Two notices

1 hour ago, DIDO.1 said:

Is that your chimney sweep van? My brother has his assessment today for chimney sweeping 

What do they asses, how you handle your tool or can you work the rod, it's only sticking a brush up a hole after all, 

2 hours ago, DIDO.1 said:

Is that your chimney sweep van? My brother has his assessment today for chimney sweeping 

I've got rods and brushes etc. myself and do mine, no training at all, I'm sure different situations must throw up complications, but how long is the training/assessment for a chimney Sweep!?

1 hour ago, Deker said:

I've got rods and brushes etc. myself and do mine, no training at all, I'm sure different situations must throw up complications, but how long is the training/assessment for a chimney Sweep!?

To be fair, there are a few things to know before starting out chimney sweeping, but the training centres take the p1ss. I could teach the course content in a morning, but they stretch it out for 3 days to justify the cost of the course. The assessment is a part of the process of fleecing another few hundred a year in return for dicking around with pointless paper work. What insurers and conveyancers want to see is a form detailing how the chimney was swept and any problems, to cover themselves. The chimney sweep can make their own forms, they don't need to be part of an association or to have their forms. There's a load of these training centres/associations been set up around the country (not just chimney sweeping, all sorts of trades) because it's a feck sight easier money than the job itself.

Edited by Caravan Monster
  • Like 1

Dam right......same with the mole catching! 

Our kid hasn't paid to much as he got some help being ex forces. Said he learnt more from his assessor today than on the course. He's got someone else he's been going out with as well and customers are queuing up for him so he's hoping he can build it up slowly with experience from a side line to something more 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Greyman said:

What do they asses, how you handle your tool or can you work the rod, it's only sticking a brush up a hole after all, 

Asses, tool, rod, stick it up a hole all in the same sentence? Are you sure you've visited the right website?

• Haha 1
7 hours ago, Dinosaurs said:

Years ago when i worked in London there was a plumbers van with Patel plumbing & heating “You've had the Cowboys in Now try the Indians”  written on the side. Atb

Couple of builder mates of mine called John & Wayne, had an ad with “John, Wayne - Don’t be fooled, we’re no cowboys”

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, pesky1972 said:

Couple of builder mates of mine called John & Wayne, had an ad with “John, Wayne - Don’t be fooled, we’re no cowboys”

I know two fellas called tom and jerry,they call the tom and jerry the Mickey mouse builders.