Preferred weight for long nets

Chaff

Just looking at getting some new nets for the coming season, after trying to untangle and repair my 4oz jobs but they are well and truly Donald ducked. I thought maybe a heavier 8oz would  be easier to work with but wonder if rabbit would just bounce off rather than tangle ?

18 minutes ago, fred90 said:

what do you want them for? ferreting or night netting?

Just for ferreting Fred

Terry I know what you mean mate but thought it might be  a bit quicker and easier with a heavier net 

• Like 1
Just now, Phil Lloyd said:

A well rigged 4z net is ideal for the darkness...?

What's you're preferred daytime net then Phil ? 

Would a well bagged 8z do the job, if not why are they made and sold ?

Another thing springs to mind is colour what would work for me would be as bright as possible, it just kind of goes against the grain with me thinking along the lines of ...if I can't see it then rabbits not going to...

Rabbits see nets no doubt in the day. Seen a few skip around the end of even a green 4oz stop net if I was daft enough to leave a gap. Then others just commit to there route regardless and some just walk into them

30651233620_15d0c032b2_b.jpg

35707395972_49311f475d_b.jpg

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Chaff said:

What's you're preferred daytime net then Phil ? 

Would a well bagged 8z do the job, if not why are they made and sold ?

Why are purse nets 4 z 6 z 8 z 10 z and 12z personal choice 

9 minutes ago, terryd said:

Pursenets purse and longnets are meant to wrap the buggers up. If you used 12z longnet you might as well use chicken wire :laugh: But yes it is all personal choice 

i think chicken wire might be a bit lighter 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Mesh size is just as important.. if it' start of season and mesh is 2 big or a hard winter and rabbits have no weight then you will lose some..

2 small and the rabbit won' get its head through the mesh and it will chew holes..

I like 4z but would use 6 if I was around something like thistles  that might snag the 4z nets and keep them from working.

4 hours ago, smithie said:

Mesh size is just as important.. if it' start of season and mesh is 2 big or a hard winter and rabbits have no weight then you will lose some..

2 small and the rabbit won' get its head through the mesh and it will chew holes..

I like 4z but would use 6 if I was around something like thistles  that might snag the 4z nets and keep them from working.

aye i start and finish the season on 2 inch meshed nets then once theres less chance of catching smaller rabbits i use 2 1/8 meshed nets 

1 hour ago, The one said:

aye i start and finish the season on 2 inch meshed nets then once theres less chance of catching smaller rabbits i use 2 1/8 meshed nets 

So an 1/8th of an inch makes a difference !

Why not use 2 inch all year ?