my hunting setup 2018/2019 pic heavy

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

just been down to check the cam which i cant remember when it was last checked. threw done a salt/mineral lick block and bag of grain. what i am after to see is the bigger bucks antlers in v

Ok one photo is of a bear baiting stand. The bones are from the meat off cuts that is used for bait   the second photo is of fresh wolf tracks. A pack of wolves used a logging road, two

Things just went crazy   ok sat here all day again from 10am hawfrost all over the place,rolling fog. hunkered up again in the blind. nothing until 3.40pm i seen a deer.poke t

Posted Images

12 hours ago, socks said:

Not quite the hunting Utopia I thought it was ...... 

Same with the US really. I was watching Cam Hanes and Joe Rogan talking hunting yesterday and they said "they don't hunt in England". f***ing LOL! There are plenty of lads here that'll grass more deer in a season than them boys will in their lives combined!

Still, a few things I really do envy yanks and Canadians for is their wilderness, public lands, big/dangerous game and the choice of 'weapon'. I reckon I could hack tags, reg's and limits for such a variety of true adventure hunts.

I do appreciate Ted's contributions on here for that reason. :good:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
56 minutes ago, Ted Newgent said:

6.50am

5 mins before legal hunting time

i am parked up in the semi bed cab waiting.got the elk cow call loaded up on the foxpro 

weather is grey cloud, we had rain and snow last night. Temp around +1c

Good luck.

Looking forward to hearing how you do.

Atb j 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jetro said:

Did you have any luck Ted. 

That's a nice buck. 

Atb j 

Not yet

spent 3 hrs cow calling at my mates

only a doe and 3 fawns rocked up.

i am just scoping out a few different places

had nothing but rainy sleet not ideal

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Ted Newgent said:

Not yet

spent 3 hrs cow calling at my mates

only a doe and 3 fawns rocked up.

i am just scoping out a few different places

had nothing but rainy sleet not ideal

At least your getting out and seeing something. 

How long does the season last, worse case scenario, you can bag a couple of pigs LOL

Seriously though,  I hope you do get to take an elk.

Atb j 

• Thanks 1
12 hours ago, Born Hunter said:

Same with the US really. I was watching Cam Hanes and Joe Rogan talking hunting yesterday and they said "they don't hunt in England". f***ing LOL! There are plenty of lads here that'll grass more deer in a season than them boys will in their lives combined!

Still, a few things I really do envy yanks and Canadians for is their wilderness, public lands, big/dangerous game and the choice of 'weapon'. I reckon I could hack tags, reg's and limits for such a variety of true adventure hunts.

I do appreciate Ted's contributions on here for that reason. :good:

Couple of years back I had an American fella out as a favour to a pal of mine , we had our first fallow down by 7am , our second by 8,30 and his third by 9.15 ..gralloched and in the chiller by 11 am ..he could barely eat breakfast he was that excited , given he was telling everyone in the cafe in great detail all about our “hunting “trip , assuming everyone in there was keen on hunting as we were , he completely missed the tut tuts , frowns & head shaking of several woman ..

Late after noon we was sat up in a seat where he got number four , he could have got five but was still realaying the story of number four ( he seemed to have forgotten I was sitting next to him) when at least a dozen walked out behind him and made such a noise turning round he spooked  them ..

Dinner at my place and out for a couple of hours with the lamp , which took me a tidy amount of time to convince him  was legal over here , on the rabbits and fox ...he shot about fifteen rabbits and missed a fox ...

He shot more deer in one day than he’d shot in seven years ! He was blown away with how many deer we see and the fact we didn’t need tags , that we can sell venison and game , can go out lamping are allowed moderators on the rifle ..even rabbit shooting over there have a limit of five I think in a day ..his view on hunting in GB changed completely over the course of a day ..

His ten day holiday visiting my pal ended up with him spending four days of it at my place much to his wife’s displeasure ..

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
25 minutes ago, sussex said:

Couple of years back I had an American fella out as a favour to a pal of mine , we had our first fallow down by 7am , our second by 8,30 and his third by 9.15 ..gralloched and in the chiller by 11 am ..he could barely eat breakfast he was that excited , given he was telling everyone in the cafe in great detail all about our “hunting “trip , assuming everyone in there was keen on hunting as we were , he completely missed the tut tuts , frowns & head shaking of several woman ..

Late after noon we was sat up in a seat where he got number four , he could have got five but was still realaying the story of number four ( he seemed to have forgotten I was sitting next to him) when at least a dozen walked out behind him and made such a noise turning round he spooked  them ..

Dinner at my place and out for a couple of hours with the lamp , which took me a tidy amount of time to convince him  was legal over here , on the rabbits and fox ...he shot about fifteen rabbits and missed a fox ...

He shot more deer in one day than he’d shot in seven years ! He was blown away with how many deer we see and the fact we didn’t need tags , that we can sell venison and game , can go out lamping are allowed moderators on the rifle ..even rabbit shooting over there have a limit of five I think in a day ..his view on hunting in GB changed completely over the course of a day ..

His ten day holiday visiting my pal ended up with him spending four days of it at my place much to his wife’s displeasure ..

Just shows, the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Here in the British isles, we're fairly lucky when it comes to hunting and fishing, compared to other countries.  They have the game, and different types,  big open spaces, but very strict laws, weather thats a good or bad thing.

Atb j 

• Like 2

started off at my mates place were we stuck the sleeper semi cab.i cow called for  hrs and nothing.

come mid day i was pissed off so off to the next spot. nice secluded alfalfa pasture.set up the caller

15 mins and nothing again.

so drove north to an area were i seen elk in standing wheat field and the farmer said i could hunt there.

he had combined the field saturday and when i drove by i didnt see any elk.

so i went around the back of there and took a gander around,found a cow and calf prints but they disappeared in the track.

there was more crown land (anyone can hunt there but only on foot)

pulled in and started calling,nowt to be seen after 20mins.

so i drove out to check the wheat stubble and there was four elk grazing in an enclosure.

drove the full length of the field,parked up,loaded the rifle and donned my orange.

good 15min walk back to were i seen them.got to the corner and i could see her white arse.

just poked my head a bit further around to try and get the shot and she bolted 150yds.

but in true wild game style just stopped and the bush line,click off with the safety,cross hairs on her neck

kerboom elk down.fckn pumped to fck.

she aint a fully grown elk but most probably last years calf,still good to eat

16.35 she went down.strung up in me garage and no skinned out and its 7pm.

i need a beer and a bifter

roll on deer season

EDIT

what i should of done was took pics of the scrapes on the trees. I hunt good elk country but this place was seriously a spot. From when i left the truck til were the elk lay there was countless trees just wrecked by the bulls scraping 

i might go back and video it

Edited by Ted Newgent
  • Like 5
5 hours ago, sussex said:

I have tried to explain this to all my canadian hunting buddies. Told them we didnt have bag limits or tags or none of this BS laws with night hunting and wearing fckn orange.

they dont get it. They cant even wrap their heads around our laws.

its good here that there is places anyone can hunt but only the one animal per tag.

the fishing here is excellent, license is 30 dollars and if you see water you can fish it but again catch n release or bag limits.

i tried to explain if the elk problem was back in the UK the landowner would get them all culled, that you cant do here.

the reason why is because the government makes that much cash from hunters buying draw applications and buying tags. Plus Americans heading here to hunt and paying serous cash to do so. My mate charges 6000 USD for ONE whitetail deer buck.

hunting here is a cash cow

there is a lake north of me called Tobin Lake. Premier fishing. Barbless hooks and you can only keep certain size fish to eat. The fishing competition for the biggest walleye and pike draws fishermen from all over North America. 1st prize 100,000 CAD

big big big money here for hunting and fishing

i wish i could tell you more.......    

• Like 1