different collie crosses.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Most herding dog /running dog composites are variable,..both physically and mentally,...they don't suit everyone... Nothing wrong with that...  I am a weak and feeble, quiet, inoffensive wee

Beardie/border x greyhound,didn’t like the car but lots of dogs aren’t keen on traveling in cars,good with kids,good nose could catch rabbits,easily trained,nice dog.

aye defo had 3 beardie f1s a 3/8 5/8 and a 3/4 1 of the f1s was a nightmare but worked out a great dog but hard work at times lol i run beddie x grey now insane prey drive faster than any collie f1 cr

Posted Images

My last was a 3/4 grey 1/4 collie beardie border mix a cracking dog had a mate with a beardie grey 1st cross x a beddy greyhound was looking a good dog till it got to about 12-15month old then just started doing 1 or staying just out of way be otherside of field or in field at side or would get on a scent or put something up and it was gone so wouldn't come back tried alsorts couldn't stop it

• Like 2

Any of the two will do the job long as you go steady on the collie in the mix to much collie in my eyes is a bad thing in modern times as the feckers are to temperamental just a drop 1/4 or less is more than enough be it lamping or ferreting mooching id go with bearded collie if I had to choose just for the bit of coat they offer 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, poxon said:

Any of the two will do the job long as you go steady on the collie in the mix to much collie in my eyes is a bad thing in modern times as the feckers are to temperamental just a drop 1/4 or less is more than enough be it lamping or ferreting mooching id go with bearded collie if I had to choose just for the bit of coat they offer 

I know some will obviously disagree with this, and I aint gonna get into too much, but I've owned a dog with beardie in, and seen plenty of others. And almost without exception, they were all far too much headwork. And I'm talking from 30 odd years ago upto present day.  Not for me, by a loooong way

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, shaaark said:

I know some will obviously disagree with this, and I aint gonna get into too much, but I've owned a dog with beardie in, and seen plenty of others. And almost without exception, they were all far too much headwork. And I'm talking from 30 odd years ago upto present day.  Not for me, by a loooong way

I’ll agree with you shark way to much head work going on In the early crosses 

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, poxon said:

I’ll agree with you shark way to much head work going on In the early crosses 

Honestly mate, the one I owned, sired by taffy out of a mongrelly but very greyhoundy bitch, was my best catch dog. But the f****r did my head in VERY regularly. And the dogs I've seen, and I've seen several with beardie in, have been, like I said earlier, faaar too much headwork, from past up until fairly recently, roughly the last 3-4 years.

I will NEVER own another dog with beardie in it

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Black neck said:

I reckon a dog that has 1/16 bearded collie in its breeding or less 

Is far too much 

My old dog had an 1/8 in him, and it was far too much. 

Intersestngly though, none of the border collie crosses I've seen, have displayed the same behaviour as the ones with beardie in. Some have had a few little foibles, but nowhere near the same degree, or as many as the ones with beardie in

44 minutes ago, shaaark said:

My old dog had an 1/8 in him, and it was far too much. 

Intersestngly though, none of the border collie crosses I've seen, have displayed the same behaviour as the ones with beardie in. Some have had a few little foibles, but nowhere near the same degree, or as many as the ones with beardie in

Dont matter what x they all gorra few forboiles

Whatever them are

• Haha 1
18 minutes ago, Black neck said:

Whatever them are

I don’t think it’s restricted to just collies a lot of dogs pure and crosses seem to have traits that when you think back to 70/80s you just didn’t see and allergies and diet fads and behaviour problems.

37 minutes ago, Black neck said:

Whatever them are

true mate, but (herding x sight hounds) are the worse out there regards temp , a 1/4 of any herding type plenty = collie, beardie , kelpie , gsd , dont know about  acd , but prob the same, they all show excessive  sensitive, manic  nature . i really think to catch a rabbit  day or night, a lurcher x lurcher  , would  do the job just as good and easier  temp to get on with. drop of pit , or beddy   would have a nice calming affect  on the herding nature , thats what go for if i wanted  herding type x . i always wanted a pit x grey x collie x grey  12 years ago , but not many were being bred back then, it was either straight  pit x grey , or straight collie x grey , so ended up with old Bryn, been great rabbit dog, but never been keen on his temp, 1x collie x grey. still you carnt turn the clock back as they say , just learn from  it , if i ever get another lurcher it be  a 1x beddy x grey  do same job as  any 1x collie x grey , but easier to live with , well it would for me .!  lol 

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Black neck said:

Whatever them are

Foibles = eccentricity etc. Not disagreeing with you blacky, but seen alot of all sorts of foibleistic behaviour in beardie crosses far more often than just border crosses ?