Having seen a big rat run from under my bird feeders under the neighbours fence then under her shed. I had about a dozen or so when it was wet cold and snow, but this is the first one i've see signs of in the summer. So i thought i'd put some boxes out two with back to back snap traps and one with a single in.  Just after 10.30pm last night thought I would have a quick check, as I walked up the garden path I shone the torch in the direction of the traps and there in the middle of the path is what I thought was a rat. As I got a little closer I could see it was not a rat but a very small hedge hog about 4" inches long. I lifted all the traps not sure if he could get through the holes but was not going to take the chance, just have to put down live traps, its rare for me to get one in them nearly alway a hedge hog in them. 

Any you Guys recommend a good live trap for rats, the squirrel trap I use will catch but not often.

Cheers Arry

Poison mate in proper poison box the only way I find to adequately control the rat population.

Take away there food source then they will go away.

Trapping will catch at times but will not in long term be effective.

Shoot em with air rifle (good sport) but again same as trapping.

• Like 1

What i'm worried about is this little Hedge Hog real young one and tiny might be able to get in the boxes. Had as many as three full grown one in the garden before now, that not been a problem, I've snared them poisoned the trapped them, but to be on the safe side think I need a good live trap. I have a live squirrel trap and a mink trap but I don't get many rats in then mostly Hedge Hogs they seem a bit thick as you can catch the same one night after night. Just wondered if theres a better type.

Cheers Arry 

In my experience mate Cage traps are very hit and miss,the best way to go if want cage trap is remove what the rats are coming into your garden in the first instance for then try a few batted traps you will just after put up the hedge hogs,not an ideal control method but you might get a few,don't forget why the rats are coming into your garden remove there access to this food that should solve the problem,there will also be a part off either in your garden or a  neighbours were they are living if just be polite and ask them to help control them as well,good hunting.P/S out of all my cage traps I had good success with this one,https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rat-Trap-Squirrel-Heavy-Duty-Metal-Humane-Live-Bait-Vermin-Rodent-Cage-Catcher/123198622957?hash=item1caf35cced%3Ag%3AciYAAOSwV3pbJ8Ti&_sacat=0&_nkw=rat+trap&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xrat+trap.TRS0

• Like 1

I frequently use mk4 Fenns , set in a wire cubby and block off each end apart from a short piece off downpipe , ( the plastic rainwater stuff ), this gives you an access point to the Fenn of only 2.5 "

• Like 1
2 hours ago, goldfinger said:

In my experience mate Cage traps are very hit and miss,the best way to go if want cage trap is remove what the rats are coming into your garden in the first instance for then try a few batted traps you will just after put up the hedge hogs,not an ideal control method but you might get a few,don't forget why the rats are coming into your garden remove there access to this food that should solve the problem,there will also be a part off either in your garden or a  neighbours were they are living if just be polite and ask them to help control them as well,good hunting.P/S out of all my cage traps I had good success with this one,https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rat-Trap-Squirrel-Heavy-Duty-Metal-Humane-Live-Bait-Vermin-Rodent-Cage-Catcher/123198622957?hash=item1caf35cced%3Ag%3AciYAAOSwV3pbJ8Ti&_sacat=0&_nkw=rat+trap&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xrat+trap.TRS0

I'm with you on removing food source, think they get drawn to compost bins which compost all kitchen waste they can smell it but can't get in. Other thing is bird feeders ( didn't want to stop feeding with this dry weather as their very hungry ) very little waste as the Woodies clean most up. I quite like catching them up. Also I have a circle of chain link for grass cutting which i've left over the years because it full of slow worms. When it gets wet and cold sometime they move in there, if i see signs soon sort them there, even fired the ferret in before now. Thanks for advice on the trap, the one i have is similar but has the spring door.  Think its just one rat at the moment, I missed one a while back he's a bit smart now. In a month the little hedge hog will be to big for the holes in the boxes.

Cheers Arry

51 minutes ago, Rowan said:

I frequently use mk4 Fenns , set in a wire cubby and block off each end apart from a short piece off downpipe , ( the plastic rainwater stuff ), this gives you an access point to the Fenn of only 2.5 "

I've got some victor snap traps back to back with straight through boxes. Its this little fella (hedge hog) and if theres one little one then recon theres more, he's so small at the moment recon he could get in a box or tube. Going to have to use live traps for a while and put boxes out in day time, but they can't settle or sort of weather in if you know what i mean. I just wondered if somebody is using a live trap that really works well, I catch the odd one in the squirrel trap but not many, only bought it as a back up for maybe retrieving a ferret. Must get my self a couple of mk4 Fenn's none of the farmer suppliers around her have the fours just stock the sixes. Any idea who is best to buy them off on line?

Cheers Arry 

1 hour ago, W. Katchum said:

Loads an loads a hedge pigs all over place here this year, usually see a lot every summer but this year there far more, they are looking for water, should see them round the puddles on our yard, from wee tiny uns to some biggest hedgeys I ever seen, this warm dry weather sure has got em out an about, lovely to see tho an I been putting trays an bowls water all over place for em an birds??

Its great to see them mate, some body said on here said they never see them any more. Like wise in the evenings I give the ferrets some dry food and put a bowl full under the ferret hutch and a bowl of water they come every night. Think they are struggling with the dry weather slugs and snails keeping their heads down etc. Like you say for the birds as well, got Black Birds taking raisins away feeding young still and saw one of the fledgelings today. I can't remember broods as late in the year as this. 

Cheers Arry

Here's one of the little fellas in the the live trap last night which was baited with corn. Put him in a box with shredded paper and some food and water. He's fine had a good feed of of raw meat and a drink and was very active, then pushed under the paper and went to sleep. Not phased at all by us, I'll let him go tonight because it hoofing it down, can't believe how much he ate must have been starving. That one of them small mushroom containers he in.P1200258.thumb.JPG.6a17f53a61fbff26874d805eea3885e8.JPG

Cheers Arry

• Like 3

They are cool wee critters. I like having them come to the backyard.. that said, it is a rarity nowadays in the city. Now and again I get baby hoglets that have been abandoned. and feed them up etc for release.

• Like 1