Kwiss Packam, crook

Chris Packham takes cash for BBC access

July 20th, 2018
Countryside Alliance > Latest News > Campaigns > Consultation and Lobbying > Chris Packham takes cash for BBC access

Countryside Alliance Chief Executive Tim Bonner writes:

Nearly three years ago we warned the BBC that it needed to address the activity of its presenter, Chris Packham, who was abusing the reputation granted to him by a state funded broadcaster. His increasingly extreme campaigning gave the BBC ample opportunity to act, yet it has consistently failed to do so. This week, however, the BBC itself reported that Packham had been promoting supposedly bio-degradable ‘Oxo’ plastic bags on BBC programmes whilst secretly being paid by Symphony Environmental, the biggest UK manufacturer of Oxo products. He was given the opportunity to respond to these allegations on the BBC news, but declined to do so.

We do not believe this is an isolated incident. For instance, Packham was heavily involved in promoting ‘The Big Tick Project’ purportedly to raise awareness about the risks to dogs from ticks. The project was widely covered in the media including on BBC platforms. None of the reporting, however, included the fact that he was being employed by the veterinary medicine company MSD Animal Health specifically “to drive sales of Bravecto, a product to prevent dog ticks”.

Our original, and ongoing, concern about Packham’s behaviour is that he uses the position granted to him by the BBC to abuse and attack farmers, gun owners, hunts and anyone else he has decided that he does not like. As I wrote three years ago we are lucky live in a liberal democracy where people are able to hold any number of bizarre views. There is no issue with people voicing such opinions, but using the position granted by a public service broadcaster to promote an extreme agenda, or indeed to make yourself a lot of money, is a different thing entirely. The interesting question now is whether the BBC will take action. The broadcaster has tied itself in endless knots to exempt Packham from its own Editorial Guidelines when he was attacking our community. Will it take action now it appears he has been taking cash for BBC access?

The BBC had the opportunity to address this behaviour and nip it in the bud. It failed to do so and as a consequence its own reputation is significantly diminished. It must now, finally, act to ensure that the man who has so clearly brought it into disrepute can no longer do so.

Tim Bonner
Chief Executive
Follow me at @CA_TimB

• Like 2

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't matter what you watch if you don't buy one anyway,they have no right to try to get in and prove you have been using it and there ain't no law saying you can't have a tv.If they come to the door

Neighbours never closed their curtains properly ?

Heard he fixed you a few time's.

Advertising on BBC ? so does that mean if the BBC fail to act we don't need to pay a TV licence then ? I'd love to not have to pay a penny to the BBC,how they still get away with a licenc fee is annoying .

Edited by MickC
3 hours ago, MickC said:

Advertising on BBC ? so does that mean if the BBC fail to act we don't need to pay a TV licence then ? I'd love to not have to pay a penny to the BBC,how they still get away with a licenc fee is annoying .

100% of convictions for not having a tv licence are because the people confessed to not having one,detector vans don't and have never been able to detect if your watching a tv and no one has the right to try to enter your house to see if you are using a tv to watch normal tv as such.If anyone knocks on your door to ask about a tv licence you have every right to tell them to feck off.You tube it loads of vids of folks telling them to do one and all legal...?

• Like 3
28 minutes ago, fireman said:

100% of convictions for not having a tv licence are because the people confessed to not having one,detector vans don't and have never been able to detect if your watching a tv and no one has the right to try to enter your house to see if you are using a tv to watch normal tv as such.If anyone knocks on your door to ask about a tv licence you have every right to tell them to feck off.You tube it loads of vids of folks telling them to do one and all legal...?

What about if you have sky fireman.

1 hour ago, dogmandont said:

What about if you have sky fireman.

If your with any of the main service providers you need a license if you watch any tv live as its broadcast you need a license that's my understanding of it :thumbs:

• Like 1

I remember when I was a kid anytime the TV license man would be going around all the Windows of his car would get smashed, people would knock at each other's doors so they could hide the Telly's, I also remember a few time's me da giving us Hug's and telling us he has to work away it was only when I got a bit older he told he was sent to mountjoy for not paying for the licence, he's 70 now and still telling judges he's not buying one and they can send him to prison.

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, peterhunter86 said:

I remember when I was a kid anytime the TV license man would be going around all the Windows of his car would get smashed, people would knock at each other's doors so they could hide the Telly's, I also remember a few time's me da giving us Hug's and telling us he has to work away it was only when I got a bit older he told he was sent to mountjoy for not paying for the licence, he's 70 now and still telling judges he's not buying one and they can send him to prison.

How did you get to watch Jim'll Fix It then?