.17hmr rounds ?

So, I had a misfire on the .17 so had a look at the case and the neck  had a crack in it, though nothing of it, few more shots and it did it again, same thing, crack in the neck, I’ve just checked the rest of them an out of 400 rounds I’ve got 85 all cracked, these are hornady, Remington and Winchester, mainly Remington that are cracked with a few hornady, out of 100 Winnie’s not one cracked, I know what I’ll be buying from now on ?

3CCFB96A-0345-447F-ADF6-339F8EAACFCF.jpeg

95F7A2D6-7FD5-4ECC-8345-D28C45CEE437.jpeg

E8154261-549C-4A21-AF51-A4C4522D32A9.jpeg

The cracked neck? is that before or after firing?

If it's after no problem, your not reloading and the cases are scrap!

If before you need to take them back to the 'shop' as that is unacceptable.

AndyF

• Like 1

It’s before firing, I bought 600 rounds off a copper that was selling all his kit, I know there was a bad batch of cases about 18 months ago, I guess these were from that batch, the lad wouldn’t of known that as they were all sealed, I took the split ones to the shop today for destruction and he said they have sorted the fault now

Sorry to sound a grump but this is another reason I don't have a 17 rimfire.

They have to prime the case prior to sizing the neck down. The brass gets work hardened and can not be annealed because of the prime.

They have improved this however and it looks like you have some of the old ammo. Make sure the bullet leaves the barrel before firing another!

ATB.

U.

• Like 2

Been using these without any bother, have a box of Hornaday v max, they're still sat in the safe because of miss fires, I never got to taking them back as I got them on the mainland, won't be using them again! They used to be a great round years ago, shortcuts to keep up with competition, that's only my opinion though? 

Those winnies look cheap though ?

IMG_20180722_133627.jpg

• Like 1

It,s the biggest reason like U/D i keep away from .17 hmr theres too many of these posts across the t,interweb and a few blockages as well as U/D says make sure it went bang not wimper as the consequences dont bear thinking about atb and stay safe

• Like 2

What has a cracked neck got to do with the round not firing? A cracked neck might affect the accuracy but it wouldn't stop it firing. Did you strip any  of the rounds with cracked necks down to see if they had primer and powder in them or any combination of the components that should be in there ?  It's a shame that you disposed of them all if you didñt have a look at them you'll never know the reason why.  I have experienced an odd 22 lr (one in ten thousand or very old ammo) that didnt fire first strike but when rotated to a different place they did fire. Perhaps this was caused  by the primer material not being all Round the rim. The trouble with identifying a problem like this is that misfires in 22lr are so rare. If I had 85 rounds of potential I'd be playing with them.

1 hour ago, Stavross said:

The crack allows the pressure out, so it’s not a missfire as in it doesn’t  eject the round but it comes out at a much lower speed, on some occasions the round doesn’t leave the barrel

Unfortunately this is a VERY well known issue of HMR ammo, I still don't understand why something hasn't been pinned on this subject.

The crack per se, lets very little pressure out from a well engineered breech.  The bullet is next to never slower, and all being well, will not cause any issues with the shot.  The crack is/can be a route for damp ingress or in extreme cases powder loss, that's what causes the problems.  Fresh/Dry, well stored ammo even with a crack is very unlikely to cause any issues.

This goes back 11 years, note CCI comments towards the end of the article!

https://www.shootinguk.co.uk/answers/are-these-split-rifle-shells-safe-19680

PS

Lets also be very clear here, I am not for one second trying to justify or condone this shocking ammo situation, it is appalling!

PPS

This happens with ALL brands, if, in your particular case the Winchester is ok its just one of those things, I have plenty of Split Winchester cases as well as every brand I have ever tried! 

Edited by Deker
  • Like 1

That’s a very odd statement to make, I personally wouldn’t use faulty bullets in a rifle, I’ve had a round stuck in the barrel of the .17 and the neck of that case was cracked, so how can you say they are ok to use, they say it doesn’t affect the accuracy? But it has to come out the end of the barrel in the first place ?

1 minute ago, Stavross said:

That’s a very odd statement to make, I personally wouldn’t use faulty bullets in a rifle, I’ve had a round stuck in the barrel of the .17 and the neck of that case was cracked, so how can you say they are ok to use, they say it doesn’t affect the accuracy? But it has to come out the end of the barrel in the first place ?

I think you are talking about CCI comments in the Article.   I agree, it is a million miles from satisfactory, but I still use the HMR, it is something to be mindful of and take care.

Some have moved away from HMR because of this issue and quite shortly after HMR Semis were introduced (Not in the UK) they were withdrawn because of this exact issue, a squib round with enough pressure to cycle the rifle for the next shot whilst actually leaving a round half way up the barrel. 

Something must have changed a while ago because HMR Semi ammo is available and Semi rifles are coming back.

• Like 1

I’ve started checking them now and it’s something I’ll continue to do, checked an new box of hornady and no cracks, the lad in the gun shop said they see very few cracks now compared to 18 months ago but it’s still something to be mindful of

11 hours ago, Deker said:

Unfortunately this is a VERY well known issue of HMR ammo, I still don't understand why something hasn't been pinned on this subject.

The crack per se, lets very little pressure out from a well engineered breech.  The bullet is next to never slower, and all being well, will not cause any issues with the shot.  The crack is/can be a route for damp ingress or in extreme cases powder loss, that's what causes the problems.  Fresh/Dry, well stored ammo even with a crack is very unlikely to cause any issues.

This goes back 11 years, note CCI comments towards the end of the article!

https://www.shootinguk.co.uk/answers/are-these-split-rifle-shells-safe-19680

PS

Lets also be very clear here, I am not for one second trying to justify or condone this shocking ammo situation, it is appalling!

PPS

This happens with ALL brands, if, in your particular case the Winchester is ok its just one of those things, I have plenty of Split Winchester cases as well as every brand I have ever tried! 

Another good post. Personality I  can't see any situation where a case is so badly cracked open to allow the powder content to fall out or to allow water  / moisture to get into the case to stop it working. If that much pòwder was falling out you would see it in the box. All of this about different brands is covered here. 》》》 its all made by CCI.  I've read about this from other sources.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=264190

This issue came about a few years back.

CCI was under immense pressure to fill orders and so uppingg production speed only served to work harden the cold swaged necks more so.

This is ammo is from that period, I believe they have now come up with a solution.

Still a mouse gun though ?

Edited by Underdog
  • Haha 2