223 ammunition

9 hours ago, Meece said:

To several  post above,  you might find that the cheapest round that you can  buy may well be one that suits your gun. Reloading is a hobby in its own right and you've got to go about it in a methodical way recording what you do. I would say that a chronograph is a pretty essential bit of kit. Not having one is like having a car without a speedo. Reloading isnt just buying a book and pouring bits into a case, theres a lot to it. There a lot of testing and understanding whats going on with the loads. Youve got to be someone that is patient and methodical.  I've knòwn several who have tried it and given up.  Once a suitable load is found you don't need to keep to fiddling  about with it. Ps the chrono. I loaded and found an accurate combination that would shoot 410 cases off of fence posts at 100 but when used on fox they went straight through but didnt kill. When I used a chrono I found the bullet was doing 2900. At range this wasn't fast enough to make the bullet set up. After a lot of testing with powder and bullet  changes, I developed a 55grn load at 3450fps which has never failed to kill on the spot out to 300 paces, althoug eighty to 100 is more usual range.

Pps why is it that using the digits for eighty 8 & 0 makes this smiley 》》》》 ? ..... 80

If l had more time I'd like to try but I'll stick to me 28.99 a box an keep trying a few cheaper ones on targets an see how i get on

1 hour ago, nick703 said:

If l had more time I'd like to try but I'll stick to me 28.99 a box an keep trying a few cheaper ones on targets an see how i get on

I've got a son in law who shoots 223 and who went and got about 4 boxes of ammo, Sako, Winchester, Federal and American   Eagle  (cheapo Federal ). In his rifle the cheapo Eagle shot far better than the others. Now the other son in law is in a similar situation and is buying  ammo but  just thInks that he is going to buy some bullets, powder and that I am going to  make a load of sniper grade ammo for him. Just like that !!

I have had to deflate his ball on somewhat and inform him that I will help him, and that he can use my gear but I  wont be making his ammo for him. He has to make his own ammo for legal and technical issues. I have also told him that it aint just like making a cake that you are going to like. There are lots òf variables and you have got to have Patients,  discipline, a mind set to understand what's going on and a fairly deep pocket . When you get it all together you can turn out ammo that suits your rifle better than aĺmost anything that you can buy. All that you got to hope for is that you can continue to buy the components. 

• Like 1