RAF Centenary fly-past.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Anyone else watch it ? Absolutely breathtaking and quite emotional, at times. If that didn't make you proud, there's something wrong with you ! What a spectacle !  

The future. A home grown sovereign sixth gen air superiority fighter! Tempest This is f***ing good stuff. The Europeans don't want us involved with their project and being the only tier 1 partner

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Rusty_terrier said:

Does that thing hover like a helicopter then turn the blades to propellers like a plane?

They flew fairly low over me yesterday mate with a few apache gunships,very impressive,they looked like huge karma drones,i think they can use the props in hover or plane mode.

34A318F500000578-3611263-image-m-25_1464283054429.jpg

1 hour ago, lurcherman 887 said:

Kept flying over my place so waited for the next load and got the green lazer pen out and tryed to shine it in the cockpits as they went by 

if you did , and caught , they prob flog you with the cat, in tower of London  , be careful    the site been watched as we speak  ., they spend  millions  on security  and Royal  family  , even  harry s   1/2 cast wife got personal  body guard , so i was told the other week .!!  

• Like 1

The future. A home grown sovereign sixth gen air superiority fighter! Tempest

This is f***ing good stuff. The Europeans don't want us involved with their project and being the only tier 1 partners on the F-35 and our own Taranis project we have a lot of in house experience on stealth aircraft tech. The Japs and the Swedes are interested, both bring a lot to the table. This is the sort of stuff I want to see and that gives me confidence in the UK becoming a successful independent global trading nation.

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/uk-unveils-new-next-generation-fighter-jet-called-tempest/

Tempest.png

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, Malt said:

Just reading up on those B, they will be able to fly with a pilot or without one! :o :good:

Probably largely as a result of the Taranis concept.

Mate, the level of integration with other assets these planes will have will be amazing. In the same way the F-35 is. They're not just interceptors anymore, they are highly mobile and connected intelligence and communication systems. The level of integration and information sharing between AWACS, warships, drones, subs, satellites and command is a huge step change.

Specifications include being able to fly unmanned, use swarming technology to control drones, include artificial intelligence deep learning and possess directed energy weapons. Another piece of tech being designed into Tempest is so-called Cooperative Engagement Capability, the ability to cooperate on the battlefield, sharing sensor data and messages to coordinate attack or defense.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tempest_(experimental_fighter)

Notice it mentions 'directed energy weapons'. There's the UK Dragonfire laser weapon in development now which I think will primarily be air defence for warships but the R&D will lead on to smaller fighter based units. The US-UK seem to be going down the energy weapon route, the Russians hyper-sonic missiles and the Chinese rail-guns. Obviously not exclusively for any of those but as general tends.

Despite all that national pride, what I really like is that we seem to be using and investing in this industry, making some good decisions and I think will pay off economically and strategically.

• Like 1

The US have a railgun on one of their warships and all from memory mate, not sure if they've fired it properly yet though.. Think its also a British designed one, or based on one.. :thumbs: