Nuisance flies

This year seems to be a bad year for flies of various types. Horse flies being the most horrible.we have only encountered a couple one of which  bit the Mrs on the leg. Some people have had serious amounts  of horse flies. if you are suffering from fly, are you making any sort of fly traps to reduce their numbers? Only dead flies are of any use and that is as fertiliser. Vermin.

Where I live is a old water meadow /lake bed ,clay soil and always been bad for flies and spiders .

we just use squatters and fly tapes 

missus did buy a magnetic fly screen for the door , which looked a pile of shite an luckily was broke when I got it out the box so made her take it back for a refund , told her not to bring another home as the staff pup would tear it down , I’d love a metal chain type screen like butchers have but they are expensive .

• Like 1

I remember seeing a plastic bag trap hanging from a tree out in Spain. It had a cone shaped top lid with holes in it. It was an evil mess of sludge in the bottom then a layer  of decomposing bodies, then a layer of writhing maggots, then quantities of flies who seemed to  be contained slowly doomed to a horrible end. Pretty foul and gruesome but effective.

2 hours ago, forest of dean redneck said:

Where I live is a old water meadow /lake bed ,clay soil and always been bad for flies and spiders .

we just use squatters and fly tapes 

missus did buy a magnetic fly screen for the door , which looked a pile of shite an luckily was broke when I got it out the box so made her take it back for a refund , told her not to bring another home as the staff pup would tear it down , I’d love a metal chain type screen like butchers have but they are expensive .

I hope you meant swatters, can't use homeless people to kill flies 

• Haha 1

Were being plagued by thunderbugs. The dog started to act weird and kept darting about, goIng round and round in circles and then just standing blankly like horses do. The mrs took the dog round to the tap and used the hose mist spray to get into the fur to cool her down and stop the bugs. The dampIng  down seems to have done the trick and she has settled down and gone to sleep. Meanwhile we are being plagued with the t bugs and scratching like we've got fleas.

Edited by Meece

I hate horse flies, but they seem to love me . I have to cover all my exposed skin with Deet . The thing is when you feel them biting you it’s too late , and I swell up and and itch so much I take the skin off . If I do get a bite now I cover it with Anthisan cream which gives a bit of relief. This year is the worst I’ve known for them . 

He was probably some know it from England who's never set foot in the Highlands. Were just coming into the proper  midges time of the year. Be nice to think he might be right though. There f***ing torture those vicious wee b*****d's!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Those electric fly-swatters that look like tennis bats and electrocute mozzies would be usefull here in this weather,and didn't someone have one of those salt-shotguns for flies on here?

I thought it was a good year hardly seeing anything and i got three funnel traps out of poundstretchers and have them round the ferrets and ever morning there full of dead blue bottles ive hardly seen a maggot near them either