1 hour ago, Kerny92 said:

That's the thing with raw, from what I've read it's fine and healthy and almost certainly beneficial for the most part but if your dog eats something off it can be very bad for them and even  your own health.

I wouldnt worry too much about that.Ive seen mine over the fields scoffing stinking stuff that looks like its been dead for weeks with maggots crawling out of it as if its a prime fillet steak.A dogs stomach acid is something like 50times stronger than ours.Id be a bit careful feeding anything a bit whiffy to young pups but wouldnt worry too much once they're over a few months old.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Like i said in an above post if you're really into your dogs does it matter.I know so many lads who claim to be dog men who will happily by a £20 bag of weed a day or 8cans every night or £80 up their

help your self why dont you !!! ha 

I've fed almost exclusively on chicken with no issues and I gave plenty of pork to, again with no issues.  The only issues I had from pork was they struggled to pass the bone, I had to take one to the

Posted Images

Yep, you'd be surprised what a dog can stomach. When I was a butcher if beef was fresh and not hung well I often stuck it out the back in the sun and it would start to go off. That would mature it a lot quicker for our customers and there'd be no complaints. Beef should be hung for two weeks. Horse flesh too needs to be 6 or 7 days old before feeding to dogs or hounds. Feed fresh horse flesh and your hounds will sqour .

On 10/07/2018 at 20:10, neil cooney said:

I see raw pork mentioned there a couple of times. The meat I get sometimes has pork in it and I was feeding it (with no problems) but I recently heard of a parasite or similar that raw pork contains and it killed hounds in kennel so I stopped feeding the pork.

Has anyone else heard of this ?

They say you have to be carefull feeding raw pork as it could be infected with the "Aujeszky" disease and it could be fatal for dogs.

Thanks for that Stormer. I just googled it and it appears that commercial pork is safe to feed to dogs but not wild boar or feral pigs etc. but most of that research is American and I think where I read about it was in an English hunting magazine from a few years ago.

I'll take a chance and go back to feeding it the odd time I get it.

Shane, chickens great, bones an all, but after a few days I like them back on the beef for that bit of fat.

• Like 1

I've fed almost exclusively on chicken with no issues and I gave plenty of pork to, again with no issues.  The only issues I had from pork was they struggled to pass the bone, I had to take one to the vet for a quick "finger blasting" !!  My mate had the same problem with his terrier, he phoned me while he was on the way to the same vet and I told him what he did for my dog. This boy wasn't frightened of "having a go himself", he phoned me back after a few minutes laughing his bollocks off, he was cover in shit, all up his chest lol

Edited by dillydog
  • Like 3
  • Haha 8
  • Sad 1

when i had a few staffs in the kennels they would each have 1 whole pigs head a week.hung from the top of the run. metal bar pushed through 1 ear and out of the other and tied up a few feet off the floor so they had to stand on there back legs to eat it.thats all would be left the next morning was a few pigs teeth on the floor.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, dillydog said:

I've fed almost exclusively on chicken with no issues and I gave plenty of pork to, again with no issues.  The only issues I had from pork was they struggled to pass the bone, I had to take one to the vet for a quick "finger blasting" !!  My mate had the same problem with his terrier, he phoned me while he was on the way to the same vet and I told him what he did for my dog. This boy wasn't frightened of "having a go himself", he phoned me back after a few minutes laughing his bollocks off, he was cover in shit, all up his chest lol

So you've had no issues then ?

16 hours ago, dillydog said:

When you say finger blasting are you talking about using your finger to irritate the bowel and make the dog shit ?????

I've used a piece of straw and a biro on  dogs in the past and walked them with it in them to make them shit. Both times it was to get the last few ounces off the dog.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, snizle06 said:

Yes. To much bone in it. Good feed but they need a break from it every couple of days imo 

I've always tried to feed a varied diet, meat bone offal along with dry and veg. A lad I know fed mainly chicken backs to his dogs and they seemed to do ok.