Man Drowns, And Two Missing

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Iv'e swam in the quarry at Long Itchington loads of times in the past when i lived that way,it's a risky game swimming in wild waters as such but i for one learnt to swim in a river and i'll have a be

I always remember the warnings about swimming in lakes and large bodies of water. Once you get out of your depth, the temperature will plummet sharply, always stay near to shore and no deeper than you

You have watched a few drown! Fcuking hell do you drive a boat carrying illegal immigrants for a living. Once is enough to see that kind of thing.

Posted Images

Iv'e swam in the quarry at Long Itchington loads of times in the past when i lived that way,it's a risky game swimming in wild waters as such but i for one learnt to swim in a river and i'll have a bet most of us older members all learnt to swim in wild waters as well.

• Like 5

The river Lagan and the sea.. Bloody freezing, but you learn how it affects you, and compensate. I think it is the cold shock that is killing these folks... and with the sudden muscle contraction, and the depth of these quarries.. 

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, mackem said:

Go to 0.19 to see how quick someone drowns in hot weather,there used to be a different clip one guy gets into difficulty another guy jumps in to save him,both died.

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=s9s9n_1532432470

Looked to me like he couldn't swim, or was it just how the water affected him?

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, stumfelter said:

Looked to me like he couldn't swim, or was it just how the water affected him?

He looks like he cant swim mate,there was another one of a guy who couldn't swim who jumped in the ganges in india,he didn't last long either.

I always remember the warnings about swimming in lakes and large bodies of water. Once you get out of your depth, the temperature will plummet sharply, always stay near to shore and no deeper than you can stand. 

The sea is the worst one. I'm a very strong swimmer and I've been in difficulties here while snorkeling no more than 20m from shore. Ran into a severe temp drop, as I swam above a deep channel, truthfully I though I was a gonner. Got to the other side of the channel, tread water for a min to get my breath back and then managed to drag my ass to shore and onto the beach in a right kerfuffle :laugh:

I think the main problem is when people panic, their brains and bodies shut down instead of calmly getting to grips with the situation. Seen the same thing when people are faced with car accidents and severe trauma. Panic sets in, they just get in the way and generally become useless. 

• Like 5

My wifes young nephew (21) died six or seven years ago while out with the university cave diving club , after a morning in the caves he went with the other lads for a swim in the loch to clean of , a massive fitness fan and an extremely good swimmer he was a fair way out when the other lads called him , he started to swim towards them and when a minute or so later they turned round he was gone .... wild swimming can catch out even the most experienced if the elements are against them ..

20 minutes ago, mushroom said:

I think the main problem is when people panic, their brains and bodies shut down instead of calmly getting to grips with the situation. 

Happened to me years ago,snorkelling from the shore,didnt mean to go out far,loads of corals and tropical fish,the sea was getting choppy,i kept diving to look at the corals,bit further out....bit further out....I put my head up and suddenly realised how far the shore was and how windy it had become,i felt panic but had to fight it,put my head down and kicked for the shore trying to blank out negative thoughts,never been so glad to touch bottom with my feet and stand up.

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, mackem said:

Happened to me years ago,snorkelling from the shore,didnt mean to go out far,loads of corals and tropical fish,the sea was getting choppy,i kept diving to look at the corals,bit further out....bit further out....I put my head up and suddenly realised how far the shore was and how windy it had become,i felt panic but had to fight it,put my head down and kicked for the shore trying to blank out negative thoughts,never been so glad to touch bottom with my feet and stand up.

That's exactly it mate, you have to calm your mind and overcome that adversity and negative feeling.

That panic is one of the most horrible things I've ever experienced. I had this voice inside telling me to calm down, tread water for a while (longest I've done before is 30mins fully clothed) so felt confident. Once I composed myself, straight to shore. Like you say, I've never been as happy/relieved as when my feet touched terra firma lol

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, mushroom said:

That's exactly it mate, you have to calm your mind and overcome that adversity and negative feeling.

That panic is one of the most horrible things I've ever experienced. I had this voice inside telling me to calm down, tread water for a while (longest I've done before is 30mins fully clothed) so felt confident. Once I composed myself, straight to shore. Like you say, I've never been as happy/relieved as when my feet touched terra firma lol

very true , years ago when i was   18 lol , was walking down the canal tow path , with a mate and young staff bitch  i had, we got round the corner  when 3 young lads came running up shouting , that there mate had fell in  where it was quite deep. we went running round to him, he was about  3 yards out, flapping ab kcckout  going up/down in the water , looked  at my mate he just stood still, he must have been in shock. i got me jacket off and shoes  off , and slipped  me self in nice and steady towards him. he was going crazy with his arms  trying to get me, i got him in the neck and  squeezed  the fecker hard as i could trying to strangle him. straight away he went for my right arm around his neck , that best thing  i wanted him to to do, that left me to swim and pull with my left arm , got him to the edge quite quick, and my mate and the lads pulled him out, he was ok  swallowed   some water  but ok just bit in shock, we took him to the house  round the corner  a bloke and his wife took him in think they called a ambulance  dont for get this in the 70s . i think if he been a bloke or  bigger lad  we both be in trouble and prob both drown  , but even normal size 12 year old lad   he fought like little  tiger  fighting for his life  everybody gets strong then .!!

• Like 4
54 minutes ago, bird said:

very true , years ago when i was   18 lol , was walking down the canal tow path , with a mate and young staff bitch  i had, we got round the corner  when 3 young lads came running up shouting , that there mate had fell in  where it was quite deep. we went running round to him, he was about  3 yards out, flapping ab kcckout  going up/down in the water , looked  at my mate he just stood still, he must have been in shock. i got me jacket off and shoes  off , and slipped  me self in nice and steady towards him. he was going crazy with his arms  trying to get me, i got him in the neck and  squeezed  the fecker hard as i could trying to strangle him. straight away he went for my right arm around his neck , that best thing  i wanted him to to do, that left me to swim and pull with my left arm , got him to the edge quite quick, and my mate and the lads pulled him out, he was ok  swallowed   some water  but ok just bit in shock, we took him to the house  round the corner  a bloke and his wife took him in think they called a ambulance  dont for get this in the 70s . i think if he been a bloke or  bigger lad  we both be in trouble and prob both drown  , but even normal size 12 year old lad   he fought like little  tiger  fighting for his life  everybody gets strong then .!!

Well done Ray, you didn't tweak your back in the middle of all this did you ?...….could easily have been the start :whistling:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2