new season

2 hours ago, mad4digging said:

Fair play shaneg that's a good dig on you're own not many would have stuck it out if that ground is the same way the ground is down here

Good dig on your own ? Much rather the hard ground, dig steady away with no rush and more enjoyment, whereas when the sand  goes real soft i worry a little.

• Like 1

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Young bitches both ready to start once the season arrives.

And 8ft yesterday and I out on my own. Couldn’t believe the box when it said 8ft never seen this place go over 4ft in the 10+ years I’ve been doing this place. The ground was like concrete from start

:  

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Mooching Celt said:

I heard something a long while ago regarding bone dry earths lacking oxygen or something along those lines compared to when the soil is damper.....can anyone elaborate anymore?

dry dusty air wouldnt be much good for lungs ....good damp soil would be less dust causing better air...

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, nippy1234 said:

dry dusty air wouldnt be much good for lungs ....good damp soil would be less dust causing better air...

A lot of earths never get damp as the tubes run under a layer of hard ground, that’s why they’re used. That being said, anyone ever come across some earths where they’re soaking wet at the stop? I often wonder why the quarry would lay rest in them.

14 minutes ago, rob284 said:

A lot of earths never get damp as the tubes run under a layer of hard ground, that’s why they’re used. That being said, anyone ever come across some earths where they’re soaking wet at the stop? I often wonder why the quarry would lay rest in them.

One of the best holding earths we do is in peat a pretty shallow place that doesn’t need much rain to make the tubes and the stops very wet but it still holds well, and if hounds are out and get a hunt anywhere close by it’s always the place they head to preferring it to dry places close by.

• 4 weeks later...

After taking the young dog out last week to check a few empty earths (purposely) I dug him today at 3ft, he worked his game well, dug him in a stop end locked, his first 2 digs I dug him locked on in the tube.

Edited by Apache...
  • Like 14
On 20/08/2018 at 20:54, rob284 said:

Maybe they lay mid tube and the terrier pushes them to the wet stop end..?

• Like 1