Ace boon coon

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can't even take the piss without someone  turning it into a worthwhile thread .Place has gone to the dogs . As to diet ,during the foot and mouth the Beaufort had to feed dry biscuits and pork pi

Except you don't know your stuff..... ??

For my tuppence worth, a good diet will give you a small percentage of difference with a dogs stamina and physicality.  It won't make one iota of difference to it's attitude to work or gameness, terri

1 hour ago, Kerny92 said:

So you would have a well fed cur over an average fed grafter? Alrighty then......

My point is no food will turn a shite dog in to something worth owning.......

I didn't say that did I ... I said the correct diet for a dog makes a world of difference. ... do you think the top sled dogs in the idarod race would be as competitive over the 1000 mile race if they were fed just on biscuit and not the fish and meat they also get ... 

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, socks said:

I didn't say that did I ... I said the correct diet for a dog makes a world of difference. ... do you think the top sled dogs in the idarod race would be as competitive over the 1000 mile race if they were fed just on biscuit and not the fish and meat they also get ... 

I don't know that and neither do you unless you've tried a kibble diet on sled dogs? I'm not disputing the matter but at the end of the day a diet isn't going to give you a good working dog if it isn't made of the right stuff.

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, Kerny92 said:

I don't know that and neither do you unless you've tried a kibble diet on sled dogs? I'm not disputing the matter but at the end of the day a diet isn't going to give you a good working dog if it isn't made of the right stuff.

I never said anything about shit dogs did I ... a good dog will perform better on a good diet in fact any dog will work better on a good diet that's just common sense ... oh and all the mushers feed their dogs on meat and fish so that answers your question for you ....... 

For my tuppence worth, a good diet will give you a small percentage of difference with a dogs stamina and physicality.  It won't make one iota of difference to it's attitude to work or gameness, terriers aren't all about physical ability,  it's more a mental thing IMO. Granted they need a level of fitness but it's certainly not the be all and end all, they're just wired up different in the noggin.

Edited by dillydog
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
21 minutes ago, dillydog said:

For my tuppence worth, a good diet will give you a small percentage of different with a dogs stamina and physicality.  It won't make one iota of difference to it's attitude to work or gameness, terriers aren't all about physical ability,  it's more a mental thing IMO. Granted they need a level of fitness but it's certainly not the be all and end all, they're just wired up different in the noggin.

I agree with you, food won't make a dif in attitude to work or gameness that should be there through genetics but it def does help. Crap food will make your dog alittle bloaty give them loose stool, and either one of those could make a dog run hot which will affect the quality of there performance in the physical and mental state . Let alone the more poop you have to clean up and crap foood has worse smell when they take a dump. There coats don't look as nice nor does there bodies meaning lack of muscle. So in a way it does affect the work attitude and the gameness. To many bad reasons to want to feed your dog junk food versus the good reason to want to feed good food. Like taking your hot rod to the strip, do you put the cheapest gas in it so it runs like crap but still makes it down the track or do you run real high octane and have the car burning cleaner which will make it run a little faster to get a better time? Im going with the higher octane forsure. Then there are folks who feed high end food to there dog's with to much protien that they get the shit's and run hot off of also.  i think you gotta find a good food that works for your dog's and stay away from the crap. And what are you guy's calling biscuits? Dry dog food?

54 minutes ago, socks said:

I never said anything about shit dogs did I ... a good dog will perform better on a good diet in fact any dog will work better on a good diet that's just common sense ... oh and all the mushers feed their dogs on meat and fish so that answers your question for you ....... 

I'm not disputing that but my point still stands. As for the mushers don't you think they are fed that diet first and foremost because of convenience above all things? 

5 hours ago, Kerny92 said:

I haven't had a dog starve yet so must doing something right.....

Food ain't going to give you a good dog either. ???

Food will give you a good dog. Look at pups born and raised on shit food versus pups feed a good healthy diet. Any fool could see the dif. Food plays a big roll in how we grow,  how our hair looks and feels, our mental and physical aspect. But it won't make them a worker that comes from  gentics

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Ace Boone coon said:

Food will give you a good dog. Look at pups born and raised on shit food versus pups feed a good healthy diet. Any fool could see the dif. Food plays a big roll in how we grow,  how our hair looks and feels, our mental and physical aspect. But it won't make them a worker that comes from  gentics

Food will give you nothing if the dog isn't bred with it in the first place.

• Like 1

No it's easier to feed kibble on the Iditarod as they have feed stations all accross the course with their food and straw etc waiting for them. Also they don't feed for convenience it's an 8 day race so they feed what's best for the dog .....

I was assuming that we were all feeding a good quality food in the first place, my tuppence worth was aimed at the dogs fed on a scientific balanced mumbo jumbo BS diet. I've had a digging partner with the same family of dogs, he fed his dogs on "the best of the best" , he had mad little portions of this and that and fed them at specific times throughout the day.   Did it help ? I wouldn't say so, they didn't do anything different than the dogs I kept, he even ran them on a treadmill,  which again didn't change a thing.

• Like 6
1 minute ago, Kerny92 said:

Food will give you nothing if the dog isn't bred with it in the first place.

Your right food isn't gonna make a dog work but it will help his performance and that's why we should feed good food. These are little warriors going to ground and we need to give them every edge we can to make them the best we can. No matter how strong there drive is when they run hot and can't breath there done! You can't breath your not working or your not working at full potential amd what about muscle cramping also? Think they don't cramp up also? if you wouldn't half ass yourself why would you half ass your dog? After all he is the one doing the hardest part so he deserve the respect to be feed good food fresh water daily and his shots kept up to date. We depend on them and they depend on us.

• Like 5

Can't even take the piss without someone  turning it into a worthwhile thread .Place has gone to the dogs .

As to diet ,during the foot and mouth the Beaufort had to feed dry biscuits and pork pies instead of the flesh they were used to and they looked a sorry state in all fairness .The quality of food should never drop but the quantity should be adjusted according to workload or lack of it and weather if outdoors .A good stockmen will adjust food subconsciously through just looking at the dogs .Hate to see fat dogs at any time of the year but like to see a dog starting the day with proper cover .Hard condition is whats aimed for in our little hero's not skinny fecker like I saw last season .

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

Sorry I took it to a more serious place......getting back on track, you're all c**ts with nothing more to add but quotes from the plummer book you all stole from the library 

And I'm genuinely sitting here watching the deliverance  !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1