falconry help

bobby93

hi there,

I've been going out hunting with my friend and his 2 harris hawks for the last couple of seasons now and absalouty love it ! 

and now I'm thinking of getting myself a harris next year maybe, I do understand the time and effort needed for keeping a HH. I have learned a lot from my friend and he wil also be there to help me if I do decided to get one.

my question is though. at the start of training a young HH how do you find and determine there flight weight ?I've looked all round online and anything I have found has been really vague.  Ive just ordered a falconry book to read and like I said my mate will be there to help me along but the more knowledge I have from other people and sources the better 

cheers

6 hours ago, bobby93 said:

hi there,

I've been going out hunting with my friend and his 2 harris hawks for the last couple of seasons now and absalouty love it ! 

and now I'm thinking of getting myself a harris next year maybe, I do understand the time and effort needed for keeping a HH. I have learned a lot from my friend and he wil also be there to help me if I do decided to get one.

my question is though. at the start of training a young HH how do you find and determine there flight weight ?I've looked all round online and anything I have found has been really vague.  Ive just ordered a falconry book to read and like I said my mate will be there to help me along but the more knowledge I have from other people and sources the better 

cheers

Glad you enjoy the sport firstly make sure bird is well manned use to you and surroundings feeding off the glove. Put harris hawk on the creance show bird food from a couple feet if not interested reduce weight in very small reductions until it comes to you then increase the distance once coming instantly this is usually around flying weight it will go up slightly as bird gets fitter hope this helps cheers

yeah pal I have some experience in manning a bird and thanks for the advice as I've said I've done a lot of research and have a falconry book in en route ad we speak although ive struggeled to find much information in finding a flying weigh advice much appreciatied, one more thing I've heard people talking about flying weigh and killing weight is this the same thing ?

You will find that a Harris's will fly to you at a high weight. You will have to bring the weight down to make a young hawk take the plunge and tackle quarry.

Once they have had a few kills you can try the weight up a bit until it goes off the boil. As muscle and confidence grow its weight will increase, its all trial and error. There are a number of factors to take into account, the weather, they need more fuel when its cold. The quality of meat, ie  red/white meat all have differing calorific values. Also the amount of exercise its had will determine the amount of food needed to maintain a certain weight.