ancestry.

Not wishing to piss anyone's fires here but; Frankly? I think all this " Ancestry DNA " shit is the biggest pile since 'Jesus Saves'. And I'm extremely deeply into Genealogy.

But, I've spent £K's on paper. I know who my people were, because I own their Birth, Marriage and Death Certificates (Or at least official copies)

I mean, look at Greb there. Case in point. His Irishness has gone down 5%?! How the Fukk does That happen then? Great, Great, Great, Great Uncle Seamus has suddenly been wiped from history? He's suddenly ceased to have ever existed?

Never married Mary and had a dozen kids. So, out of no where, Greb magically becomes 5% less Irish? Fukk Off!!!!! ?

And, what if Wolfy there gives me a blood transfusion? Would a DNA test on me suddenly come back with a percentage of West African? If not? Why not? He has West African DNA. It's in his blood. So, if his blood gets in me ....?

Cut ye a deal; Sling Me fifty quid. (Aren't these Ancestry ones seventy odd?) I'll tell ye what percentages of what ye have. Fukking Easy! And you go ahead and try and prove I'm wrong!

Of course, ye won't. Because that would make ye look a kunt for having just shelled out good double figures to be told some random bullshit.

There's only one thing that's caught my attention among all that money spinning voodoo. There's a thing called a " Haplo Group ". And there's this particular one that only turns up ~ as a rule ~ in people of 'pure' Romani descent.

Know ye shit and that's not hard to pretty well verify too. Check back a few surnames, at most, and you'll generally nail them anyway.

But, as for the rest of it? Naah. Show me the paper trail. Written records. Names connecting to names, by birth and marriage.

That's my view, anyway.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I always thought the genes are passed down the generations but apparently not ,mine came back 100% Scots Irish English ,my wife's came back ,English and North European ,but my daughters came back 50%

My mum has traced us back through her dad's side, all the way to John of Gaunt. Which would mean I'm decended from King Edward the 1st, except there was a rumour that Mr Gaunt was actually the love ch

It's probably not too hard to go back that far when your 400 yr old ancestors lived in the same villages we do now! LOL. We're like f***ing hobbits that never left the shire!

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, Ken's Deputy said:

Not wishing to piss anyone's fires here but; Frankly? I think all this " Ancestry DNA " shit is the biggest pile since 'Jesus Saves'. And I'm extremely deeply into Genealogy.

But, I've spent £K's on paper. I know who my people were, because I own their Birth, Marriage and Death Certificates (Or at least official copies)

I mean, look at Greb there. Case in point. His Irishness has gone down 5%?! How the Fukk does That happen then? Great, Great, Great, Great Uncle Seamus has suddenly been wiped from history? He's suddenly ceased to have ever existed?

Never married Mary and had a dozen kids. So, out of no where, Greb magically becomes 5% less Irish? Fukk Off!!!!! ?

And, what if Wolfy there gives me a blood transfusion? Would a DNA test on me suddenly come back with a percentage of West African? If not? Why not? He has West African DNA. It's in his blood. So, if his blood gets in me ....?

Cut ye a deal; Sling Me fifty quid. (Aren't these Ancestry ones seventy odd?) I'll tell ye what percentages of what ye have. Fukking Easy! And you go ahead and try and prove I'm wrong!

Of course, ye won't. Because that would make ye look a kunt for having just shelled out good double figures to be told some random bullshit.

There's only one thing that's caught my attention among all that money spinning voodoo. There's a thing called a " Haplo Group ". And there's this particular one that only turns up ~ as a rule ~ in people of 'pure' Romani descent.

Know ye shit and that's not hard to pretty well verify too. Check back a few surnames, at most, and you'll generally nail them anyway.

But, as for the rest of it? Naah. Show me the paper trail. Written records. Names connecting to names, by birth and marriage.

That's my view, anyway.

It changes because the reference panel is constantly growing. 

People read the info wrong, it's not as simple as saying someone is 80% English and 20% Eastern European or whatever. 

You have to remember it's only an estimate, the larger the reference panel the more precise their estimates become. 

And to those who claim they are a pure blood or whatever bollocks.

We inherit 50% of our DNA from our mother and 50% of our DNA from our father, which means that there's 50% of each parents DNA that we don't get. So we all could have a few skeletons in our closet and be non the wiser. ?

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

It changes because the reference panel is constantly growing.

Remind me; What's that inalienable Rule about when one repeatedly performs an action and unfailingly gets the exact same result? That's accepted as for real. Right?

But, this game " changes because the reference panel is constantly growing."?

So, in other words; They genuinely don't know what they're talking about. They are not 'Yet' in possession of the full data sets. They're practically, by definition, making 'best guesses' as they go along.

Fine. Like I say, I'm not knocking anyone's personal choices. But, I'm fukked if I'd shell out good money for that sort of thing.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Ken's Deputy said:

Remind me; What's that inalienable Rule about when one repeatedly performs an action and unfailingly gets the exact same result? That's accepted as for real. Right?

But, this game " changes because the reference panel is constantly growing."?

So, in other words; They genuinely don't know what they're talking about. They are not 'Yet' in possession of the full data sets. They're practically, by definition, making 'best guesses' as they go along.

Fine. Like I say, I'm not knocking anyone's personal choices. But, I'm fukked if I'd shell out good money for that sort of thing.

You're right in a way, it's a load of old bollocks because if you keep going back far enough yours and my ancestors becomes everyone's ancestors. 

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

You're right in a way, it's a load of old bollocks because if you keep going back far enough yours and my ancestors becomes everyone's ancestors. 

Aren't they supposed to be closer to Wolfies though? :laugh:

Naah, seriously, mate; Each to his own. But, personally speaking? To me; It's all about the absolute fascination with the social history aspect of it. I like to 'Know' my ancestors.

I find it absolutely absorbing, discovering that one great uncle died in some foreign field in Belgium. Whilst another died of Diphtheria! (:icon_eek: Straight up!)

That I may have 3% Norwegian blood and so, one of mine may, a couple of thousand years ago, heard the name Eric Blood Axe? Not my cup of tea ;)

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Ken's Deputy said:

Naah, seriously, mate; Each to his own. But, personally speaking? To me; It's all about the absolute fascination with the social history aspect of it. I like to 'Know' my ancestors.

I find it absolutely absorbing, discovering that one great uncle died in some foreign field in Belgium. Whilst another died of Diphtheria! (:icon_eek: Straight up!)

That I may have 3% Norwegian blood and so, one of mine may, a couple of thousand years ago, heard the name Eric Blood Axe? Not my cup of tea ;)

But the thing is mate your family tree is only as honest as the man who wrote it. ?

I get you though, you prefer something you can relate to. 

Just looking at a long lost relation now, died 1915, aged 21 at Gallipoli. 

Regiment: Royal Munster Fusiliers. 

6 minutes ago, Ken's Deputy said:

My father in law is right into it, searches right back through all of our family histories and documents it all...my wife's side is back to the beginning of time now, I think...

Now its all really interesting and I honestly love my Father in law to bits...but to be cornered by him at a family do, he's pretty much deaf and there is only one way conversation...well he can't hear so he does the talking..... I feel like a time traveller after a couple of hours when he finally comes up for air!! Lol

• Haha 3
10 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

My father in law is right into it, searches right back through all of our family histories and documents it all...my wife's side is back to the beginning of time now, I think...

Now its all really interesting and I honestly love my Father in law to bits...but to be cornered by him at a family do, he's pretty much deaf and there is only one way conversation...well he can't hear so he does the talking..... I feel like a time traveller after a couple of hours when he finally comes up for air!! Lol

My mother has gone full bore on it for years, worldwide and she's in communication with hundreds of them, I tend to steer away from that topic ???

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Borr said:

My mother has gone full bore on it for years, worldwide and she's in communication with hundreds of them, I tend to steer away from that topic ???

Its a running joke with us, as soon as a newbie (Justin's new girlfriend, for instance) is introduced, we sit them with dad and leave them....I kid you not it can be 2 or 3 hours straight, half way through you get the "save me" look...thats when you leave the room..lol, we all give it a wide berth now... I will indulge him as he's eighty now, and we're mates...plus he's bright as a button and actually led a proper interesting life, you just need to set aside a day and prepare yourself!! Lol

Edited by NEWKID
  • Haha 2
39 minutes ago, Wolfdog91 said:

Just with y'all stuff on that lil island of y'all's wouldn....... nevermind about to get confused by alot of " well they're use but they're them but not really"

Must be a new experience for you Americans to talk about history ? Lol ? 

6 hours ago, Wolfdog91 said:

All I know something something west Africa something something slave some how Irish, Scottish scandi in the mix = my ass just here ?

Thats the effect us scotch irish and scandi warriors had on the ladies of the world before the west became all woke and into self ruin, your g g g great grandmum couldnt resist either lol