A good start on new ground.

Had a call the other day asking if I could take care of some problem foxes which neighbour our shoot. The lady keeps her guard dog chained up at night outside and the cheeky fox walks right past the dog just far away enough so the dog can’t reach it! 

Got set up at 9:30 and within 15 dog starts barking and there is the fox strolling right past it. I let it walk past the dog and having to shoot through stock fencing wasn’t ideal but the 55gr Winchester bullet hit home. Having a scan around with the thermal I saw another around 500 yards away strolling towards me so I kept an eye on it until it was 200 yards and it was another accounted for in the space of 30 minutes.

To say the lady was delighted was an understatement! 

Even better than getting those two was when I dropped into the shoot on the way home and floored another on freshly cut grass, so it was a very productive night.  

C0F05466-08D6-45E9-BE72-C7F063154632.jpeg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, shovel leaner said:

Nice one Jarvis , good work . Nice when it happens like that . Is that a drone pro ? How you getting on with NV and thermal? 

Hi S.L. Yer it’s a drone 10x and I have a pulsar xq50f thermal. Deadly combination. Makes life so much  easier when the foxes have no idea you are there and is fascinating to watch them acting naturally. 

• Thanks 1
55 minutes ago, Deker said:

Always satisfying when a plan comes together.

The fox is VERY clever but too often his routines lead to his undoing!

:thumbs:

Yes it is. The lady txt me this morning though saying her dog started barking at 2:30 so there must be at least one other taking the same path. My guess it’s from the same litter as the one I shot, so I’ll be having another look out tomorrow night.  

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Jarvis said:

Hi S.L. Yer it’s a drone 10x and I have a pulsar xq50f thermal. Deadly combination. Makes life so much  easier when the foxes have no idea you are there and is fascinating to watch them acting naturally. 

Couldn’t agree more . I always did alright lamping and was happy enough with my results. But I’m a total convert now . Just makes dealing with Charlie so much easier. I must get around to watching them acting naturally. I’m always in too much of a hurry to pull the trigger!?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

Couldn’t agree more . I always did alright lamping and was happy enough with my results. But I’m a total convert now . Just makes dealing with Charlie so much easier. I must get around to watching them acting naturally. I’m always in too much of a hurry to pull the trigger!?

Hahaha! I know what you mean! When you know they aren’t going anywhere though it is interesting to watch them. One night I was watching a dog and a vixen following  each other around and he was so subservient to her swishing his tail it was really interesting two watch. 

• Like 2

Used to watch the couple on the nature reserve 3/400 metres away till they decided to have our Partidges for dinner before returning to their safe haven .Very playful but as you know now theres 1 less and the other 1 has moved to our "plantation" so its not long for this world .Nice work Jarvis sounds like they enjoy winding the dog up but i,m guessing not for much longer 

4 hours ago, Baldcoot said:

Used to watch the couple on the nature reserve 3/400 metres away till they decided to have our Partidges for dinner before returning to their safe haven .Very playful but as you know now theres 1 less and the other 1 has moved to our "plantation" so its not long for this world .Nice work Jarvis sounds like they enjoy winding the dog up but i,m guessing not for much longer 

Yer the dog will soon hopefully be having a peaceful night! I couldn’t believe how close this fox was walking near the dog, it was not bothered at all. The dog was on the end of its chain going bezerk and the fox was just mooching past it literally a 2-3 yards from the end of the chain. 

Well done mate, that was a nice productive evening, I also see you got a new rifle then.

agreed about thermal and nv, they really work well together,  and the foxes routine is undoubtedly it's biggest let down, the amount we've accounted for after putting cams out and learning routes and times.

Talking about brazen, I sat and watched a vixen walk across to my lounge window and sit down not 2 ft from it and proceed to start scratching an itch, my dog was at the glass going bezerk, the Mrs sat in the chair with light and tv on, I was sat by a hedge waiting for it, needless to say as soon as it moved clear from my house............

• Like 3
10 hours ago, Rabid said:

Well done mate, that was a nice productive evening, I also see you got a new rifle then.

agreed about thermal and nv, they really work well together,  and the foxes routine is undoubtedly it's biggest let down, the amount we've accounted for after putting cams out and learning routes and times.

Talking about brazen, I sat and watched a vixen walk across to my lounge window and sit down not 2 ft from it and proceed to start scratching an itch, my dog was at the glass going bezerk, the Mrs sat in the chair with light and tv on, I was sat by a hedge waiting for it, needless to say as soon as it moved clear from my house............

Alright mate, I’ve had this rifle for a while now. It’s my remmy 700 vssf .22-250 

yer it’s satisfying getting them once you have put in the time doing a bit of recon.