10 hours ago, bell said:

Mate of mine came and ringed it.....the others had fledged and were around the garden.....it will be going long haul to Africa soon.......

nice one mate,,when i think in the early eighties ,i knew of three nests every year in a hundred yard area of woodland..feck me they used to nest in peoples hanging baskets.long gone days..

19 minutes ago, byron said:

nice one mate,,when i think in the early eighties ,i knew of three nests every year in a hundred yard area of woodland..feck me they used to nest in peoples hanging baskets.long gone days..

This one nestled against the side of the house in a climbing rose.  Parents been really tame flitting about doing what they do ...

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, bell said:

This one nestled against the side of the house in a climbing rose.  Parents been really tame flitting about doing what they do ...

the last two nests I've seen have been against the bosses house and his office

• Like 2
On 08/07/2018 at 10:24, Gilbey said:

bugger, thought it was too dark for a flycatcher and it beaks wrong for a siskin..

All soft bill or insect eaters have big wide beaks/mouths like this one has where as finches have a lot slimmer beaks/mouths and there not so brightly marked either..

43 minutes ago, fireman said:

All soft bill or insect eaters have big wide beaks/mouths like this one has where as finches have a lot slimmer beaks/mouths and there not so brightly marked either..

similar chicks lol and they have a bit of a gape earlier on lol......kinda

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Gilbey said:

similar chicks lol and they have a bit of a gape earlier on lol......kinda

Many softbills have that orange,yellow edge to their mouths where as not many finches do and in general softbills do have wider mouths ,kinda ??...Lovely chick anyway and well done on the pic..

• Haha 1