Hammerli blackout 800

I have recently just bought this rifle and I have read up mixed reviews. I was trying to set the scopes today’s with webely accupell and it seemed getting couple shots pellet on pellet at 18m then a grate number if shots weren’t flying all over. It was impossible to set the sights. They felt alomost slack in the breech , and when firing smoke was coming out the barrel. Im just wondering what could Be done to improve accuracy I’m gojng to test some different types of pellets tomorrow is there any you guys would recommend and also I have orders some paste to loob the inside of the rifle as i though it may have been stood in the shop a while. 

Edited by Ross Fewster

I'm far from an expert on airguns, but smoke coming out of the barrel would suggest dieseling, which would also explain the pellets flying everywhere. That's caused by the oil igniting under compression - like a diesel engine.

Try giving it a good old clean out before you do anything else. 

Tried some JBS exact today these this not smoke and grouped a lot better allot less flyers got it down to 1 1/2 in grouping ish. Think the barrel needs leading up and also finding the right pellet. I know it’s capable of better groupings so I’ll Ben trying another pellet in the next few day. Cheers for the info I am also accounting for me being a shit shot as I am used to shooting pcp 

4 hours ago, Ross Fewster said:

Tried some JBS exact today these this not smoke and grouped a lot better allot less flyers got it down to 1 1/2 in grouping ish. Think the barrel needs leading up and also finding the right pellet. I know it’s capable of better groupings so I’ll Ben trying another pellet in the next few day. Cheers for the info I am also accounting for me being a shit shot as I am used to shooting pcp 

Practice then practice ,,,,then practice some more Ross

practice is the one most important thing you must do with a spring rifle Ross

the more you practice the better you will get .

iv been shooting spring since i was a nipper and i still practice now

you have to to keep your eye in .

A spring rifle is unforgiving it will bite back the first chance it gets

let the fore stock sit in your hand dont grip it the rifle needs to slide back in the hand when it recoils

try different holds on the rifle see what suits you better IE,,,kneeling,, prone,, rested ,,standing

and you will get there mate

you need to be in a 5p group before you go hunting live vermin

and do it with out thinking about it every time .

atvbmac:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

I agree with the other comments Ross. The smoke does sound like dieseling. A thorough clean of the barrel, breech and piston seal should sort it. Most rifles I’ve tried like JSB exact or Air Arms field. I hope you get on well with it. Enjoy the springer challenge.