Man Drowns, And Two Missing

39 minutes ago, Greyman said:

Two lads from my school days died in the exact same way back in 76 swimming in the local quarry lake, one got into difficulty and pulled the other one under when he tried to help, 

Happened local around 8 years back,two lads walking their dog,the dog got into difficulty the owner went in,he couldn't swim his mate went in for him,the dog scrambled up the bank unhurt the two guys didn't,theres water in the form of rivers,lakes and reservoirs everywhere here,its not unusual for someone to drown.

SecretThames011.jpg

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Iv'e swam in the quarry at Long Itchington loads of times in the past when i lived that way,it's a risky game swimming in wild waters as such but i for one learnt to swim in a river and i'll have a be

I always remember the warnings about swimming in lakes and large bodies of water. Once you get out of your depth, the temperature will plummet sharply, always stay near to shore and no deeper than you

You have watched a few drown! Fcuking hell do you drive a boat carrying illegal immigrants for a living. Once is enough to see that kind of thing.

Posted Images

46 minutes ago, mackem said:

Happened local around 8 years back,two lads walking their dog,the dog got into difficulty the owner went in,he couldn't swim his mate went in for him,the dog scrambled up the bank unhurt the two guys didn't,theres water in the form of rivers,lakes and reservoirs everywhere here,its not unusual for someone to drown.

SecretThames011.jpg

Hear a lot about people going in after dogs and drowning but the dog eventually survives . Maybe people are to quick to go in after the dogs 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Welsh_red said:

Hear a lot about people going in after dogs and drowning but the dog eventually survives . Maybe people are to quick to go in after the dogs 

I once threw a dog in with an 18 inch cavity block tied on his chain. The poor devil never made it.......................... only joking by the way . It was a four inch solid.........., still joking.

4 hours ago, Greyman said:

Two lads from my school days died in the exact same way back in 76 swimming in the local quarry lake, one got into difficulty and pulled the other one under when he tried to help, 

Watch this mate,people keep shouting grab the stick (its actually a floatable log).

https://www.bestgore.com/drowning/two-men-appear-drown-foot-of-ferry-niagara-river-buffalo-ny/

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, South hams hunter said:

I think every kid in Plymouth has swam in the sea in depth they couldn't stand in, we all spend our summers diving and tombstoning on the hoe. Our parents use to swim in and across the Tamar from pub to pub

Too true...

You're chucked in the sea down this way as a kid, lol..

My kids are both good swimmers, just spent 10 days away in the sea snorkling or pool everyday, but I'm very careful with them...

Always wear buoyancy aids when we're on the kayaks... my lad has surfing lessons as an after school club, he's happier in the water than out lol.. 

There Terrible tragedies that has happened in the last weeks... rip to.them.all

• Like 4
31 minutes ago, South hams hunter said:

I think every kid in Plymouth has swam in the sea in depth they couldn't stand in, we all spend our summers diving and tombstoning on the hoe. Our parents use to swim in and across the Tamar from pub to pub

If your born in it then it comes naturally. I live in the only county in Ireland that doesn't even touch a county that borders the sea. All we know is turf, bogs , forests and fcuk all swimming 

1 hour ago, NEWKID said:

Too true...

You're chucked in the sea down this way as a kid, lol..

My kids are both good swimmers, just spent 10 days away in the sea snorkling or pool everyday, but I'm very careful with them...

Always wear buoyancy aids when we're on the kayaks... my lad has surfing lessons as an after school club, he's happier in the water than out lol.. 

There Terrible tragedies that has happened in the last weeks... rip to.them.all

Mine are the same mate, my little one that's 3 next month has been swimming since she was 12 weeks and my one year old since she was 8 weeks. The older one can swim and I don't mean keep herself afloat I mean swim. She's got all manner of lifesaver skills down to an art and will happily dive to the bottom of the pool for a ring before coming back up and can swim at a guess 10 metres. I suppose the difference is they are always by the water, if we go for a walk there's normally a river(again every kid I've ever known jumps and swims in these) and if not we are either fishing, crabbing or digging worms so to me it was imperative they both swim well.

You have to have a vest on a yak though don't you, people don't realise the depth below them, I can remember fishing a Tamar mark and thinking it could only be a few meter or so deep but it took a while to hit the bottom with a 6 Oz lead and this is a spot all the kids swim.

• Like 3

IMG_20180713_144314.thumb.jpg.b98529c8894b78a973e9d48b0a0641bc.jpgIMG_20180713_143730.thumb.jpg.bc701acfb22dbfb4e5385f81106ee255.jpg

1 hour ago, jiggy said:

If your born in it then it comes naturally. I live in the only county in Ireland that doesn't even touch a county that borders the sea. All we know is turf, bogs , forests and fcuk all swimming 

I suppose that's the difference jiggy, so I suppose in this heat the kids would be drawn to something like that but not really know truelly what's going on.

This is my city on a map, the orange is a very large tidal river with huge currents and tides of upto 6ms with many creeks and tributaries, the green is a tidal estuary (plym estuary), the blue is the freshwater part of the plym and the yellow is the sea front part of the city and harbour. We have 2 sea water pool complexes, at least 5 leisure centres with pools, the navy, the dockyard, several piers, sea diving boards, more marinas/moorings then I dare count and at least 3 largish freshwater rivers where families picnic etc... Heck all we know is water 

Screenshot_20180728_232732.thumb.jpg.6252d280427fec429e80910c1eb2dce7.jpg

Edited by South hams hunter
Add photos
  • Like 1

i was brought up by my grandparent's we lived on a hill.when i was 18 gran was in hospital.i went home at 10:00pm and found my the back yard full of water there was a main's pipe gushing out water that my grandfather was going to fix.the 3ft deep hole was dug in the day.water was lapping over the back door step.

so i panicked and started scooping a bucket full of water a time and throwing it onto the lawn.trying to stop the water from coming in the house.

and thinking were the feck is he.grandfather.it was pitch dark apart from light from the kitchen door.then i seen something floating near my foot.it was him dead.

fecking shock was mental.so near water in the dark still scare's me now.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
9 minutes ago, king said:

i was brought up by my grandparent's we lived on a hill.when i was 18 gran was in hospital.i went home at 10:00pm and found my the back yard full of water there was a main's pipe gushing out water that my grandfather was going to fix.the 3ft deep hole was dug in the day.water was lapping over the back door step.

so i panicked and started scooping a bucket full of water a time and throwing it onto the lawn.trying to stop the water from coming in the house.

and thinking were the feck is he.grandfather.it was pitch dark apart from light from the kitchen door.then i seen something floating near my foot.it was him dead.

f***ing hell ... I bet it does

9 hours ago, South hams hunter said:

IMG_20180713_144314.thumb.jpg.b98529c8894b78a973e9d48b0a0641bc.jpgIMG_20180713_143730.thumb.jpg.bc701acfb22dbfb4e5385f81106ee255.jpg

I suppose that's the difference jiggy, so I suppose in this heat the kids would be drawn to something like that but not really know truelly what's going on.

This is my city on a map, the orange is a very large tidal river with huge currents and tides of upto 6ms with many creeks and tributaries, the green is a tidal estuary (plym estuary), the blue is the freshwater part of the plym and the yellow is the sea front part of the city and harbour. We have 2 sea water pool complexes, at least 5 leisure centres with pools, the navy, the dockyard, several piers, sea diving boards, more marinas/moorings then I dare count and at least 3 largish freshwater rivers where families picnic etc... Heck all we know is water 

Screenshot_20180728_232732.thumb.jpg.6252d280427fec429e80910c1eb2dce7.jpg

largest mass of water near me.?IMG_0252.thumb.JPG.abea668dd92c44e3932c5be5c8d07f53.JPG

• Haha 1
On 28/07/2018 at 23:36, king said:

Bloody hell, wasn't expecting that ending. Sorry about that mate