More foxes!

I caught up with these two the other night hoovering pheasant poults up that were on the ground, they look like they are out of different litters to me though.

•  
  •  

The other one was back at my former neighbours where i shot the two vixens.

006.JPG

001.JPG

• Like 4

Well done , I’ve just released some of our poults last week. Now is the time to be on your game . With this hot weather the poults I released have taken a long time to start roosting, a lot are still just sat in the grass by the wire . In the past foxes have run up and down the fence line spooking the birds so that they fly over the fence . This is when cubs in particular will do a lot of killing. My method of dealing with this is to to park my truck near the pen , angled so that I can shoot off the bonnet. I recline the seat , get a pillow and quilt and wind the windows down and go to sleep . If Charlie starts any nonsense you will hear the birds chirping and flying about . Then it’s just a matter of spotting them and shooting them . In the past I’ve lamped them but this season I’m thermal . I’ve had no problems with my first two pens . Plan to release two more pens later this week . The Mrs thinks I’m mad , but I wouldn’t be able to sleep at home . Been chipping away at our fox population over the last few nights had a brace last Thursday and a singleton Friday. Also picked one up in a wire yesterday. Loving my thermal, it is a game changer. 

7EBFE4DC-F47A-41CC-8D23-ED86474D1864.jpeg

• Like 5

Just been back up to the pen for another look around, found more kills , I thought I would have been lucky to get away with just Three . It’s a sight that anyone who keeps pheasants will be familiar with . No matter how often I encounter fox kills it still boils my piss . Charlie will be sleeping his dinner off now . I hope he enjoyed it , it’s probably one of his last . Looks like a buzzard has been having a feed too .

AEBB59C8-CE30-4DF0-9BAF-D730C6CFAF2F.jpeg

17010130-A0D0-4CCF-9026-7E6E499B223E.jpeg

0DED6481-CA7A-4A02-9C77-72BCD771345A.jpeg

Edited by shovel leaner
  • Like 1
44 minutes ago, David.evans said:

Go get them shovel 

I'm sure that you will do the business!

atb mate 

don't forget to post the feed back 

I’ll let you know how I get on . I’ve dropped a  few wires in a bit of cover where I think I might pick him up . I haven’t been seeing any foxes near that pen with my thermal. Course doesn’t mean they aren’t there . It’s probably a cub . 

• Like 3

Go get im or her Shovel ,my last outing was a blank but the patches of feathers tell a tale so me n my trail cam are off  up Friday at a different time to see if mr Charles is sunbathing .Mr CCI seg says he will have a chat with the fox for me if he,s about and if not Trailcam can let me know whats occurring with the so n so .I only shot  1 of  the pair from the next farm along <anti shooting > but they were feeding on our end so 1 down ,1 to go .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well it was one of those nights . After walking the last poults back through the pop holes I put the mule in to what I thought would be the best place to shoot from , overlooking the killing area and with the wind in my face , this was about 9.0pm . Hadn’t been there long and the cattle found me and surrounded me . I moved away but they followed. This was turning into a joke , I’d move then they followed. I moved around the other side but this time I had the wind on my neck . About 10pm now and I spotted that unmistakable vulpine shape through the half light . Thermal on and it was defo Charlie come back for more poults. The Fox was quartering the ground looking and winding as it went . Trouble was I couldn’t take the shot because it would have been through the release pen wire . Just wanted it to come a bit further. Then it stopped in its tracks , looked straight towards me and quick as a flash it was gone , he’d winded me . Next thing my phone starts buzzing, and it’s this old dear who lives nearby saying that there are “yobs” in a conifer plantation lighting a fire . Time to go into angry farmer mode . After a load of back chat , fire out and “yobs “ gone. Went back to the pen and looking around with the thermal....nothing . Went and had a look around the estate and nothing but badgers and rabbits. I had left two poults out as deker suggested they were still there so I thought I might as well wait and watch . Cattle had gone now so back into a decent position. Gone 12 now and I’m thinking of bed , then a scan with the thermal and there she was . 100 meters and that was it . Took the photo this morning after I checked the snares . 

549861B1-B0A2-4140-992D-63BE78BC10EF.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
58 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

Well it was one of those nights . After walking the last poults back through the pop holes I put the mule in to what I thought would be the best place to shoot from , overlooking the killing area and with the wind in my face , this was about 9.0pm . Hadn’t been there long and the cattle found me and surrounded me . I moved away but they followed. This was turning into a joke , I’d move then they followed. I moved around the other side but this time I had the wind on my neck . About 10pm now and I spotted that unmistakable vulpine shape through the half light . Thermal on and it was defo Charlie come back for more poults. The Fox was quartering the ground looking and winding as it went . Trouble was I couldn’t take the shot because it would have been through the release pen wire . Just wanted it to come a bit further. Then it stopped in its tracks , looked straight towards me and quick as a flash it was gone , he’d winded me . Next thing my phone starts buzzing, and it’s this old dear who lives nearby saying that there are “yobs” in a conifer plantation lighting a fire . Time to go into angry farmer mode . After a load of back chat , fire out and “yobs “ gone. Went back to the pen and looking around with the thermal....nothing . Went and had a look around the estate and nothing but badgers and rabbits. I had left two poults out as deker suggested they were still there so I thought I might as well wait and watch . Cattle had gone now so back into a decent position. Gone 12 now and I’m thinking of bed , then a scan with the thermal and there she was . 100 meters and that was it . Took the photo this morning after I checked the snares . 

549861B1-B0A2-4140-992D-63BE78BC10EF.jpeg

:thumbs: