we don’t hear about it at all really, due to the weapon being licensed and to that effect, is locked up? I get what your saying if that’s what you mean and it’s perhaps a fair point.

That is my point, Rez. 

A bit more accountability, and some basic safety principles could have prevented this. Not such a bad thing?

The details of this particular incident are unknown, and I can only imagine whatever chain of events would lead to this boy dying from a pellet wound. Ultimately the person with the most questions to answer is whoever had responsibility for the weapon within that household. 

• Like 2

As I have said before, I have no issue with having a license after all I have them for shotguns and firearms so one more is fine. It is without doubt a terrible thing to happen, he is not the first and he will not be the last and that is a fact, license or no license.

One of my old staff lost his 21year old son about 8 years ago with a stray pellet from his friend's air rifle went through his eye and into the brain. I have never seen a man so shattered as he was but when we were able to talk about the incident, he was not at all against guns in any way, it was after all a very sad accident.

any such sad death will give ammunition to the anti brigade and no amount of advising them of the vast majority of gun owners are safe and use their guns in a safe manner.

As a young lad of 16 and a keen wildfowler, I witnessed a chap shooting out of one of the war time pilboxes on the foreshore when, as he was about to take a shot at a lapwing, his brother walked in front of him at that very second the trigger was pulled. The mess in the pilbox was awful and the young man was dead before they got him off the marsh. That has never left me so I have very strict code of practice when I am out with any of my guns or for that matter anyone who is out with me and that includes anyone who is not doing the right thing at clay shoots as several blokes have found to their shame.

Phil 

• Like 4

Having a license to drive, does not stop a driver, drunk or sober from mowing someone down if they are driving dangerously,  gun, car, whatever, misuse  is the key, people will always misuse and act stupidly with whatever, how many children get killed or badly injured every year on our roads compared with deaths or injury from airguns? Hundreds of times more I would suggest, however there is no call to ban cars, or indeed introduce a license to OWN a car.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

There are laws and penalties now for allowing air guns to fall into the hands of children unsupervised . Licensing will make air gunning safer there will be less air guns .There is often the odd death each year from an air gun but a lot more deaths each year from licensed shotguns and the licensed shotgun owner has a clean criminal and mental history , may be its time to stop people with clean records from owning shotguns also , you know it makes sense . .

9 hours ago, barrywhite said:

There are laws and penalties now for allowing air guns to fall into the hands of children unsupervised . Licensing will make air gunning safer there will be less air guns .There is often the odd death each year from an air gun but a lot more deaths each year from licensed shotguns and the licensed shotgun owner has a clean criminal and mental history , may be its time to stop people with clean records from owning shotguns also , you know it makes sense . .

The thing is there are billions of air rifles out there

and not every one will put in for a agc and a hell of a lot of air rifles will go under ground

i cant for the life of me think how there going to police it

and for the ones that say an air rifle is not capable of killing a human 

well think again lads

iv all ways said air rifles now are capable of a lot more than we think

and how many are out there that are turned up that should not be

its things like that that spoil our sport,,, idiots with an air gun ,,with no conception 

of what they hold in there hands

just my opinion mind

atvbjimmy:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

• Like 1

Got told on my fac renewal couple of years ago I couldn't keep air guns any more and had to get rid! I only had them for the kids to play with anyway so had to chuck em in the sea, separate license here for airgun now see. Used to shoot each other all the time with em as kids ? was great fun and still a 22 pellet in my face as a reminder ?