scarteen terrriers

This letter was first published by DB plummer in 1982 issue of shooting times, apparently col hancock had mentioned the influence of the irish terrier on the fell/ Lakeland terrier, some years ago the scarteen foxhounds bred a smooth or slope coated fell terrier of the type developed by bray and buck. these terrriers were aptly named by the cumbrians who imported them, would any of you older terriermen, be able to cast any light on the origin of these terriers,probably now a non existent breed.

Id doubt they ever existed -maybe a black and tan Jack Russel type. (I got my first ever terrier from a man that lived very close to scarteen)-she did throw a pup once that looked like dogs Plummer  described  (but I think the b &t colour came from yorkie blood )

6 minutes ago, Rabbit Hunter said:

I remember reading the odd bit about the 'Scarteen' terrier in Plummer's Fell Terrier, which must be getting on for 40 years old? They seemed like lightly built Lakelands from the pics in there that I remember.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=6iXfzklR6XQC&pg=PA137&lpg=PA137&dq=scarteen+terrier&source=bl&ots=ABm1k_rRtC&sig=6qsSXB9CO6QRZq6xwiAvt9NoDDc&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjo1NKLsq7cAhVJI8AKHQcKBfgQ6AEwC3oECAUQAQ#v=onepage&q=scarteen terrier&f=false

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thankyou  very much for putting the link up  with pictures of the scarteen terriers or so called, I would have liked to have seen the letter that col hancock wrote, as I would rate his words  more than that off plummer, never read the fell terrier, but read most of plummmers books,when I first started out in terriers and lurchers, along time ago, nobody else were writing books on dogs but plummmer, so lots of people believed what he wrote, but that's another story.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, grompz said:

Thankyou  very much for putting the link up  with pictures of the scarteen terriers or so called, I would have liked to have seen the letter that col hancock wrote, as I would rate his words  more than that off plummer, never read the fell terrier, but read most of plummmers books,when I first started out in terriers and lurchers, along time ago, nobody else were writing books on dogs but plummmer, so lots of people believed what he wrote, but that's another story.

Same here when I first got into hunting dogs I was still at school ,early 90s I had sheardowns and Walsh’s books , bought a few of the plummer books from secondhand book shops including the one on lurcher breeding that was a hard read ?

• Like 1

I spoke to a man that genuinely  worked (3 time winners) pit bulls back in the 1980,s and he told me they were using yorkie x Russell's to find a draw for big dogs. When I was finished laughing i actually thought that the blood was in the yorkie, because it definitely wasn't in them russells??

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jiggy said:

I spoke to a man that genuinely  worked (3 time winners) pit bulls back in the 1980,s and he told me they were using yorkie x Russell's to find a draw for big dogs. When I was finished laughing i actually thought that the blood was in the yorkie, because it definitely wasn't in them russells??

Was it in Ireland or England jiggy?ones I had were good  enough on fox (I think  there was staff in the ones I had as well).There was supposedly small black n tan terriers around county limerick  in 50s/60s but id say they were some kind of yorkie/Fox terrier cross also.

13 hours ago, tinytiger said:

Was it in Ireland or England jiggy?ones I had were good  enough on fox (I think  there was staff in the ones I had as well).There was supposedly small black n tan terriers around county limerick  in 50s/60s but id say they were some kind of yorkie/Fox terrier cross also.

Ireland but I took it with a pinch of salt. I'd imagine that the standard wasn't great or they would still be around 

20 hours ago, jiggy said:

Ireland but I took it with a pinch of salt. I'd imagine that the standard wasn't great or they would still be around 

Same as that-I was happy out with them at the time  (but id only have been around 10 when I got her).I've nothing off that breeding now-got years of entertainment out of them though.