...... At Food Warehouse (part of Iceland) :good:

There's a few new warehouse shop type places popping up round here - one of them is called Food Warehouse.

We popped in today to see what it was like and to be fair, they've got some good stuff.

I've never had Wagyu beef before but, I'd heard it's nice - they had these Wagyu rump steaks - a couple of minutes each side in the griddle and, it was bloody lovely.

The meat is different to a normal steak - the fibres are smaller and they part easier.

The taste is almost a little buttery.

At £8 a pop, I did think they'd be more expensive.

I usually like steak midium rare but, I want to get another and try it very rare :yes: :good:

IMG_20180723_180217.jpg

• Like 6

That looks v nice Jon anything more than med rare is a waste of a wagyu , there’s a tidy pub up the road do v nice food there star players on the menu is the wagyu the burgers  the rib eye are top notch if you look out  the pub window thers a small number of cattle wandering around in fine condition they are well kept and look sort of happy , one by one the number of cattle gets less and less until the star player on the menu is no more , and wagyu is removed from the menu

• Like 3
31 minutes ago, green lurchers said:

That looks v nice Jon anything more than med rare is a waste of a wagyu , there’s a tidy pub up the road do v nice food there star players on the menu is the wagyu the burgers  the rib eye are top notch if you look out  the pub window thers a small number of cattle wandering around in fine condition they are well kept and look sort of happy , one by one the number of cattle gets less and less until the star player on the menu is no more , and wagyu is removed from the menu

Cheers mate :thumbs:

Growing up, mum seemed to think that everything had to be well done before it was cooked - it was when I moved out and started cooking for myself that I found out that there was pretty much no food that I didn't like.

1 minute ago, ginger beard said:

Nothing specific just any beef breed.

Farm i help on has a couple of calves this year half x's wagyu x limoseines (spelling?),little black things they were and a bit smaller than the pure limo calves.Maybe there to small pure to bother with weight wise hence the cross breeding??.

• Like 3
14 minutes ago, mackem said:

Went to a Japanese restaurant in HK a few years ago,japanese chef prepared the food right in front of us,one of the courses was wagyu beef,beautiful.

That's where I'd always heard of it before - linked to Japanese grub and, bloody expensive grub at that.

....... I think that's why I was so surprised to find it where I did :thumbs:

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Deker said:

Well, seems I'm in the minority, but I'm no fan of Wagyu at all, perhaps I've just been to the wrong restaurants!

It's been a while since I've been back home so, I'm a little out of touch but, there must somewhere round there that'll do you a nice one mate :thumbs:

Failing that, get your own and whack it on a griddle :yes:

1 hour ago, fireman said:

Farm i help on has a couple of calves this year half x's wagyu x limoseines (spelling?),little black things they were and a bit smaller than the pure limo calves.Maybe there to small pure to bother with weight wise hence the cross breeding??.

I live on the edge of Limousin, they are big feckers! & thats just the women

• Haha 3
2 hours ago, green lurchers said:

That looks v nice Jon anything more than med rare is a waste of a wagyu , there’s a tidy pub up the road do v nice food there star players on the menu is the wagyu the burgers  the rib eye are top notch if you look out  the pub window thers a small number of cattle wandering around in fine condition they are well kept and look sort of happy , one by one the number of cattle gets less and less until the star player on the menu is no more , and wagyu is removed from the menu

I bet they're over the fcuking moon! ??

• Haha 3
2 hours ago, ginger beard said:

I've killed alot of wagyu and on there passports all without exception were crossed with another breed.

I've seen them crossed with Aberdeen Angus before and was told, most are cross bred in Europe.

To the lads on about the Japanese top notch beef.... Wagyu is the breed, Kobi is the beer fed and pampered exception that costs a fuucking fortune, for not much extra imo. A bit like the Fois gras of beef lol

• Like 3