Wooden Barrels ?

Guest Navek

Any reason using wooden ones ? The blue plastic ones are perfect for terriers..

if using for paterdale / Russel ect size then a good way is to cut them in half and then push the half’s over each other as in making th3 battle half its size cut a hol3 out front and fill with wax paper ..

2 minutes ago, Navek said:

Any reason using wooden ones ? The blue plastic ones are perfect for terriers..

if using for paterdale / Russel ect size then a good way is to cut them in half and then push the half’s over each other as in making th3 battle half its size cut a hol3 out front and fill with wax paper ..

Just like the look of wooden barrel is all mate . 

Do the plastic ones sweet a dog do ya know or cold in the winter compared to wooden ? Never used plastic barrel is the only reason I ask ?

12 minutes ago, marshman said:

Do the plastic ones sweet a dog do ya know or cold in the winter compared to wooden ? Never used plastic barrel is the only reason I ask ?

They condensate really bad mate.Dont look half as nice as a wooden one either.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Guest Navek
32 minutes ago, marshman said:

To be honest I’ve kept dogs in them befor but  Side on and a decent sized hole cut in the front and a big rubber cow  mat inside and din5 have problem with the condensation but maybe that was down to the rubber mat or th3 size of the door hole 

38 minutes ago, marshman said:

Lads you know of any reasonable priced wooden barrels to make a kennel off ? 

Terrier sized 

What part of the country you in mate, I know a few of the cider makers in and around Somerset sell the barrels, I guess there are other sources like distillery,s if your in Scotland or Ireland, though I recon it would work out just as cheap to just buy a load of tongue and groove and knock something up yourself in an arc shape 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Greyman said:

What part of the country you in mate, I know a few of the cider makers in and around Somerset sell the barrels, I guess there are other sources like distillery,s if your in Scotland or Ireland, though I recon it would work out just as cheap to just buy a load of tongue and groove and knock something up yourself in an arc shape 

Cheers mate your probably right there price wise ?

i used them for 6 years and i will tell you what i was told before i got them...dont bother ..lol  their a pain in the hole to clean out and are too heavy to maneuver about ...in the winter of 2009 i had them then...-8 to -12 at times ,,,i filled them with straw and they were toasty warm ,,so in that capacity no complaints ,,they cost 60 euros each ,and the smell  out of them was strong ,even after being left standing for weeks before use ...i went back to the timber standard boxes ,,easier all round i find

• Thanks 1

The good thing about wood is it's an insulator it's never cold or too warm it keeps a steady temperature inside and does not conduct the cold in from outside or let heat out and does not sweat. Fence planks with overlapping rebates in them make a great 10 year box

• Like 1