Out on the Rape tonight!

No , not in the Peter Sutcliffe / Levi Bellfield way , I’m a happily married family man ! They have started combining here . So I’m going to sit out near one of the release pens and see if anything shows . Then when it’s dark. I will do a couple of circuits of the estate. I will do a write up tomorrow. Atb

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Well , I went out as planned and waited by a pheasant pen until it was dark , about 10.20 saw nothing. Did a bit of a tour around the estate , scanning with my thermal spotter and only saw a few deer , rabbits and a badger . Arrived at the newly cut rape field about 11.00 . Prior to entering the first field I made sure everything was ready to take a shot , but nothing ...next field ....nothing’ and that was it , can’t shoot what isn’t there . Will be out again tonight and will stay out later , hopefully with a more interesting tale to tell . ATB

Started the evening off checking the fencers on all the pens and making sure there were no problems around the pens . The birds are getting out and about now and getting back in the pens to roost no problems now . I know there is still a fox about that I haven’t accounted for , but he hasn’t caused any problems...yet ! So i waited out where I thought he might show at dusk but no sign of it . Got on to the rape field about 10.45 and nothing about . I know I’ve got the fox population right down now and every fox I get now will be a difficult one . There is the wheat to come off yet which should show a few , but generally I’ve knocked a big hole in the fox population on the estate . Did another tour of the estate with the thermal...nothing. Back on to the rape fields and there is a small copse in the middle of one field and I could make out a fox peeping out of the side . A couple of squeaks on my hand and he came running in like a good-un . I had to shout at it to stop ..”oi” it stopped dead in his tracks . No more than 40/50 yards and then ... I missed him !! And missed him clean , saw it run off . First thought was , I must have knocked the scope out . So I went and shot a rabbit at about 100 yards and knocked it over . Weather it was a bit of rape stalk or just me I don’t know . But I was so pissed off I called it a night . I’m Sat here drowning my sorrows with a bottle of Hop house 13 lager , I feel better already ?

Edited by shovel leaner
  • Like 4

If your going to miss any it’s the absolute sitters , anyone that ever shot any amount of foxes has done it .. Ive missed two out the bedroom window at less than twenty five yards over the last couple of years ..the lager will help no end ..

• Thanks 1

I’m blaming the weather, I took my mate up to the pheasant shoot last night, got onto a big dog, me on the NV and my mate on the rifle got the dog down to about 70 yards lit it up and he clean missed it, then came the barrage of excuses, my heads banging because of the weather, my backs killing me ? I had to tell him he didn’t need to explain himself to me, we all miss

on another note he brought a spray fox lure with him, I don’t know if any of you have used this but the smell is horrendous, I can’t describe the smell, the foxes seem to be interested in it but I think if I’m trying to draw one into an area I’ll stick to baiting, I can still smell the lure in my car ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Stavross said:

I’m blaming the weather, I took my mate up to the pheasant shoot last night, got onto a big dog, me on the NV and my mate on the rifle got the dog down to about 70 yards lit it up and he clean missed it, then came the barrage of excuses, my heads banging because of the weather, my backs killing me ? I had to tell him he didn’t need to explain himself to me, we all miss

on another note he brought a spray fox lure with him, I don’t know if any of you have used this but the smell is horrendous, I can’t describe the smell, the foxes seem to be interested in it but I think if I’m trying to draw one into an area I’ll stick to baiting, I can still smell the lure in my car ?

Watched Mark Ripley on his YouTube Rips 260 show using that spray . Seems to get them to show a bit of interest . Don’t know if I’d bother though . Having said that I never thought I’d buy thermal / night vision / icotec fox caller / quiver critter . Sod it I’ll order it now .?

• Haha 2
1 minute ago, shovel leaner said:

Watched Mark Ripley on his YouTube Rips 260 show using that spray . Seems to get them to show a bit of interest . Don’t know if I’d bother though . Having said that I never thought I’d buy thermal / night vision / icotec fox caller / quiver critter . Sod it I’ll order it now .?

My advice would be don’t bother unless you have no sense of smell and no friends, it f*cking stinks, my mate knows the bloke who makes it so sent him a bottle to try, to be honest If I have to use that to attract the bloody fox I’d rather hand feed it my pheasants ???

• Haha 2

£28 .00 for the spray from best fox call 

I've used a good few times , and it didn't do much good , in in the back of the truck 

but doesn't come out very often , 

i suppose if you know there trail that they tend to follow , it would hold them up , to get a shot away , 

And yes you want to spill in the the back of the truck 

Atb 

Edited by David.evans
Wouldn't want to spill in the truck
  • Like 2