Fireplace design

Put a sheet of Ali over the fireplace and pulled the burner forward, more heat reflected into the room zero heat loss up the chimney,  a couple of planks of reclaimed oak for hearth and surround, another  skip bin special, 

image.jpg

• Like 1

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes in the shop

Just for reference lads ,no tradesmen needed .They can be fitted on a building notice through building control .The burner must have a minimum of 300mm clearance round it .The hearth must be of dense

This is what I've done ... I fitted a floating oak beam as a mantelpiece and used 2" angle iron for the surround.   

Posted Images

40 minutes ago, Greyman said:

Put a sheet of Ali over the fireplace and pulled the burner forward, more heat reflected into the room zero heat loss up the chimney,  a couple of planks of reclaimed oak for hearth and surround, another  skip bin special, 

image.jpg

Would that get signed off for insurance purposes? It's sat on timber! 

Short answer no I doubt it, Most of the things in my life would fail to meet modern rules and regulations but I was born when people took responsibility for there own actions so that's how I still live, apparently you can even get a certificate from your chimney sweep to say he,s brushed it properly, but a set of brush,s were cheaper, so I sweep it myself, it's been sat like that for 10/15 years or more and gets roasted every winter so I think it will be ok, the oak it's sat on is over 100 years old and is more like concrete than wood, done 2 chains just cutting it up, but like I said, I don't seek permission to put things in my own house and keeping warm is a basic human right I would like to think, it actually saddens me that you feel the need to ask, ?

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Greyman said:

Short answer no I doubt it, Most of the things in my life would fail to meet modern rules and regulations but I was born when people took responsibility for there own actions so that's how I still live, apparently you can even get a certificate from your chimney sweep to say he,s brushed it properly, but a set of brush,s were cheaper, so I sweep it myself, it's been sat like that for 10/15 years or more and gets roasted every winter so I think it will be ok, the oak it's sat on is over 100 years old and is more like concrete than wood, done 2 chains just cutting it up, but like I said, I don't seek permission to put things in my own house and keeping warm is a basic human right I would like to think, it actually saddens me that you feel the need to ask, ?

In general I'm absolutely the same......but on this one Id rather my insurance be happy that it meets suitable standards and is signed off. I have never had insurance through my life for anything but now iv got a wife and two kids iv got to be a bit more sensible.....if my house burned down and the insurance failed to pay out then my kids would be on the street. A friends arga burst into flames and ruined his house, he's had 3 months of the insurance company trying to wriggle out of paying full costs on all sorts of technicalities. 

Personally it's I think it's about balencing risk against benifit......if a wooden hearth saved me £2000 I'd consider it ?

• Like 1

I have seen an oak lintel in a fireplace that caught fire. However, it ignited because the geniuses that installed it had fixed a fireboard register plate above the burner with softwood 2x3 with the flue less than 2" from the 2x3". So the softwood caught fire from the heat of the flue then ignited the adjacent oak lintel. Can't say I would be keen on Greyman's wood hearth myself, but agree with his thinking about bringing the burner out into the room and having a reflector.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...