With it being breezy and slightly cooler I thought I would try my double that I recently opened the chokes slightly.

I did ok with it, two magpies, two crows and two woodies.

IMG_20180709_202033.jpg

IMG_20180709_200245.jpg

But the best was one of the woodies. Jess never noticed it drop in some long grass about 50yds away so I told her go get it pointing and off she went.

Eventually she caught a scent and to my amazement she retrieved it to me!! That's a first!

Good girl.

IMG_20180709_194217.jpg

U.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Rimfireboy! said:

Good shooting Nathan. What did you open the chokes up to? My Ugartechea is half and full, a bit tight really.

It is still tight mate at full and a tight half.

Before it was way to tight for its bores.

Like full and super full. It was difficult to shoot and I suspected ruining patterns.

Although still tight I seem to be connecting with it now!

U.

Hang on a mo. Where are the hammers? And there's cartridges !! Is this something to do with the current heatwave?

The crazy thing is that the market for sxs's is so low. One of the son in laws went in to his local gun shop to buy some 223 lead and a bloke came in trying to get rid of an Urg sxs sidelock just like that one. Shop didn't want it and the bloke ended up giving it to son in law just to get it out of his cabinet. totally crazy. It's a gun for goodness sake. Son in law got it in  neck from daughter for bringing another piece home even though it was a free be. She has told him that there is now a 5 mile exclusion zone around the gun shop!

Edited by Meece
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Yes, a little concerned about starting a fire with the front stuffers!

Yes, I had this for sale for two years in a shop!

It's a good gun, has some weight and should handle a heavy 2&3/4" case.

I don't know why SxS aren't selling. 

There are some good bargains out there just now.

U.

3 hours ago, Underdog said:

Yes, a little concerned about starting a fire with the front stuffers!

Yes, I had this for sale for two years in a shop!

It's a good gun, has some weight and should handle a heavy 2&3/4" case.

I don't know why SxS aren't selling. 

There are some good bargains out there just now.

U.

Personally I just can't get on with them, fired many over the years and never felt easy or comfortable.   Just my opinion, OU and Semis just fine for me! :thumbs:

• Like 1

The reason why they don’t sell as well I would guess is because O/Us and semis shoot and handle better . Just look at competition clay shots , not one of them shows up with a SBS . I do see a lot of very nice SBS’s on driven days . It is more traditional , but there are also serious game shots who don’t care too much for tradition and care more for killing cleanly so use an O/U . Each to their own . My first shotgun was an AYA yoeman SBS and I had it for years and only got rid about a year ago . I shot well enough with it , but I use a MK 38 sporterised trap gun now with Teagued 32 inch barrels. When I bought the gun the guy in the shop said if you can’t hit anything with it , it’s not the gun because it used to belong to former world and European champion, Micky Rouse . Having said that I reckon I would still prefer a 28inch SBS for rough shooting, because they are comparatively light to carry and fast handling for a quick pigeon or a flushed rabbit. 

55 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

The reason why they don’t sell as well I would guess is because O/Us and semis shoot and handle better . Just look at competition clay shots , not one of them shows up with a SBS . I do see a lot of very nice SBS’s on driven days . It is more traditional , but there are also serious game shots who don’t care too much for tradition and care more for killing cleanly so use an O/U . Each to their own . My first shotgun was an AYA yoeman SBS and I had it for years and only got rid about a year ago . I shot well enough with it , but I use a MK 38 sporterised trap gun now with Teagued 32 inch barrels. When I bought the gun the guy in the shop said if you can’t hit anything with it , it’s not the gun because it used to belong to former world and European champion, Micky Rouse . Having said that I reckon I would still prefer a 28inch SBS for rough shooting, because they are comparatively light to carry and fast handling for a quick pigeon or a flushed rabbit. 

Mate, you just contradicted yourself a few times and also implied a SxS does not kill as cleanly as an OU!

I don't adhere to your comments sorry.

U.

3 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Mate, you just contradicted yourself a few times and also implied a SxS does not kill as cleanly as an OU!

I don't adhere to your comments sorry.

U.

My 32 inch sporter lends itself to long crossers and distant targets . I have found it to be more sluggish when snap shooting say something like a bolting rabbit  at close range .Its the shot you fire that will or will not kill cleanly . The gun will help you get the shot in the right place that’s all . My comment about some game shots preferring an O/U Is because a lot of game shots use an O/U in I suppose preference to a SBS . Why do you think that is ? I’m not anti SBS , all I’m saying is what I’ve Experienced.  

• Like 1

It was just how it was written buddy.

That aside, I have seen some pretty lousy shooting from all types of guns.

Millions vote for something regularly but it often does not full fill the hopes of the voter!

Many think they can buy success, others are just decent shots ?

U.

3 minutes ago, Underdog said:

It was just how it was written buddy.

That aside, I have seen some pretty lousy shooting from all types of guns.

Millions vote for something regularly but it often does not full fill the hopes of the voter!

Many think they can buy success, others are just decent shots ?

U.

I go loading on a couple of estates during the season . And I’ve seen excellent shooting and guys that just can’t shoot . I’ve loaded for guns using SBS’s and they hit everything they shoot at and quality birds too . On the flip side I’ve seen guns turn up with a pair of superbly engraved Perazzi ‘s who couldn’t hit the proverbial barn door . I think that you would probably feel at a disadvantage with a SBS if you got into “high bird “ pheasant shooting. An O//U has the weight to soak up heavier loads and maintain swing . Not to say you couldn’t hit high birds with a SBS , but an O/U would be the one you would see most guns use . 

• Like 1

Is it all down to fashion perception? After all it is only a tube which shot goes down.  There is the "I can't get on with two triggers." "My gun kicks like a mule". And the persistent changing of chokes every  couple of minutes. I have and use all sorts from pump, SxS, O/U, SB, single  trigger, double trigger with no problem at all. it's all in the mind. Focus on the target, track, squeeze,  follow through.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1