I've never given my dogs an out and out raw diet, just the occasional treat. Thinking of going down that route but got a few questions.

1) How much do you actually feed a Terrier? Measured amounts or ensure food is in the bowl at all times?

2) What are the costs compared to biscuits or tripe for instance.

3) Are the benefits really worth the inconvenience.

4) Are the health dangers real? Have your dogs or any people you know been ill due to the bacteria.

5) Do the dogs need any supplements with the diet? 

6) Are they any considerations to take when feeding puppies this diet? 

Edited by Kerny92

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Like i said in an above post if you're really into your dogs does it matter.I know so many lads who claim to be dog men who will happily by a £20 bag of weed a day or 8cans every night or £80 up their

help your self why dont you !!! ha 

I've fed almost exclusively on chicken with no issues and I gave plenty of pork to, again with no issues.  The only issues I had from pork was they struggled to pass the bone, I had to take one to the

Posted Images

There's no set amount, just play it by eye, if a dog starts to look overweight give it a bit less etc. I started feeding raw proper about 3 years ago and couldn't go back to just biscuit. The dogs thrive on it, they look healthy and shiny and maintain a good solid look even after a hard day. I still get biscuits just in case i forget to defrost the meat and the next morning there'll be about 5 shits in each pen and the water bowls are almost totally empty, that can't be good for them. I was feeding a mixture of chicken and beef but they seem to look better on tripe so that's what they get mainly now. Add in table leftovers and the odd bit of brown bread, bits of veg and sardines etc now and then.

• Like 10

Mix it up with different meat everyday so they don't get bored?I wouldn't feed anything other than barf, topped up by a quality complete biscuit. Less shit, smell and dogs last and look better on it imo. 

• Like 2
58 minutes ago, Rabbit Hunter said:

There's no set amount, just play it by eye, if a dog starts to look overweight give it a bit less etc. I started feeding raw proper about 3 years ago and couldn't go back to just biscuit. The dogs thrive on it, they look healthy and shiny and maintain a good solid look even after a hard day. I still get biscuits just in case i forget to defrost the meat and the next morning there'll be about 5 shits in each pen and the water bowls are almost totally empty, that can't be good for them. I was feeding a mixture of chicken and beef but they seem to look better on tripe so that's what they get mainly now. Add in table leftovers and the odd bit of brown bread, bits of veg and sardines etc now and then.

Bang on with that i cook up all the veg peelings as well and have started using scottish salmon oil  

• Like 3

Ive always fed meat as half of my dogs diet even when i did use stuff from a bag but for the last 5/6 years ive fed exclusively raw.I normally pop into Morrisons a couple of evenings and look for whatever is reduced so they're always getting something different Beef,lamb,chicken and various offal.I alao by the cheap frozen bags of green veg broccoli,sprouts,kale etc which i just defrost and mix in with their meat.It might be a little more expensive and a tiny bit more time consuming but if you're really as into your dogs as some claim to be does it really matter.

• Like 8

The thing about tripe or lungs is ya need to watch out for worm eggs left in the belly of the lamb. They can hatch out when your dog eats em and be a right disaster. Even with regular worming if eating tripe or lung continuously can be dangerous. It sure puts on condition tho but you got to weigh up the positivesun and the negatives. My opinion a good quality nut is cleaner and easier and less smellier in this heat especially 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, downsouth said:

Ive always fed meat as half of my dogs diet even when i did use stuff from a bag but for the last 5/6 years ive fed exclusively raw.I normally pop into Morrisons a couple of evenings and look for whatever is reduced so they're always getting something different Beef,lamb,chicken and various offal.I alao by the cheap frozen bags of green veg broccoli,sprouts,kale etc which i just defrost and mix in with their meat.It might be a little more expensive and a tiny bit more time consuming but if you're really as into your dogs as some claim to be does it really matter.

Always get the bargains, butcher in morissons is old lurcher lad and sorts me meaty beef bones etcIMG_20180119_143605_551.jpg.ae33a83ec55049a82f6935ebd5d5bf6e.jpg

• Like 4

Fcuk feeding nuts I had to feed nut's for two day's last week and for day's their shits were like pancakes and the stink off them was rotten,my dog's always hold till there out of their pen to have a shit but not with nut's the pen does be destroyed, people who feed dry should be shot with their own digs shite. 

• Haha 3
3 minutes ago, Kerny92 said:

I should imagine it's way more expensive than dry foods? 

About £50 per month used to feed a bull x and 4/5 terriers, I used to pick up roadkill etc?always eyes out for a freebee?

• Like 1

Local abattoir, Wednesday or Thursday for the beef trimming and chicken carcass,  Mondays and Tuesdays for the tripe. I don't feed tripe very often, I stick to the beef trimmings and either give a small amount of biscuits in the morning or evening too. 

Cost is zero, just the way I like it 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
21 minutes ago, Kerny92 said:

I should imagine it's way more expensive than dry foods? 

Like i said in an above post if you're really into your dogs does it matter.I know so many lads who claim to be dog men who will happily by a £20 bag of weed a day or 8cans every night or £80 up their hooter on a saturday night but wont do a score a week on their dogs.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 4