ancestry.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I always thought the genes are passed down the generations but apparently not ,mine came back 100% Scots Irish English ,my wife's came back ,English and North European ,but my daughters came back 50%

My mum has traced us back through her dad's side, all the way to John of Gaunt. Which would mean I'm decended from King Edward the 1st, except there was a rumour that Mr Gaunt was actually the love ch

It's probably not too hard to go back that far when your 400 yr old ancestors lived in the same villages we do now! LOL. We're like f***ing hobbits that never left the shire!

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

Dare say there are some 'missing links' on here! :whistling:

I think my uncle has done part of our family tree and I've done the autosomal DNA test. It's interesting, so long as you are aware of it's limitations.

ah i thought all the birth/death/marriage certificate' would be easily linked up.how far back did you uncle manage to go 

Just now, king said:

ah i thought all the birth/death/marriage certificate' would be easily linked up.how far back did you uncle manage to go 

I don't know how easy it is, he just rolled out this huge piece of paper with our lineage on it. Went back 400 years. :good:

From see that and what I knew of regional history I was interested to see if the DNA test correlated at all so I did that myself few years later.

fair stretch that 400 born....wont be many that can go that far I wouldn't have thought....every time you see these programs on telly they seem to run out around 1750-1800..because of record keeping

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, TOMO said:

fair stretch that 400 born....wont be many that can go that far I wouldn't have thought....every time you see these programs on telly they seem to run out around 1750-1800..because of record keeping

It's probably not too hard to go back that far when your 400 yr old ancestors lived in the same villages we do now! LOL. We're like f***ing hobbits that never left the shire!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
5 hours ago, king said:

has anyone had a go on ancestry.co.uk i see the adverts on tv regular.and it make's you think about the breeding behind you.

may be of interest king.. google... surname data base ..it will give you an idea of your surname etc..and its free..

3 minutes ago, byron said:

may be of interest king.. google... surname data base ..it will give you an idea of your surname etc..and its free..

ah i will have a look now byron.im on the laptop now.cheers 

just tried.they have no research on this name..

• 2 months later...

Well I finally got my ancestry DNA results and what a disappointment :laugh: I'm fairly dark skinned and black hair so I was expecting all sorts of exotics to come up in my DNA  but sadly or happily depending on how you look at it I'm about as British as you can get . 

2018-10-04 17.13.00.png

• Like 1
1 hour ago, maxhardcore said:

Richard the 3rd who was found under the car park in Leics 5 years or so ago History said he was Plantagenet I think it was.

When they extracted DNA from his bones it proved someone in his linage had been frying their eggs in  one of his ancestors Pan.

I think the average in any generation is 1-2% where their father is not who they think.

So in 400 years Born there will most prob be discrepancies here and there in your linage unless all the females were like Russian shotputters and no one else fancied shafting them lol 

My wife's side goes back to the plantagenets even back to William the conqueror. 

Kanny a lot of People with Celtic ancestry go back to Spain a few thousand years back.

The Red hair gene in Britain goes back to the Basque region I think it is . They migrated to Britain a few 2-3 k years ago .

Yeah ive only gone back to year 1800 at the moment so who knows what a bit more digging will turn up ?

3 minutes ago, maxhardcore said:

Jig I think it's 1-2% from the most reliable source.

Whatever the figure. I don't think they were reliable women to begin with. How many lie in the survey to convince themselves that they aren't lying to their spouse.I know 2 married men from the same family (brothers) who have love children with other women that everybody knew about except the kids from their existing marriages. They even managed to not let their own mother find out when everyone else in the village knew. Sometimes the family are last to find out. I would guess that the figure is a lot higher than 1 or 2% if the truth was known. My brother in law reared his daughter for 6 years before he found out he wasn't the real dad. The man was devastated and found it very hard to walk away and cut the bond. He even kept paying child maintenance until deciding to cut all contact rather than further confusing the child.

• Sad 1

Richard the 3rd who was found under the car park in Leics 5 years or so ago History said he was Plantagenet I think it was.

When they extracted DNA from his bones it proved someone in his linage had been frying their eggs in  one of his ancestors Pan.

I think the average in any generation is 1-2% where their father is not who they think.

So in 400 years Born there will most prob be discrepancies here and there in your linage unless all the females were like Russian shotputters and no one else fancied shafting them lol 

I'm sure there are errors, max. Can't be 100% sure but what I saw was very believable and the DNA seemed to agree considering this areas history.