Fireplace design

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes in the shop

Just for reference lads ,no tradesmen needed .They can be fitted on a building notice through building control .The burner must have a minimum of 300mm clearance round it .The hearth must be of dense

This is what I've done ... I fitted a floating oak beam as a mantelpiece and used 2" angle iron for the surround.   

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, stealthy1 said:

You have to knock holes in your breast to get it down, or a pull cord to pull it up, or if your lucky.

Can you not put drain rods up it at fasten it to them and pull it down?

Cheers, D.

2 minutes ago, dytkos said:

Can you not put drain rods up it at fasten it to them and pull it down?

Cheers, D.

NO.  I found it easier to pull it up, make the end of the liner as round as you can, paper and tape I used last time, and pull it up on a chord or rope. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, DIDO.1 said:

Can't get the fckin cnutin bolloxin liner down the chimney ?

DSC_0716.JPG

My mate fits these for a living, he goes on the roof with the liner with draw cord taped to the end, drops the rope down and his labourer pulls it while he jumps up and down like a loon bear hugging it!

dont look easy and both are big lads

3 hours ago, si brown said:

My mate fits these for a living, he goes on the roof with the liner with draw cord taped to the end, drops the rope down and his labourer pulls it while he jumps up and down like a loon bear hugging it!

dont look easy and both are big lads

Tried that. Tied a cord to it from the center of a nose cone. It ain't having it. Gonna try pulling it up next

I have a cunning plan. 

I have it 2 meters to long....so I'm going to cut it into a really long cone at the end, fasten a length of rachet strap to it and pull like fck. 

Failing that I will stick a few feet up the chimney and fck health and safety 

Edited by DIDO.1
  • Like 1
29 minutes ago, DIDO.1 said:

Tried that. Tied a cord to it from the center of a nose cone. It ain't having it. Gonna try pulling it up next

That's how I done mine, it was a ball ache, and I had a 4 foot hole (register plate not fitted) to work with, got there with loads of sweat and swearing.

if the chimney has been built properly it should have a bend in it to get the draw, that's usually where it balls up, I was lucky and could see mine so guided it with a broom handle while one pulled and one pushed, was like a carry on film.

10 hours ago, DIDO.1 said:

I have a cunning plan. 

I have it 2 meters to long....so I'm going to cut it into a really long cone at the end, fasten a length of rachet strap to it and pull like fck. 

Failing that I will stick a few feet up the chimney and fck health and safety 

How old is your house and chimeny?  If your house is pre 92 you don't need a liner, my present house was built in 1925, so building regs state that I don't need one.

Just for reference lads ,no tradesmen needed .They can be fitted on a building notice through building control .The burner must have a minimum of 300mm clearance round it .The hearth must be of dense construction and a minimum of 300mm beyond the front of the burger. Best way to fireproof back and sides is to use glass rock ,a fireproof board that can be dabbed onto a wall then painted .plaster needs keeping away minimum of 300mm or will crack like a bitch .Those advocating no liner or bits if liner need to rethink. Chimney fires kill. Pot liners need no flu but building control can insist if no survey is available. 

51158A85-57E1-456A-ACD7-E40E70AD77D8.jpegPrefer the brick build myself but then again I’m a builder . This is ours . 

• Like 6