Summer time ferreting?

Hi all...

My main worker is looking bored as can be, shes healthy and fit. But shes giving me that look everytime i go in the court or walk past, you know the one, get me out in the field look.

Ive only ferreted 2 seasons over the winter, and its great fun and very rewarding. We have had 273 rabbits and a mouse.

I have not ferreted in summer and would like to know if there is anything different to do...

Ie,

Is there likely to be more digging?

(This could be a problem as warrens are deep and in sandy soil)

Young rabbits?

Collar or no collar? (I dont use one in winter)

Purse nets or long nets?

Any info or tips welcomed

Thanks

FF

Started that i couldnt afford one...

Then when i got one the ferret didnt like wearing it... would work the holes properly.

She comes back to a squeaky dog toy normally. And a kiss at the hole entrance.

Touch wood ive not had to dig one out yet...

Had to get a long bramble once and feed it down the hole backwards to twist on rabbits fur to pull out.

Been lucky really.

FF

I know what you mean, I feel for the ferrets they just want to be out there and so do I if the truth known. My mate and I were talking about taking them for a run out, if we do it will be some  ground burrows in the woods, no cover there so you can see them okay. We will travel light and take no nets, just drop them in and let them bolt.

On the collar side, I would try and get her used to it mate. One of my ferrets got a habit of slipping out of the burrow a carrying on down the hedge by her self, found her with the finder fifty yards away on more than one occasion. Mind a lot of our ground is thick hedges. Its peace of mind some time just knowing the ferret still in the burrow you doing. Try making or buying a ordinary collar like a cat collar put it on her in the hutch and leave her to get used to it.

Cheers Arry  

• Like 1

Longer waits for the ferret as it will find nests and kill the young, doe's are less reluctant to bolt. Jaggies, nettles to sting the hell out you and catch on nets. Grounds harder to dig too. Summertime ferreting is a pain in the balls to be honest. Id Invest in a collar and locator if I was as you will lose the ferret if it gets stuck behind a rabbit in a stop end.

Most lads don't ferret in summer for a few good reasons 1; to give the bunnies chance to breed n restock the land 2; ferrets are prone to over heat if worked in hot summer months 3; ticks are wriffe in burrows and can kill ya ferret in no time if undetected 4; after a long hard winter graffting there nuts off ya ferrets need to rest n breed too 

• Like 3

Cheers guys...

It was only going to be a one off thing just to get her out...

I have a finder and collar and a spare collar so putting it on her now to get used to. Hopefully will work.

I do respect the season and am looking forward to the start of it, but i think its going to be abit later this year...

The rabbits are doing really well this year on my perm, so im sure she'll enjoy it when we do get out.

FF

• Thanks 1

I tried it in May, and it was a ball ache. The rabbits didn’t really want to bolt, but the ferrets enjoyed it. Warrens being full of babies made it a digging mission. The larger babies scarpered all around the warren and it was dig after dig. I also heard the ferrets getting into nests and listening to the babies squealing one after another wasn’t nice. Seemed such a waste to me, as in the Autumn, they would be good sized and you can do something with them. The time it took to clear a warren was horrendous. Warrens that would be cleared in half an hour in the winter were taking up to 3 times that. I only done it to show my face on a new permission and was curious as I had never been summer ferreting. If you do it, you would definitely need to take a ferret finder. It seemed a waste killing the babies, but to leave them in the warrens too would be sacrilege, at least the ferrets got a feed off them. It’s definitely not for me, I’ve told new perms they will have to wait for the autumn, if they can’t wait, then so be it, they can get someone else. I have done a little air rifle shooting with the night vision on local perms that I can’t ferret due to roads etc, to top up the ferret food over the summer, and that suits me fine

• Like 1

Agree with Beany01 completely, good points. I do exactly like him bit of air rifle shooting in the summer months for fresh ferret food and keeping land owners happy, my air rifle doesn’t see the outside of its case between September and April though. 

Edited by Bobtheferret
Poor spelling
  • Like 1

Theres better ways of getting or controlling the rabbits during the summer , but theres nothing wrong with a bit of summer time ferreting watch out for the heat and give the ferrets plenty of water and its hit and miss with digging you get into young rabbits the ferret will nail them , but get into half grown three quarter grown they will bolt and are a good handy sized rabbit . The worst thing to watch is transporting the ferrets in the car it can get so hot in a box so quickly i carry mine in a basket and keep the rear windows half way down and only put them in the box while i'm using them and repeatedly keep opening the lid and checking on them