Never thought I’d hear myself say this , especially around release time , but I need some rain . My cover crops which are mainly maize and a couple of wild bird mixes haven’t had any rain since they were planted 1st week in June . Also the birds I’ve put to wood haven’t seen rain , they hadn’t been out of the shelter pens when it last rained . The ground is cracked and dry as a bone . These covers should be well grown by now but my maize is barely a foot tall , the brassicas in the wild bird mix are also covered with cabbage white butterfly’s  . Oh woe is me ?

Well farmer joked with me yesterday .     I see you've got your birds champion it will rain soon     He's right forecast for rain and some heavy bursts by tues   bet its just over my release pens?.

HAPPY DAYS.

• Like 1

If you see any send it my way, I’ve just been up to the shoot and I’ve never seen it so dry, I had a fence repair to do at the back of one of the pens I took my wellies because it’s always boggie at the back, got there and it’s like a dust bowl, we are supposed to get heavy showers over the next week but if that’s what we get then it will just run off the dry land, we need some prolonged rain to soak in 

• Like 1

Same here in South Northamptonshire, haven’t had rain for well over a month now and looking at the forecast we’re not getting any this week either! We desperately need some for the covers as well! 

13 hours ago, The one said:

Its been pissing down here since lunch time but its so humid now 

That’s the problem, the right conditions for disease. My birds have been in the pens long enough now . I’ve already lifted the wire on one pen . 

No needing rain they have started the harvest must be really early with two months of hot days  and no rain and the covers no as high or as strong as usual  but I've noticed there's loads of berries on the holly  so it might mean another bad winter