Ive got a 14 month old JRT bitch. Her behaviour is spot on, she has a half decent recall, and she works spot on. When im out with her and the ferrets she rarely goes more than 50 feet away from me while shes looking for holes or in the bushes and a whistle will bring her back to me. The problem I have is for some reason if i was to leave the garden gate open or take her off lead while im walking around the streets she would just bolt. And i mean no looking back, just one straight line with no stopping her. Do you think this is just with her age? Like i say, put her in a field or a forest and she is spot on, but anything around the houses turns into a fat ginger lad sprinting after a very small dog.

Screenshot_20180712-005043.png

Screenshot_20180712-005238.png

Screenshot_20180712-005553.png

Screenshot_20180712-005701.png

• Like 2

Agree with Terryd on that never know what's round the corner on streets could be something simple like someone terrified of dogs and yours comes round the corner off the lead if there that way could put a boot on your dog and leg it and leave you with a vet bill. Round houses and streets lead field safe and sound 

• Like 1

I had one exactly the same many years ago, perfect in her work and a cracking nature. She wouldn't do it all of the time but every now and then she'd see the gate was open, give you that collie stare and bolt. Just like yours, straight line, turn totally deaf and bolt !

The stupid thing was, I'd get in the car, drive up the lane and get in front of her, pull over to open the car door and she'd jump straight in !   I never did sort it out, she was so bad when I was in hunt service the yard where I kept my terriers had two gates, one either end of the housing. The gates just opened up to either end of the kennels which then lead around the staff houses and hound kennels, I'd see that look, she'd drop her shoulder and bolt. She'd run off at full pelt, totally ignore my bollocking, and turn up at the other gate after she did her lap of honour !!

Best of luck trying to sort it out, I never did, she was given to a mate because life's to short. 

• Like 1

Thanks mate, you have literally described how my dog is to a T. I love the naughtiness and character of a terrier, but I dont like bombing down the street in my slippers. Double catch on the gate it is haha

• Like 1