Hunting with Bows is there a limit on poundage

Just a query really, its not possible for me to bow hunt over here in the UK the closet we get is field archery. 

I was at a history event over the weekend as a member of public(normally on the other side of the fence as a re-enactor) anyway I was watching one of the weapon demos and they came to the bit about the longbows. I know a fair bit about having used and also do historical  displays  with them over the last 28 years. But its also good to see someone elses take. They got onto the subject of hunting with bows and mentioned in the states there limited to a 45lb draw weight for hunting was just wondering is this case from the horses mouth so to speak. I can understanding possibly limiting compound bows as they store the power differently  and even light poundage even pack a pack a punch. But flat bows/longbows this could really them especially for a decent distance shot. I mainly shoot 60+ currently have a 90lb longbow and 70lb hungarian horse back bow.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, mushroom said:

Completely banned and illegal in UK mate, no matter the draw or bow type ;)

Yep I know that field archery does come a close second, depends on the layout of the course remember a course I used to shoot, one of the targets was a pheasant amongst some big bush rondedrum I think. And the only way to get the bugger at the first peg was to shoot under the branch in front, smashed a few arrows on that one till i sussed it

• Like 1
21 hours ago, ferretracer said:

Just a query really, its not possible for me to bow hunt over here in the UK the closet we get is field archery. 

I was at a history event over the weekend as a member of public(normally on the other side of the fence as a re-enactor) anyway I was watching one of the weapon demos and they came to the bit about the longbows. I know a fair bit about having used and also do historical  displays  with them over the last 28 years. But its also good to see someone elses take. They got onto the subject of hunting with bows and mentioned in the states there limited to a 45lb draw weight for hunting was just wondering is this case from the horses mouth so to speak. I can understanding possibly limiting compound bows as they store the power differently  and even light poundage even pack a pack a punch. But flat bows/longbows this could really them especially for a decent distance shot. I mainly shoot 60+ currently have a 90lb longbow and 70lb hungarian horse back bow.

That's minimum draw weight mate, not maximum. I think it's state law too, not federal so will probably vary but broadly speaking there are minimum draw weights for hunting in the US. No max to my knowledge. Paul Schafer was known for hunting all sorts with 80-100lb+ draw trad' bows and many compound hunters today are using 80lb+ bows.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Born Hunter said:

I believe saltwater bowfishing may not be legislated against in the UK.... but that's about it. LOL

I thought spear fishing was only allowed with license in the UK. I'd have to look it up. Here I can by a spear gun and the license to use it, in Decathalon ffs ?

Nope! I was wrong, you don't need a license to spearfish in Britain's coastal waters but..... the spear gun itself is classed an offensive weapon and is controlled/governed under those laws. Basically the same as a knife ?

10 minutes ago, mushroom said:

I thought spear fishing was only allowed with license in the UK. I'd have to look it up. Here I can by a spear gun and the license to use it, in Decathalon ffs ?

I've never heard of any license being needed to buy or use.

4 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

I've never heard of any license being needed to buy or use.

Just looked into it and laws are exactly the same here in regards to equipment, safe practice etc, except here you need to get a license and a speargun isn't classed as "offensive weapon" unless it's used as one ?

Just now, mushroom said:

Just looked into it and laws are exactly the same here in regards to equipment, safe practice etc, except here you need to get a license and a speargun isn't classed as "offensive weapon" unless it's used as one ?

Yeah but under UK offensive weapon law ain't there a caveat for people that use such 'weapons' legitimately? For instance a machete is an offensive weapon if you fancy a mooch down the highstreet but it isn't if you are cutting brush?

I think a speargun is perfectly legal if being used for legit fishing purposes.

• Like 1
Just now, Born Hunter said:

Yeah but under UK offensive weapon law ain't there a caveat for people that use such 'weapons' legitimately? For instance a machete is an offensive weapon if you fancy a mooch down the highstreet but it isn't if you are cutting brush?

I think a speargun is perfectly legal if being used for legit fishing purposes.

Aye I mentioned that before about it being the same as a knife... so if you have reasonable reason, then theres no issue. 

• Like 1