1 hour ago, kanny said:

GL vs food ....GL won!    You should do that bear grills survival island thing .....full breakfast every morning  brunch,  lunch ,tea and supper  :laugh: 

1 hour ago, sussex said:

You could fall down a carzie and come up with a five course meal,and all the wine ! Every one else would find a turd ? 

looks fabulous , you up there for the weekend GL ? 

Can you believe I just turned down a steak and a chillin? I know it’s bad but gin has got the better of me I’m off home tomor there’s a food festival in Braintree I got tickets so must attend ??

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Had an early walk out for the last two days now , it’s one of them tasks that can become fruitless on the other hand just when you think there’s nothing down for ya you spot something that’s makes it

Things you find beachcombing ! I’m lucky to find a stone with a hole in , you turn up and find fish , a full English cooking on bbq ( when the fella gets back from his swim he’s going to be mighty pis

Greedy little whippet waiting for the boat to come in ?

Posted Images

All very nice mate, Getting worried about you though mate there was brown bread and green leaves on one of them plates Lol. I love crab, that looks  handsome.

Cheers Arry

• Like 1
12 hours ago, kanny said:

GL vs food ....GL won!    You should do that bear grills survival island thing .....full breakfast every morning  brunch,  lunch ,tea and supper  :laugh: 

haha     got me that    all i get is a  couple biscuits  and cup of tea  , to start the day   lol   

• Like 2
On 15/07/2018 at 08:55, Arry said:

All very nice mate, Getting worried about you though mate there was brown bread and green leaves on one of them plates Lol. I love crab, that looks  handsome.

Cheers Arry

The lad who fishes out that way catches them crab and boils them up and dresses em they still warm when I get em , they really are one of the best fresh crabs I’ve eaten along with the Devon king crab ? 

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

Did you seriously find that gurnard and eat it lol.They are rank when fresh let alone washed up .

When gl left my house once i noticed the goldfish had gone ?.

• Haha 3
4 hours ago, foxdropper said:

Did you seriously find that gurnard and eat it lol.They are rank when fresh let alone washed up .

Depends who and how you cook it I like to curry them  with hot chillies Rick stein and plenty other top chefs serve it , and the price per kilo has risen and they fetch good money ????????

Edited by green lurchers
1 hour ago, foxdropper said:

150 % bones though. Lol

currying anything is to mask the rankness though surely mate .

Sort of new you’d play the curry/ chilli mask flavour card but hey I eat chillis on pretty much everything so nothing’s new ther . Over the years monkfish Jon dory and a host of other fish never found there way to the table because of a misunderstood way of thinking bit like yours really , but over time all fish find there way to the table  eventually even the guhnard be a shame if all we went for was cod , I’m lucky that a few of my family worked billingsgate over the years and fish  of all kinds was put infront of me as a kid “ treat every mouthful like it got bones in it  “ was how I ate fish so crying over a few bones wasn’t gonna get you a different dinner years back  , any ol road back to Bernard the guhnard. If it was 25p a kg years back and then £4 a kg once top chefs started serving it up sort of says it’s not the ghastly fish you portray it as  ???????? Don’t take my word for it tho got a go as I’m doing a cod and prawn cataplana with chillis ?

Ten years ago, few people other than fishermen knew about gurnard. I remember discovering this firm-fleshed, clean-flavoured fish through Rick Stein’s French Odyssey, the 2005 TV series in which he took a gastronomic journey from Padstow to Bordeaux, then on to Marseille, eating his way along the coast and canals of southern France. I remember him describing gurnard with such passion that I had to cook it myself.

Gurnard is difficult to fillet because of its bony structure, so save yourself the trouble and cook it whole. That way, the bone also imparts flavour to the flesh and helps keep its succulent texture; when ready, the fillets can then be teased from the frame. A whole gurnard roasts well, but for an even more aromatic flavour try wrapping it in parchment with herbs, “en papillote” style.

Gurnard is also a classic ingredient in bouillabaisse, the quintessential Marseille soup, which has origins dating back to 600BC. Bouillabaisse was traditionally made with the hard-to-sell bony varieties left over from the daily market, such as the spiny scorpion and weaver fish and conger eel, as well as the unloved gurnard.

Edited by green lurchers
47 minutes ago, mushroom said:

You can buy pretty much every fish you've described (except weaver) in the supermarkets here. Always stayed away from Gurnard but I'm gonna have a bash tomorrow now 

For cooking the power of the net means the best dishes of obscure fish meatb

is a touch of a button away ??

Edited by green lurchers
  • Like 2
15 minutes ago, forest of dean redneck said:

I got rid of half our cookbooks as like you say it’s all on the internet so why have them cluttering the worktop up.

All the ideas and flavours a button away , whenever I want to try a new dish  I just click on the net mind I do like aving a look thru the river cottage rick stein books , been watching a few Canadian French chefs on Netflix fkn amazing ?

• Like 1