Mesh in ferret toilet areas

Talking to a friend tonight and hes trying to convince me to put mesh where the ferrets go the toilet and have a tray underneath to catch the crap etc. I've always just scooped out and cleaned.  

Is it a regular thing having it like that and what are the pros / cons of it .

my hutches had that when they where at my dads they where in a wooded area out the road the crap fell threw the wire and the chickens cleaned it up , i brought the hutches here the wire was rotten i had to replace it a few years again same thing there piss corrodes it i put in solid floors , but then made my own hutches with solid floors , i didnt like the ferrets walking over wire floors all the time and although there where two sizes of mesh it used to clog up and i was often power washing it now with a  wooden hutch i think its easier 

I've used mesh like that for over fifty years no problems.  As The One said it used to rot out after two or three years when we used to use chicken wire but now you can get good quality weld mesh. You can make two groves so you can with draw the mesh out for cleaning. I just have a nine inch strip of one inch weld mesh at one end of of the hutch works well for me, the wooden part of the floor stays lovely and dry. I've always thought the mesh on super market trolleys would be good as you never seem to see a rusty one.

Cheers Arry   

• Like 4

I use the the galvanised mesh in the corner of my hutches, the stuff used for avieries. Got it on the front of my runs and hutches. No had any problems with it rotting, its been in the hutches a couple years now. Iv 6 ferrets using it so it does clog but it gives me about  3 or 4 days before the hutch needs cleaning out. Used to be every day before I put it in.

3 hours ago, Welsh_red said:

How'd you find them running along the mesh all the time? You get any accidents with their legs getting caught in there while their running around 

No mate I have a wooden floor just the last nine inches is 1" x 1" weld mesh, they back up to it and shit and piss through the mesh, very rare to see them on the mesh. I fill a large seed tray with saw dust, you could use soil, shavings or garden peat/compost, works for me. Never had any accidents in over 50 years.

Cheers Arry