Advice required about Shotguns

7 hours ago, Underdog said:

Most people have what I think they call a stigmatism in that one eye can be not perfectly round and the focusing muscles get tired trying to compensate.

I developed it a decade ago. My glasses made a huge difference.

Have you had a test recently?

Yeah the other month, only need the smallest strength lenses as I only struggle when looking at things really close up. Distance is no problem, only when I have my left eye shut. Optician said if he put a stronger one in for the right it would cause all sorts of imbalance. Also I’d end up looking like that bloke from Harry Potter with one big eye as the lense would be well thick ? 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Longshanx said:

Yeah the other month, only need the smallest strength lenses as I only struggle when looking at things really close up. Distance is no problem, only when I have my left eye shut. Optician said if he put a stronger one in for the right it would cause all sorts of imbalance. Also I’d end up looking like that bloke from Harry Potter with one big eye as the lense would be well thick ? 

Sounds like what I have. To much squinting through key holes when I was younger.

• Haha 2

you should learn to shoot cack handed and save yourself the time in the long run.my left eye is so dominant that i started shooting one eye shut for a whole year.gave up on that and then shot with both eyes .2 years later took lessons and was told to shoot left handed.would not do that so i have soldiered on.went to the basc stand at a game show and the instructor said how can you shoot anything with your left eye being so dominant,you should not be able too and you should learn to shoot from the left.anyway another 4 years down the line i can shoot at about the 90% hit rate now but i have to pre mount to get everything lined up first .i have learned to ignore what i see through my left eye but this is not what i would do if i was just starting out

I agree go to a clay ground and get assessed by an instructor.

Personally, I think you might find shooting left handed hard. Shotguns are about a smooth swing and that could be difficult to achieve with your weak hand steadying the gun and controlling the butt and your strong hand making the swing. I've never come across this, but I'm sure instructors have. Personally, my instinct is to think you'll probably learn to shoot perfectly well with the "wrong" eye dominant as I would have thought the only difference it's going to make is the amount of lead (leed (deliberate mis-spelling) not lead as in shot!) you give the target. At the end of the day, both eyes are looking down the barrel, the only difference between the two is which side of the barrel they look down. Personally I never see the barrel / sight when shooting shotgun. I just see the target and the shot go where I'm looking so the rest is judgement - I know where I'm looking is where the barrels are.

Edited by Alsone
  • Like 1
14 hours ago, .357shooter said:

you should learn to shoot cack handed and save yourself the time in the long run.my left eye is so dominant that i started shooting one eye shut for a whole year.gave up on that and then shot with both eyes .2 years later took lessons and was told to shoot left handed.would not do that so i have soldiered on.went to the basc stand at a game show and the instructor said how can you shoot anything with your left eye being so dominant,you should not be able too and you should learn to shoot from the left.anyway another 4 years down the line i can shoot at about the 90% hit rate now but i have to pre mount to get everything lined up first .i have learned to ignore what i see through my left eye but this is not what i would do if i was just starting out

Might sound weird but I shoot right handed both eyes open, the left being the dominant eye, works for me using rifles with scopes, with a good hit rate. In the field and on the range. Done it that way for years. 

Cant do this technique using iron sights so shoot left handed with irons, only from a bench with my mate spotting the first few rounds.

So my logic is I will probably have to shoot left handed using a shotgun??

Going to go to a clay ground with a tutor and see what he suggests.

might take some getting use to but just going to have to practice?.

48 minutes ago, Alsone said:

I agree go to a clay ground and get assessed by an instructor.

Personally, I think you might find shooting left handed hard. Shotguns are about a smooth swing and that could be difficult to achieve with your weak hand steadying the gun and controlling the butt and your strong hand making the swing. I've never come across this, but I'm sure instructors have. Personally, my instinct is to think you'll probably learn to shoot perfectly well with the "wrong" eye dominant as I would have thought the only difference it's going to make is the amount of lead (leed (deliberate mis-spelling) not lead as in shot!) you give the target. At the end of the day, both eyes are looking down the barrel, the only difference between the two is which side of the barrel they look down. Personally I never see the barrel / sight when shooting shotgun. I just see the target and the shot go where I'm looking so the rest is judgement - I know where I'm looking is where the barrels are.

Thanks for the input?? 

I shoot both eyes open so might work out ok with a bit of luck??

Im definitely going to have to try the clay ground, been itching to start shooting shotgun for a while, so need to get my butt in gear. 

Then hopefully get some nice pigeon meat on the table?

You will not have to shoot left handed. I would suggest a top quality coach to really check on your capability for using the gun right handed. I have been shooting clays for well over 40 years at club and national level with a problem right eye (soft image) but still manage to straighten our trap layouts regularly and win a few sporting events as well. If you don't mind travelling for a good coach, get in touch with Hamish Patterson who is an excellent coach and someone I have sent a number of people to, all of which have been delighted. Due to the change in the law, I won't post his mobile on here but if you want it, let me know and I will pm the details to you.

It is how you manage the problem and as Underdog has said, go for glasses to resolve the issue.

Regarding guns, Winchester can be very sharp in the shoulder and to be honest for me, need a good recoil pad and NONE better than an Isis pad. If you are shooting mainly clays, for for a 30'' barrel as you have far better swing and pointability. My wife and myself both shoot with 32'' barrel guns but not the best length to start off with.

When buying a shotgun, you must consider resale value as most of us swap guns many times during our shooting lives particularly clay shooters so the three brands that will always sell and maintain a decent price are Beretta, Browning and Miroku guns, all of which have won countless thousands of competitions world wide so you know they will not let you down.

You will pay more for one of the big three above but it is a move you will not regret.

Phil

• Like 2

Good advice although for me I find little difference between Winchester and Browning. Winchester guns are designed by Browning in any event.

Probably something no-one has touched upon up to now is balance. One very good reason for trying a few different guns under an instructor or even at a clay shoot that allows guests is the fact that most people fall into 1 of 2 main camps - Beretta and Browning. Many of the mainstream guns are made from designs from these 2 factories and if you do go for something a little more exotic, whether cheap or expensive, you will at least have some idea of what you like. Winchester being made from Browning are very similar to Browning and Miroku guns in balance (also Browning design). So if you like Winchester, you'll also like Browning and Miroku. Personally I'd have no hesitation in buying a Winchester shotgun if you like shooting the one you've tried. Just make sure you also get some advice on wear to ensure you're not buying a clapped out gun or one out of proof.

I got what they used to call a 'lazy eye' in my right eye. Smack bang in the middle I can't see shit. I'm right handed, do EVERY thing right handed....except shoot. I got a total of 6 guns and they're all left handed apart from my Wincester SX3. I shoot it left handed but it spits out the empties across my right eye, but it's never been a problem. If your right eye is duff just be resided to the fact you'll have to shoot lefty. You'll get used to it in no time. If I hold a gun, of any sort, to my right shoulder it just feels so wrong. I think 'How the hell do people shoot like this???'   ?