different collie crosses.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Most herding dog /running dog composites are variable,..both physically and mentally,...they don't suit everyone... Nothing wrong with that...  I am a weak and feeble, quiet, inoffensive wee

Beardie/border x greyhound,didn’t like the car but lots of dogs aren’t keen on traveling in cars,good with kids,good nose could catch rabbits,easily trained,nice dog.

aye defo had 3 beardie f1s a 3/8 5/8 and a 3/4 1 of the f1s was a nightmare but worked out a great dog but hard work at times lol i run beddie x grey now insane prey drive faster than any collie f1 cr

Posted Images

19 hours ago, shaaark said:

I know some will obviously disagree with this, and I aint gonna get into too much, but I've owned a dog with beardie in, and seen plenty of others. And almost without exception, they were all far too much headwork. And I'm talking from 30 odd years ago upto present day.  Not for me, by a loooong way

keep a beddy cross now after all the hard work wi ma last beardiex grey lol but it was tough lamping 4 nights a week up perth 30-40 a nite tough feet thick skin headstrong n nervy! wouldnt touch 1 unless i could go lamping 4 night in 7 lol

Edited by pot hunter
4 minutes ago, Black neck said:

The lads why dont you just admit that bull or beddy or weaton xs are the way farrods

Stop beating about the bush

true statement but reality is the bull x era is here and the traditional lurcher is getting harder to find?

Edited by pot hunter
3 minutes ago, pot hunter said:

true statement but reality is the bull x era is here and the traditional lurcher is getting harder to find?

I think to many people looking for the traditional lurcher are blinded by what cross they should or shouldn’t be, rather than the way they work 

• Like 1

Most herding dog /running dog composites are variable,..both physically and mentally,...they don't suit everyone...

Nothing wrong with that...

I am a weak and feeble, quiet, inoffensive wee fecker, who would not say boo to a goose...?

I kinda, go with the flow and don't get angry with a lurcher,..so my temperament probably suits a dog that is on the same wavelength..

Over the years I have schooled plenty of sheepdog/cattle dog types, Borders, Beardies and farm dogs of that ilk,...I don't have a problem with them.

However, as my Father and Grandfather both taught me,...dogs need to have a strong inclination to work and accept training,...they need exceptional prey drive.

They definitely do not need silly fecking temperamental issues?

Animals that are irrationally nervous or spooky, or show undesirable traits, are of no use as roustabout mouching dogs,..and such examples should never be bred from.

Back in the day, we were far more selective,...my old folks bred a lot and probably shot a lot...?

IMG_6337.thumb.JPG.e3bf89e62bae9e5699a43434d3363441.JPG

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
25 minutes ago, Black neck said:

The lads why dont you just admit that bull or beddy or weaton xs are the way farrods

Well this certainly aint beating about the bush. I will NEVER EVER own another dog, never mind just lurcher, with beardie blood!! 

Love staffs, pits etc, but not bull cross lurchers. I know they have their place for some, but not for me.

Wheaten crosses the same, especially with all that coat.

And 90% of the beddy crosses that I've seen have the worst coats of of any working dog I've seen. Not that I've seen loads, as they were never that common a type around me, and I don't do many shows to see that many

45 minutes ago, Black neck said:

I had one with all 3 in and he was bombproof, the collie on the other hand was a 5 year nightmare. He won't be trying to bite anyone again though.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, gnipper said:

I had one with all 3 in and he was bombproof, the collie on the other hand was a 5 year nightmare. He won't be trying to bite anyone again though.

You know my stand on collie crosses in general gnipper. And I think there's alot to be said for plain old lurcher to lurcher bred litters, never mind all this 1st cross or 3/4 bred whatever type. And certainly, all the lurchers I saw growing up, were lurcher to lurcher. And as far as I'm aware, and researching as far back as I can go, most lurchers would've been practically plain old mongrels with just a dash of sighthound

• Like 2
1 hour ago, shaaark said:

Well this certainly aint beating about the bush. I will NEVER EVER own another dog, never mind just lurcher, with beardie blood!! 

Love staffs, pits etc, but not bull cross lurchers. I know they have their place for some, but not for me.

Wheaten crosses the same, especially with all that coat.

And 90% of the beddy crosses that I've seen have the worst coats of of any working dog I've seen. Not that I've seen loads, as they were never that common a type around me, and I don't do many shows to see that many

What you  into then furgal

1 hour ago, shaaark said:

You know my stand on collie crosses in general gnipper. And I think there's alot to be said for plain old lurcher to lurcher bred litters, never mind all this 1st cross or 3/4 bred whatever type. And certainly, all the lurchers I saw growing up, were lurcher to lurcher. And as far as I'm aware, and researching as far back as I can go, most lurchers would've been practically plain old mongrels with just a dash of sighthound

Plain old lurcher to lurcher bred for I don’t know how many generations.. there’s everything in this mutt . Suits me and the dandering over the fields I do AE45AB24-E895-4DE9-810E-DA69377558A5.thumb.jpeg.7b0b682cd695494daf31b58871db0f92.jpeg6495098B-BBDE-40AD-9198-0F5D8A85D45F.thumb.jpeg.e4e0a64d5f6ae55d9c5d3ddace7118e8.jpeg

• Like 4