Neighbour's dog left alone all day........

One of our neighbour are a young couple, who have a Staffy X. Nice, friendly dog but..........they go out (separately) every day and leave the dog alone. He's in a suitably sized cage, has food and water, but they're gone for anything from 6 to 12 hours or more. It started as an hour or two (which I don't have an issue with), but now it's pretty much all day, everyday. They've stopped walking him and, when they're home, he's outside for a pee and straight back in - no more than a few minutes.

I've spoken to them, several times, suggesting that I've heard other neighbours talking about this - which I have - and their solution seems to be to give us their keys and ask us to let him out a few times during the day ! I've had strong words, laying the law down, but it just carries on. Today, she knocked at 10am and said she was going to the hospital, back around 6pm ! Who goes to the hospital for 8 hours FFS ? Last weekend, they left the keys on Friday morning and didn't come back until late Sunday night ! I'm pretty sure that if we said "no", they'd leave him anyway !

We've never fallen out, so I've nothing personal against them - my concern is solely for the dogs wellfare but, on the other hand, I know his fate, should the ArsePCA get their hands on him !

I'm not sure what to do, every approach I taken has failed. I don't actually want to get anyone into trouble, and I'm not even sure that any law has been broken, so who would help anyway ?

Any sensible ideas ?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is a tough one BB. I'm in a similar situation at this end. The neighbours across the street have had their daughter and son in law move in with them. They're both early 20's, two toddlers an

Unfortunately,.this is not a rare situation...? Some folk thinks they need a dog around the place,.whereas in fact,...they don't have the time or the savvy to get the best out of a canine pal...

Find the dog a good home and tell them it ran away.

Posted Images

Is the dog suffering?

I have to leave my dog for at least 7-8 hours a day. (Big walk in the morning and straight out as soon as I come home) he never cries, has freedom of the home etc. When I first had to do it, i asked the neighbours to keep an ear open and at first sign of issue phone me. Never received a call ;)

So I would say unless the dog is showing signs of neglect or trauma or is barking it's bollocks off all day, I'd let it be but I wouldn't be allowing the owners to take the piss. Start charging them an hourly rate for walking the dog?

• Like 7

I'll let you make your own decisions but I'm quite happy leaving a dog 9-10 hours with 1 walk a day.

What you're talking about sounds a bit more than that. Sounds more like a taking the piss problem than an animal welfare problem but could become a welfare problem if they have no one to take the piss out of. It's not fair to make that call until it happens though imo.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

I'll let you make your own decisions but I'm quite happy leaving a dog 9-10 hours with 1 walk a day.

What you're talking about sounds a bit more than that. Sounds more like a taking the piss problem than an animal welfare problem but could become a welfare problem if they have no one to take the piss out of. It's not fair to make that call until it happens though imo.

I think that's what I'm trying to get really, Born.

Like I said, I don't want to get anyone into bother, but how do I stop them shifting their responsibilities onto some one else (ie............me) ?

2 minutes ago, Blackbriar said:

I think that's what I'm trying to get really, Born.

Like I said, I don't want to get anyone into bother, but how do I stop them shifting their responsibilities onto some one else (ie............me) ?

I'm not really best person to help with that. I'm fiercely independent and the moment I get a whiff of potentially depending on someone or becoming a crutch for someone I preempt the problem. They're difficult situations.

I'd probably make it clear I can't be reliable and see how they adapt to that. If you know they're going to be needing you tomorrow, tell em you are away and be intentionally awkward about it. See how they adapt to that and go from there. I don't mind helping people but it's offered not assumed.

It'll be more difficult to deal with when you do feel that there is a welfare issue, so lets hope they adapt appropriately.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, marshman said:

Nosey neighbor lol clocking what time they are in and out ? 

Far from it MM ! I studiously mind my own business, but we live on a small cul-de-sac and a few of the old girls sit by their windows all day long, watching the comings and goings............can't do f***all without someone seeing you !

The old dear on the other side of us is a major pest - nosey beyond belief - loves a good gossip, knows everyone's business..........pain in the ar5e, in short 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, forest of dean redneck said:

Is their back garden secure? Can’t someone let it have run of the garden for couple hours.

No side gate, mate. It would be away in no time...........

25 minutes ago, marshman said:

Suggest they get an outside kennel,  as long as the dog got shade and water should be as a pig in the proverbial. 

Make sure the garden is secure then do as marshman says.

• Like 1