Bipod or No Bipod?

Currently have a BSA R10 MK2 and trying to decide if I would benefit from fitting a bipod to it. I would say 65% of my shooting is done walking round fields/farmland/woodland taking standing shots as they appear and the remaining 35% is taken from prone position on a hedgerow at 2 permissions. 

Those who have bipods, do you find them irritating when not using them? Do you remove and attach them as needed for each session? 

Just trying to weigh up the pros and cons before I jump in and buy one

Thanks in advance!

Benn 

IMG_20180710_190035_Bokeh.jpg

Edited by Benn McIntyre
Spelling
  • Like 1

I have a bipods on all my PCP guns but most of my shooting is off the knee. Only time I use them is to just put the gun down , instead  of laying the stock on the ground 

You can buy some which are quick release like the javelin

https://javelinbipod.co.uk/collections/bipods/products/javelin-long

The one I use are these easy to take off and on my first one I got about 8 years ago and still going strong

http://www.jsramsbottom.com/products/bipods--rests-bipods/utgtl-bp69s-utg--jsr-target-pro-tactical-panning--bipod-picatinny-rails-and-qr-stud-[9---11]-tl-bp69.html or https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tactical-Picatinny-Ajustable-Hunting-Shooting/dp/B019P048U8/ref=lp_454847031_1_30?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1532677794&sr=1-30

Or you could use sticks but pain in the arse to carry around 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Primos-Trigger-Deluxe-Hunting-Shooting/dp/B00BD5TC5U/ref=sr_1_3?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1532678572&sr=1-3&keywords=shooting+sticks

• Like 1

The only time I consciously put the bipod on is if I’m going to a paddock perm because most of the shots will be taken prone and the grass is short!

other wise nearly all my shots are while stalking are freehand or off the knee as you just need to get the shot on before you get busted... if my bipod broke I wouldn’t bother replacing it and yeah there a pain in the arse when on for no reason, it gets vegetation stuck in it and ruins the balance to!

like Mitch above said sticks are a pain to cart about but I wouldn’t be without mine for nighttime ratting, there perfect for shitty farms?

In the summer both me PCP’s are quiped with a pod. As I’m mainly afters bugs and know there spots. Winter time they come off though as I’m favouring the birds. 

Super sweet image that too. 

• Like 1

Bipods will always give you an edge when compared to free shooting, it's just a matter of how much edge you may need, how often, and what is the trade off having one fitted.

As others have mentioned, support can also commonly be found by way of fences, trees, buildings, car bonnets, your mates shoulder etc., but not always of course, also balance this with general airgun distances.

That leaves you with a personal decision based on your own shooting needs.

I have studs fitted on my FAC Falcon so a Harris is quick and easy, but it is rare I attach one.  On the other hand, my rimfires and centrefires virtually never go out without a bipod attached!

:thumbs:

2 hours ago, pepper 45 said:

i'v got a bipod on my bsa r10 mk2. i'v got to take it off to fill it. just something to think about! ?

????  have you got a bottle fit Bipod?  The OP has studs on the stock, plenty of Bipod fittings attach to that, so no problem with filling!

Edited by Deker

I always have a bipod fitted to my guns, 80% of the time i dont use it but if im laying out side warrens its great and when shooting longtails in barns i find a spot to stand where i can shoot with the bipod, i think theyr realy handy at times.

If youv got one that ataches to the stud then you have to take the bipod off but as said you can get some that fit to your bottle to save you messing about, youd think bsa would have realised that by now and moved the stud hole over to the front an inch or 2

• Like 1
2 hours ago, big napper said:

If youv got one that ataches to the stud then you have to take the bipod off but as said you can get some that fit to your bottle to save you messing about, youd think bsa would have realised that by now and moved the stud hole over to the front an inch or 2

Help me out, looking at the front stud in the op, why would you need to take the bipod off to fill the gun?

I just don't see why, what have I missed, can you tell me please!?  Cheers

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=bsa+r10+with+bipod&qpvt=bsa+r10+with+bipod&view=detail&mid=9A56E02408C079E6DE779A56E02408C079E6DE77&&FORM=VRDGAR

Edited by Deker