different collie crosses.

32 minutes ago, Chid said:

Plain old lurcher to lurcher bred for I don’t know how many generations.. there’s everything in this mutt . Suits me and the dandering over the fields I do AE45AB24-E895-4DE9-810E-DA69377558A5.thumb.jpeg.7b0b682cd695494daf31b58871db0f92.jpeg6495098B-BBDE-40AD-9198-0F5D8A85D45F.thumb.jpeg.e4e0a64d5f6ae55d9c5d3ddace7118e8.jpeg

Looks like a Hancock bred dog , nice looking dog.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Most herding dog /running dog composites are variable,..both physically and mentally,...they don't suit everyone... Nothing wrong with that...  I am a weak and feeble, quiet, inoffensive wee

Beardie/border x greyhound,didn’t like the car but lots of dogs aren’t keen on traveling in cars,good with kids,good nose could catch rabbits,easily trained,nice dog.

aye defo had 3 beardie f1s a 3/8 5/8 and a 3/4 1 of the f1s was a nightmare but worked out a great dog but hard work at times lol i run beddie x grey now insane prey drive faster than any collie f1 cr

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, Str said:

Looks like a Hancock bred dog , nice looking dog.

Well his grand dam on his sires side was a Hancock , and on his dams side there’s collie way back that’s supposedly Hancock according to some .. but there’s very little collie in him tbh 

2 hours ago, shaaark said:

Mostly Deerhound/collie/grey, whippet/collie/grey, or a combination of all of those. Also whippet/greyhounds ?

My flavour as well mate chuck a bit of good bedlington blood in there as well nice little party 

• Like 2

Years a ago I had a welsh collie x greyhound. she  was a good bitch and took a lot of game with her. welsh collies are generally more independent than border collies and get on with the job instead of looking for instruction. I don't know whether this trait makes a difference when breeding lurchers?

• Like 5
4 hours ago, Hands of Stone said:

Years a ago I had a welsh collie x greyhound. she  was a good bitch and took a lot of game with her. welsh collies are generally more independent than border collies and get on with the job instead of looking for instruction. I don't know whether this trait makes a difference when breeding lurchers?

Interesting that mate. My ex mrs had a welsh sheepdog bitch which we picked up from aberystywyth about 15 years ago. Think it was from jonathan davies' farm. He had a superb rangy black and tan dog there about 24" tts. From the little I do know of them, I'd say yes, they are more independant than borders, and generally a bit taller and rangier

• Like 1

My beardie/border mix was around 7/16 greyhound. Most laid back dog at home I've ever come across. If my sister came to my house to visit with her kids he'd bugger off out of house into his kennel for some peace and quiet. Out in the field he was a natural out and out hunt and find dog......I always refer to him as nose down eyes up.....by christ he was a joy to watch. I've never owned a dog like him before where you would literally have to look away if he was close to a rabbit as they headed towards the hedgerow....yet he rarely if ever got injured.....he got tangled in a roll of barbed wire once and he came off very well considering...he really did have tough skin. I never bothered with foxes, but he was mad for them. Squirrels he used to treat as a tasty snack. He had a lot higher drive to hunt than my border collie greyhound lurcher. Saying that my old bushing ( and lamping) border collie bitch had an equally high hunting drive. A very much missed dog who I didn't realise how good he was until many years later. Always gave his best. Greatly missed. A cracking mooching dog....I reckon he was about 27 to shoulder. It's easy to get carried away with what's size is best, never thought much about size at the time.

Edited by Shortstraw
  • Like 3
On 20/07/2018 at 19:17, Chid said:

I think to many people looking for the traditional lurcher are blinded by what cross they should or shouldn’t be, rather than the way they work 

true but the younger generation follow the fashionable crosses bull x get the right line of bedlington and will do the job aswell and to be sure ur spoilt for choice if your look at bull xs and your going to have a quest try to find the right line bred beddy cross

On 20/07/2018 at 11:41, bird said:

true mate, but (herding x sight hounds) are the worse out there regards temp , a 1/4 of any herding type plenty = collie, beardie , kelpie , gsd , dont know about  acd , but prob the same, they all show excessive  sensitive, manic  nature . i really think to catch a rabbit  day or night, a lurcher x lurcher  , would  do the job just as good and easier  temp to get on with. drop of pit , or beddy   would have a nice calming affect  on the herding nature , thats what go for if i wanted  herding type x . i always wanted a pit x grey x collie x grey  12 years ago , but not many were being bred back then, it was either straight  pit x grey , or straight collie x grey , so ended up with old Bryn, been great rabbit dog, but never been keen on his temp, 1x collie x grey. still you carnt turn the clock back as they say , just learn from  it , if i ever get another lurcher it be  a 1x beddy x grey  do same job as  any 1x collie x grey , but easier to live with , well it would for me .!  lol 

aye defo had 3 beardie f1s a 3/8 5/8 and a 3/4 1 of the f1s was a nightmare but worked out a great dog but hard work at times lol i run beddie x grey now insane prey drive faster than any collie f1 cross and a pleasure to train and live with

37377020_1312024405599301_1155296192024805376_n.jpg

• Like 5