Neighbour's dog left alone all day........

On 06/07/2018 at 04:30, Blackbriar said:

Any sensible ideas ?

This is a tough one BB.

I'm in a similar situation at this end. The neighbours across the street have had their daughter and son in law move in with them. They're both early 20's, two toddlers and she's expecting a third. Son in law is out of work. They brought their cattle dog mix and mum and dad won't allow it in the house and as result, she was chained to a tether day and night.

Like you and yours, the neighbours were extremely concerned for the dog's welfare. They were bringing food and water and checking up. The poor animal was being harassed by coyotes in the night which was where my patience snapped. I went over and released her from the tether and brought her into my house. She's clearly traumatised now any time a lead goes near her. She's settled in with my dogs quickly and now she's out of the elements both extreme heat and cold. I went over to the neighbour and told him what I was doing, and why. I told him that I'm taking care of the dog until his son in law gets back on his feet. I don't want any money for food or vets I just want the dog to be cared for while they figure their sh*t out. It's still his dog and he can get her back any time he wants providing she doesn't go back on the tether and at the mercy of the coyotes.

If she does I'll go straight back over and bring her into my house. When the deputies come to intervene I'll gladly explain what I'm up to and which county ordinances have been broken and subsequently fixed with my intervention. The neighbours now call around every few days to see if we need any money for dog food or can they help with anything related and we're fine but I do appreciate the support and the sentiment.

The good news is they agreed to the foster. I since found out they were planning on taking her collar off and driving her over to the next county and letting her go. The dog is now safe and cared for. The bad news is I haven't seen the son in law for over a month and I reckon my foster might be permanent. I know many will roll their eyes but I cannot stand waste in any shape or form.

That's the dice you have to roll, though. If you do intervene, in whatever way, you have to see it through. JMO...

• Like 10

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is a tough one BB. I'm in a similar situation at this end. The neighbours across the street have had their daughter and son in law move in with them. They're both early 20's, two toddlers an

Unfortunately,.this is not a rare situation...? Some folk thinks they need a dog around the place,.whereas in fact,...they don't have the time or the savvy to get the best out of a canine pal...

Find the dog a good home and tell them it ran away.

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, ChrisJones said:

This is a tough one BB.

I'm in a similar situation at this end. The neighbours across the street have had their daughter and son in law move in with them. They're both early 20's, two toddlers and she's expecting a third. Son in law is out of work. They brought their cattle dog mix and mum and dad won't allow it in the house and as result, she was chained to a tether day and night.

Like you and yours, the neighbours were extremely concerned for the dog's welfare. They were bringing food and water and checking up. The poor animal was being harassed by coyotes in the night which was where my patience snapped. I went over and released her from the tether and brought her into my house. She's clearly traumatised now any time a lead goes near her. She's settled in with my dogs quickly and now she's out of the elements both extreme heat and cold. I went over to the neighbour and told him what I was doing, and why. I told him that I'm taking care of the dog until his son in law gets back on his feet. I don't want any money for food or vets I just want the dog to be cared for while they figure their sh*t out. It's still his dog and he can get her back any time he wants providing she doesn't go back on the tether and at the mercy of the coyotes.

If she does I'll go straight back over and bring her into my house. When the deputies come to intervene I'll gladly explain what I'm up to and which county ordinances have been broken and subsequently fixed with my intervention. The neighbours now call around every few days to see if we need any money for dog food or can they help with anything related and we're fine but I do appreciate the support and the sentiment.

The good news is they agreed to the foster. I since found out they were planning on taking her collar off and driving her over to the next county and letting her go. The dog is now safe and cared for. The bad news is I haven't seen the son in law for over a month and I reckon my foster might be permanent. I know many will roll their eyes but I cannot stand waste in any shape or form.

That's the dice you have to roll, though. If you do intervene, in whatever way, you have to see it through. JMO...

Good man Chris.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, ChrisJones said:

This is a tough one BB.

Honest to f**k can't get my head around that, and I've seen video of another yank doing exactly the same! (not suggesting it's exclusively American behaviour)

I understand some folks want rid for whatever reason. The bit I can't get my head around is that they find it easier to dump the poor animal than just shoot it. Emotionally or for than matter physically.

What the f**k do they think is going to happen to a dumped dog?

Edited by Born Hunter
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, Born Hunter said:

Honest to f**k can't get my head around that, and I've seen video of another yank doing exactly the same! (not suggesting it's exclusively American behaviour)

I understand some folks want rid for whatever reason. The bit I can't get my head around is that they find it easier to dump the poor animal than just shoot it. Emotionally or for than matter physically.

What the f**k do they think is going to happen to a dumped dog?

Not exclusive but it's a massive problem over here. The shelters are full to bursting and the second one goes to a home or is PTS there's another to take its place. I don't have much experience with British dog rescues but the value of animals here seems to be a contradiction of attitude extremes. When my ACD came into the shelter he was in a right mess and the caller had phoned them and said if they didn't collect him within the hour he'd shoot him yet he's one of the most stable dogs I've had the pleasure of working with. The local rural shelters are essentially holding units containing military surplus transportation crates. A few days in these 'kennels' and the animals literally cook in the desert sun... Yet pet products is a $60billion a year industry. :blink:

I have no issue with culling surplus providing it's done humanely. I have no issue with breeders looking after their own lines but peddlers are the main reason the shelters are chocked full of surplus animals, IMHO. Sh*t we even have a shop in town called The Puppy Store...

The mentality behind dumping a dog I just cannot get my head around besides thinking that may be out of sight is out of mind but the whole culture in some areas is disposable. If you just throw it out someone will come along and clean it up. That applies to pizza boxes as well as pets and even people...

• Thanks 1