ancestry.

1 hour ago, kanny said:

Well I finally got my ancestry DNA results and what a disappointment :laugh: I'm fairly dark skinned and black hair so I was expecting all sorts of exotics to come up in my DNA  but sadly or happily depending on how you look at it I'm about as British as you can get . 

2018-10-04 17.13.00.png

"Black Irish" mate for example. We're not common but we're not necessarily exotic either, as most people seem to think. I had a splash of Mediterranean but like 90% scandi/west euro/celt so im not sure i can claim these traits are from the med etc.

• Like 1

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I always thought the genes are passed down the generations but apparently not ,mine came back 100% Scots Irish English ,my wife's came back ,English and North European ,but my daughters came back 50%

My mum has traced us back through her dad's side, all the way to John of Gaunt. Which would mean I'm decended from King Edward the 1st, except there was a rumour that Mr Gaunt was actually the love ch

It's probably not too hard to go back that far when your 400 yr old ancestors lived in the same villages we do now! LOL. We're like f***ing hobbits that never left the shire!

Posted Images

On 25/07/2018 at 15:20, Born Hunter said:

It's probably not too hard to go back that far when your 400 yr old ancestors lived in the same villages we do now! LOL. We're like f***ing hobbits that never left the shire!

haaaaaaaa  you havnt got 6 toes on each foot  by any chance  ?

It isnt easy to track your lineage.  The ancestral computer packages have a very steep learning curve.  Back when most people were fairly illiterate and the scribe entered family names similar to what it sounded like rather than accurately. So the name blogg could suddenly change to  blaggs or bogs or boxs. So thats one problem. Another is that people were named after their mother or father so a father could be fred and so could the son. This makes for the potential to marry off on paper the grandmother with a grandson and then move to cornwall whereas that would be rubbish. On about the second time of using the ancestry package I  latched onto another person's research and found that my grans history on my father's side went back to the 1500s in the Birmingham area but I  didn't know how to stear the package and attach this tree onto mine. Always assuming that the data was true and checked. Something else was that things that an old aunt had said and which had been discounted turned out to be true and were sort of good anchor points. It isnt easy and every point needs to be proven.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Meece said:

It isnt easy to track your lineage.  The ancestral computer packages have a very steep learning curve.  Back when most people were fairly illiterate and the scribe entered family names similar to what it sounded like rather than accurately. So the name blogg could suddenly change to  blaggs or bogs or boxs. So thats one problem. Another is that people were named after their mother or father so a father could be fred and so could the son. This makes for the potential to marry off on paper the grandmother with a grandson and then move to cornwall whereas that would be rubbish. On about the second time of using the ancestry package I  latched onto another person's research and found that my grans history on my father's side went back to the 1500s in the Birmingham area but I  didn't know how to stear the package and attach this tree onto mine. Always assuming that the data was true and checked. Something else was that things that an old aunt had said and which had been discounted turned out to be true and were sort of good anchor points. It isnt easy and every point needs to be proven.

To be honest i did the DNA test just to find out my basics ...my Mrs did her side and like you said it was a lot of work and as you also said she come across people in her line who were further in and she DID  manage to link it up to hers so that saved a lot of graft ....so the moral I'm taking from the story is ...I'm going to get the wife to do it  :laugh:

1 hour ago, kanny said:

To be honest i did the DNA test just to find out my basics ...my Mrs did her side and like you said it was a lot of work and as you also said she come across people in her line who were further in and she DID  manage to link it up to hers so that saved a lot of graft ....so the moral I'm taking from the story is ...I'm going to get the wife to do it  :laugh:

The problem involved with importing other people's data is that you dont know the validity of it. Like I  found names were corrupted in records and if not careful marriage sequence could be incorrect  and you get related to a ringmaster or Adolf Hitler.

• Like 1

Done one side of my mums family, traced one branch back to the mid 1600's locally. :icon_eek: The paternal line on my fathers side is said to go back to the 1100's in the old home town. Never got round to doing that side before the free trail ran out! ? Its worth a punt for the free month imo.. :)

On 25/07/2018 at 11:27, king said:

has anyone had a go on ancestry.co.uk i see the adverts on tv regular.and it make's you think about the breeding behind you.

Yeah my father in law has....and f**k does everyone know it!

I love the bloke, but as soon as he says "did you know you're great great great...."... I'm away...lol

• Haha 3
On 25/07/2018 at 11:27, king said:

has anyone had a go on ancestry.co.uk i see the adverts on tv regular.and it make's you think about the breeding behind you.

Ya I had a go. Put in my name . Billy Ray . turns out  I,m the son of a preacher man !

• Like 1

My youngest stepson has been researching his family.

He discovered that his great uncle was mentioned in dispatches, during the Great War, and posthumously received the Distinguished Conduct Medal, if memory serves. None of his family had ever heard of the man, who was killed retrieving German grenades from his trench,  and throwing them back !

• Like 1

It's fascinating stuff for sure. If you go back 600 years every European descendant posting here has a common an ancestor. If you want to be really impressed you're also a descendant of Charlemagne.

But then so is every living European! :laugh:

54 minutes ago, ChrisJones said:

It's fascinating stuff for sure. If you go back 600 years every European descendant posting here has a common an ancestor. If you want to be really impressed you're also a descendant of Charlemagne.

But then so is every living European! :laugh:

Not me mate. Isolated blood line since the celts came over. We don't like foreigners. :laugh:

• Haha 3
  • 2 years later...

I always thought the genes are passed down the generations but apparently not ,mine came back 100% Scots Irish English ,my wife's came back ,English and North European ,but my daughters came back 50% African ,the wife reckons they miss the odd generation .No other explanation .

• Haha 9