29 minutes ago, Meece said:

Is it all down to fashion perception? After all it is only a tube which shot goes down.  There is the "I can't get on with two triggers." "My gun kicks like a mule". And the persistent changing of chokes every  couple of minutes. I have and use all sorts from pump, SxS, O/U, SB, single  trigger, double trigger with no problem at all. it's all in the mind. Focus on the target, track, squeeze,  follow through.

I would perhaps agree with the general idea of that, but it isn't ALL in the mind, some guns do kick, don't fit, and people don't like/get on with some aspects of them. 

Yes, most of us CAN shoot with pretty much any gun, but the results are not all the same, for some of us at least!

:thumbs:

Edited by Deker
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

I go loading on a couple of estates during the season . And I’ve seen excellent shooting and guys that just can’t shoot . I’ve loaded for guns using SBS’s and they hit everything they shoot at and quality birds too . On the flip side I’ve seen guns turn up with a pair of superbly engraved Perazzi ‘s who couldn’t hit the proverbial barn door . I think that you would probably feel at a disadvantage with a SBS if you got into “high bird “ pheasant shooting. An O//U has the weight to soak up heavier loads and maintain swing . Not to say you couldn’t hit high birds with a SBS , but an O/U would be the one you would see most guns use . 

I'm one of those that can't hit a thing, oh how I've tried with SGs and all the different variants, but I've given up, if I ever hit anything with one it was a fluke ? but then give me a rifle and I can shoot a flea off of a mouses nose at a thousand paces (maybe just slightly exaggerated). I have seen folk that it's just second nature to hit everything they point at with a SG, each to thier own huh, at least I know what my abilities are, C'est la vie! 

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Gav said:

I'm one of those that can't hit a thing, oh how I've tried with SGs and all the different variants, but I've given up, if I ever hit anything with one it was a fluke ? but then give me a rifle and I can shoot a flea off of a mouses nose at a thousand paces (maybe just slightly exaggerated). I have seen folk that it's just second nature to hit everything they point at with a SG, each to thier own huh, at least I know what my abilities are, C'est la vie! 

A friend of mine gave up his shotgun licence for the same reasons but with a rifle he is an excellent shot.

And by the way, I am just an average shot myself.

U.

• Like 1