How long do pups howl?

Got a new pup had him 3 weeks now, 

first week almost he absolutely screamed and howled all night long, we ignored it as were told if we went down it would reinforce the behaviour. 

After a few nights we got an Adaptil plug in and fair play he settled much better for a few nights but after that he started howling again but only for a few minutes. 

Problem is he will also howl daytime any time he is left alone, he won’t howl for too long but it’s loud and don’t really want to fall out with the neighbours. 

I often go into work late and he is only left for short times eg 10am - 12pm - then ill work from home in the afternoon so I can let him out frequently etc. 

Also our lodger is a nurse is often home all day and will have him with her so he’s not left alone to cry much (she doesn’t go to him when he cries or whines). 

Despite this he will still howl for a good 5-15 mins (sometimes longer) when left alone.

I currently get up around 3:00 - 3:30am to let him out to pee / poop as I read that he is currently too small (11 weeks atm) to hold it all night. Issue then is I put him straight back to the crate after toilet interview and once I leave he starts the howling again in the middle of the night ? 

Not sure if this is something he will grow out of or if I need to do something before it turns into a habit that I’ll never get rid of! 

Edited by Lloyd90

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sounds like alot going on in your house, without much regularity to it. Ie, you going to work at different times, for different lengths of time. And getting up at 3 am aint going to help you either. Y

You tried a radio on when you leave it? Or old alarm clock ticking away in its bed? 

Don’t over complicate things  In the house  i don’t let a pup free in the house until he’s able to contrast between inside rest : outside play , it’s a habit that’s get created by you  habit

When I first got my pup he howled alot when we went to bed or left alone I left it 3 days and then I got a water spray bottle and just told him a firm no and a couple of sprays with that he soon learnt that howling gets him a spray so stopped. Had to do the same with my bull x when I first got him it took a month to break the behaviour but he got it and just stopped doing it one night. Little things like water spray has a big impact. I prefer that way to going down and "roughing" a dog up as it were. 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Saltmoon said:

When I first got my pup he howled alot when we went to bed or left alone I left it 3 days and then I got a water spray bottle and just told him a firm no and a couple of sprays with that he soon learnt that howling gets him a spray so stopped. Had to do the same with my bull x when I first got him it took a month to break the behaviour but he got it and just stopped doing it one night. Little things like water spray has a big impact. I prefer that way to going down and "roughing" a dog up as it were. 

Someone has said to me might have to start the water bottle squirting, although someone else has said you don’t want to scare the pup as he’s only young. 

Also how did you manage to spray him? I ideally want to avoid going into the room so he doesn’t thing whingeing means I come to him! 

its missing it litter mates , havnt you got a mate with nice temp dog just stick him with that when you pop out . ive changed me view  about pups crying , they want company  human or animal , they soon grow up , it wont be for ever . you got any family with kids stick it there when you out .

11 minutes ago, Saltmoon said:

it does work very good.the best way to use water is to do it without the dog thinking or seeing its you who is administering the water.

thats not a good thing the dogs confidence in you will be tarnished a little.and he will look at you as the 1 dishing out a horrible experience.that he doesent like.

ideally a hose gun attached to the run on sprinkle.and you being able to get to the tap without the dog seeing you.

yrs ago i bought an adult staff he went in the kennel the same night i got home.

i woke up for work at 6am and could hear the dog howling flat out.

so i filled a bucket about 1/2 way with water walked up to the run called him out and threw the lot over him with a stern.no.

the next morning i woke for work again.and he was howling just the same.

so out got the bucket walked upto the run called him out.he seen the bucket i then put the bucket down infront of the gate of the run.so he now knows what the bucket can do if he howls.and had all day to stare at the bucket.

the dog never howled ever again.

he needed that sharp lesson and i needed him to be quiet equally as fast.the neighbours would of been straight on the phone to the council other wise.

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, Saltmoon said:

Someone has said to me might have to start the water bottle squirting, although someone else has said you don’t want to scare the pup as he’s only young. 

Also how did you manage to spray him? I ideally want to avoid going into the room so he doesn’t thing whingeing means I come to him! 

12 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

You tried a radio on when you leave it? Or old alarm clock ticking away in its bed? 

Yes mate, 

hes just very clingy pup, even with a kong full of food he would drop that and try to come with you as you leave instead. 

Its nice to have a pup that’s so keen to be with you, I’m just worried he won’t grow out of it and he could have a habit of howling for a long time. 

Sounds like alot going on in your house, without much regularity to it. Ie, you going to work at different times, for different lengths of time. And getting up at 3 am aint going to help you either. You say you put him back in the crate, well, leave him in there overnight til you get up in the morning, or put him somewhere where there's no carpeting for him to soil, I leave all my pups in the hallway in the crate with door open. The quicker you get into a set routine, and stick to it, the quicker the pup will learn

Edited by shaaark
  • Like 7
18 minutes ago, shaaark said:

Sounds like alot going on in your house, without much regularity to it. Ie, you going to work at different times, for different lengths of time. And getting up at 3 am aint going to help you either. You say you put him back in the crate, well, leave him in there overnight til you get up in the morning, or put him somewhere where there's no carpeting for him to soil, I leave all my pups in the hallway in the crate with door open. The quicker you get into a set routine, and stick to it, the quicker the pup will learn

I think he’s just getting big enough to be left most of the night mate as he is holding it quite well atm so will start to reduce getting up so early. 

Considering getting my old spaniel from my mums and leaving her with him for a few weeks so he has some company to settle him down. 

Dont let him sleep in the evening and when he nods off wake him up and stick out side in fresh air. Pain in the ass but then it will be cream crackered. Very tempting after work when you want bit of peace let the pup nod off for the evening then come bed time the sod is wide awake 

Don’t over complicate things  In the house 

i don’t let a pup free in the house until he’s able to contrast between inside rest : outside play , it’s a habit that’s get created by you 

habits  the pup create turn into problems we have to solve if left to their own devices 

it’s either in its crate or it’s outside with me , it learns that’s it environment decides it’s state of mind 

ignore it in the house and the pup will switch off 

stimulate it in the house and the pup will be switched on , constantly 

Edited by Casso
  • Like 4

I let my pup sleep in his crate in my bedroom for the first couple of weeks before he got moved to the kitchen it settled him quite well as he knew where we were at night so didn’t whine after the first night 

• Like 2