Zesty Pan Fried Pigeon Ciabatta

How's this then! Shot about 8am, on my plate for 1pm in my belly by 1.01pm bloody delicious! 

Pan fried the breasts and left to rest, made an orange zest and white wine reduction served with some rocket and watercress on a ciabatta. 

My first time eating woodies but definitely not the last. Was amazing, I would say on par with a decent medium rare fillet steak! 

IMG_20180715_072745.jpg

IMG_20180715_131831_Bokeh.jpg

• Like 5

Yep, Woodpigeon is up there with Woodcock and Partridge and yet you here of assholes dumping them. A few times I've had their breasts on the pan a half hour after shooting it and it can be like beef, that's why I like the sound of your other recipe.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, neil cooney said:

Yep, Woodpigeon is up there with Woodcock and Partridge and yet you here of assholes dumping them. A few times I've had their breasts on the pan a half hour after shooting it and it can be like beef, that's why I like the sound of your other recipe.

Yep, I need to make a biltong box before I begin trying to make any so will be a few weeks yet. Decided that this woodie was going to be lunch as soon as I spotted it in the oak!

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Benn McIntyre said:

Yep, I need to make a biltong box before I begin trying to make any so will be a few weeks yet. Decided that this woodie was going to be lunch as soon as I spotted it in the oak!

Made a rather elaborate biltong box some years back which worked well. Only ever made beef biltong though but can't see why woodies wouldn't work well. Would be interesting to see the results.

biltongstart.jpg.816a977f52ff2a040e7323a6fa9caff4.jpg

• Like 4

With how warm it is at the moment I finished my deer jerky off sun dried on a rack knocked up from hazel last Friday. I was surprised how quick it dried it.

I suppose it was 2+ hours hickory cold smoked and then left over night in my smoker (no longer being smoked) and finished the following morning air dried for maybe 3-5 hours.

2 hours ago, mushroom said:

What power is that bulb mate? I fancy having a go at making one.

To be honest I can't remember, probably a 60 watt, but remember it's there for heat and a lot of bulbs nowadays are not incandescent type so other bulbs might not be quite so warm. You need a bit of airflow whilst trying to keep the flies out, hence the green mesh and the holes.

biltongbox4.jpg.ceab695c5e82ab55941e127de0ae53fd.jpg