Chicken coop for ferrets

Finally got around to buying a chicken coop for the ferrets (thanks to my bet on Belgium earlier in the world cup) . I've been wanting one for over a year but things kept getting in the way of buying one . I've got 2 Jill's and a vas hob . I've got 2 hutches here already 

This one was given to me by a friend 

IMG_20180711_174551.jpg

And I built this one myself when I first got ferrets . It's a good hutch , solid and secure but heavy as sin and it's in one of my outside brick sheds 

IMG_20180711_174619.jpg

Ive always fancied a big outside hutch for the ferrets so they can have more space and experience the elements properly . In the shed the outside door is mesh so they get some wind/sun etc but it's not the same as being outside all the time. 

I bought this coop from Amazon , cost £200 delivered  . Given it two coats of paint , still needs touching up in parts I've missed . Excuse the rotation 

IMG_20180709_WA0008.jpg

I've decided to lift it up off the floor . Theirs a base and then I've got a removable ply on top that's got batterns around to hold coop in place . Idea is that once a week I can take coop off and take base off and clean it properly

IMG_20180710_181235_1.jpg

IMG_20180711_173736_1.jpg

I've read the little compartment under the nest box can become the toilet and it's hard to get in there to clean so Im going to ply that area off and have a hole in the ply and fill that area with kids play balls .

The rest of the hutch inside is undecided . Any idea of things to stick in there etc . I've got loads of pipe to find a home for 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, samuria said:

Yeah I seen ones like that Amazon for same kind of price.  The one I bought is a bit bigger in size than that I think.  

2 hours ago, terryd said:

Is it just for summer use ? They are a pain in the bad weather and everything ends up sodden mess. Great in this heat though

Tbh I was just going to see how it goes . If it gets manky in there I'll cover it up and they can go back in their inside hutch 

• Like 1

Finally got it as I want it for now . Still need some plastic balls for under the nest box . Got my ply with holes in and few pipes around.  Just want to get a hammock 

IMG_20180715_153728_1.jpg

IMG_20180715_150822.jpg

Behind this I'll be putting the ball pit 

IMG_20180715_123623_1.jpg

IMG_20180715_150815.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, king said:

looks good WR why dont you build a slanting roof coming off that wall to cover the lot.it will stop a lot of bad weather going in there come winter.

It was a idea I had but it's single skin brick laid to the poorest quality.  Swear Stevie wonder built it.  Got a outside light screwed in and I think that's all the banging /vibrations it can handle 

Come winter im going to think about buying a cover for it . Have it open on the front . And ive got a [BANNED TEXT] who works in a roofing company and when he damages a corrugated plastic sheet I'll buy it cheap and overhang the front a foot or so . I got offcuts on the other outside hutch.  I hate felt and never trust the stuff so having sheeting on top is for the future.  

Worst case scenario like I said is if it's grim in there over winter they can go back inside